[comp.sys.apple] PCTransporter

infoapple@pro-colony.UUCP (Info Apple) (10/18/87)

I need to clarify a couple of things in a previous post about the Little Blue
card from AE.

> 1: The Apple 5.25 drives can be used to read (read only) IBM formatted disks
and access data or programs for the AE card.

In order to read an IBM formatted disk you must have an IBM type drive.  Once
you have loaded you software and are running under MS-DOS you can save (or
copy) your files to an Apple 5.25 (143k) disk and run them from there.  What
this means is that if you are in a school (or similar) situation, you could
buy say 5 Little Blues, and buy one of the AE IBM type drives, then transfer
your IBM programs to MS-DOS formatted Apple 5.25 (143k) drives and use the Apple
disks for everybody.  (this way you only have to buy one AE drive). Another
way you could do this is to use the Apple 3.5 drive (the grey ones) and plug
it directly to the back of the 'Lil Blue.  This will now function as a 720k
IBM drive.  btw, the AE 5.25 drive is a 360k drive.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
INET: pro-colony!dale@pro-sol.cts.com
proline: [ pro-carolina  pro-party  pro-sol ] dale@pro-colony
pro-colony :-> 1 214 370-7056 - 300/1200 - 24 hrs

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (10/20/87)

eww@oberon.LCS.MIT.EDU writes:

> 1:The Apple 5.25 drives can be used to read (read only) IBM formatted
> disks and access data or programs for the AE card.

        Is this right?  I would think that IBM formatted double-sided, double-
density disks couldn't be read by Apple's 5.25 drives.  I can see programs
received via modem being stored on apple drives, but do you mean that actual
IBM disks can be put in apple drives and read?

Curious,

Bill Dickson.

PS: I get answers to my letters 3 days before I get my letters back.  Anybody
else experiencing this?

eww@OBERON.LCS.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) (10/21/87)

>>and then the Apple can read the IBM Formatted disks on its 5.25 drives..
<Uhhhhh.... sorry! No. But the IBM drive (required) can copy programs and
data to Apple Prodos formatted disks and then can utilize the Apple disks
as they were IBM (except of course) that 360K is going to require a few
140K Apple disks to get all the stuff and I dunno how they are dealing with
segmented files in this environment.

I am also shakey on how the hard drive (if used) is using the partitioning
(as in SIDER hard drive) for IBM data. AE says that when the utilities disk
is run, the Blue card grabs area (read space) and keeps it for IBM.
Answers or users comments PLEASE?

delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN (Grant Delaney) (10/22/87)

According to CALL A.P.P.L.E. which just arrived today.

In fact AE has announced a peripheral card that will allow 3.5" disks, either
Apple or IBM compatable to be used interchangeably on either an Apple 3.5 or
an IBM compatable 3.5" drive  (the only caveat is that the disk should be
formatted on an IBM drive, because it (the IBM) uses the disk index holes.

This is how the old 8 inchers used to work and was often refered to as hard
sectored disks as most came preformatted and all tracks start from the same
point.

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Operator) (12/07/87)

My experiance with PC Transporter.

First, my system setup:

      Slot            Enhanced Apple //e
      Aux.        RamWorks III 1 meg
       1          Serial Pro (clock/serial card)
       2          DataLink Modem
       3          TransWarp
       4          PC Transporter & 1 5.25" 360k drive
       5          Apple UniDisk 3.5
       6          Disk ][ Interface
       7          Sider ][ 20 Meg w/ROM from ATS

Installing the board:

Ok, to install the PC Transporter (PCT for short) in my //e I had to first
plug a piggyback cable onto my keyboard cable (not needed if you are using the
option IBM keyboard), this was a little tricky as I already have a numeric
keyboard piggybacked on to it.  You need to make sure that this cable is
plugged in all the way or you could have problems booting up your machine.
The next cable to install is the speaker cable.  In order to get IBM audio
through the Apple speaker you must unplug the Apple speaker cable from the
motherboard and plug it into the PCT.  There is then a cable that goes from
the speaker jack on the motherboard to the PCT.  The last cable to install is
the drive cable.  This has a DB19 connector that goes into the back panel of
the //e and plugs onto the back of the PCT.

Getting it running:

To get the PCT running, you must boot up the supplied (ProDOS) disk (it comes
with both 3.5" and Apple 5.25").  There is a ProDOS system file that runs to
'turn the PCT on'.  At this point you get the PCT title screen and it will
then atempt to find a MS-DOS system disk.  At this point you can press the
space bar a couple of times, this will stop the boot procedure and take you to
the PCT menu.  Options on this menu are:

         Display the Keyboard map (it detects what machine you are running)
         Assign Drivers
         Exit menu and return to MS-DOS
         Re-Boot PCT (you must do this after changing drivers)
         Exit to ProDOS

The first time you run the software it does an auto-configuration.  It looks
for the cards it can identify and loads the drivers for those cards.
You can also manually install the drivers. ie: mouse driver, printer card
drivers, clock drivers, etc.  You can also assign the drives to anything from
A to E.  It supports 5 MS-DOS drives at a time.   At this time you can set up
a MS-DOS hard disk section on your hard disk.  To do this, you must change
your hard disk volume in the drive section to the ProDOS volume you want used
for MS-DOS.  If this ProDOS file does not already exist, it will prompt you
for the size you want the MS-DOS 'hard disk' to be and it will create it.
>From there, you need to boot into MS-DOS (not supplied) and use FDISK (not
supplied) to format the 'hard disk'.

Once you have MS-DOS installed on your hard disk you can boot into MS-DOS
right from a ProDOS program selector or by running the file 'AEPC.SYSTEM' from
BASIC.

Using PCT under ProDOS:

The PCT acts as an Apple II Memory Expansion card under ProDOS.  There is
about 12k of overhead used by the card for emulation.  So with a 768k (640k
IBM mode) board, you get about 755k of /RAMdisk.  AppleWorks v1.3 & 2.0 will
also use the card for extra desktop (no expansion software is provided like
with the RamFactor card).  You can also use the 360k IBM drive and the
Platinum 3.5" Apple drive as ProDOS disks with the PCT.

Final note:

I tried to send a few replies to people that sent me e-mail, but I have gotten
all of them back.  Anybody have any suggestions as to why?!?  I replied to the
'Reply to:' header in the message, but apparently I didn't get something
right.  I am a member of the ProLine Network and don't have a whole lot of
experience using AARP or UUCP networks.  Any help would be appreciated.

                                                 dale

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
ProLine: dale@pro-colony

            pro-colony :-> 1 214 370-7056 - 300/1200 - 24 hrs

god3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Peter Godwin) (01/19/88)

I am seriously considedring purchasing a PC Transporter.

Before doing so, I would like some comments from those who have already
purchased one, what type of system they purchased, performance, etc.

Also, as I hear it, if you have a hard drive you can partition part
of it for use with the PC Transporter in IBM mode.

I have a Sider and heard from somewhere that this was true.

Any comments on the function, etc of the PC Transporter and the drives
Applied Engineering sells, their keyboards, extra chips and compatibility
with current peripherals (printers, modems, serial interfaces, clocks, etc)
would be appreciated.

I'm sure there are others who are interested in this breakthrough
in Apple // technology.

Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      god3@sphinx.uchicago
5335 S. Kimbark Ave., Apt. #2  |
Chicago, IL  60615             |      Phone #: 312-288-1816

--
Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      god3@sphinx.uchicago
5335 S. Kimbark Ave., Apt. #2  |
Chicago, IL  60615             |      Phone #: 312-288-1816

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/20/88)

No personal experience yet, although that should start when the PC Transporter
that I have ordered arrives. However, the review by Philip Chien in the
January, 1988 _Computer Shopper_ (PC Transporter, pp. 139, 270-271, 274-276)
states that "Your Apple hard drive will look like both a ProDOS and an IBM hard
drive at the same time . . . " (page 270).

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

god3@SPHINX.UCHICAGO.EDU (Peter Godwin) (01/20/88)

Bruce,

thanx for the reply.  By the way, what peripheral's do you intend
to use with the PC Transporter?  Do you too have a hard drive?  A modem?

Also, where have you ordered your's from?  I saw a price in Incider
from Preffered Computing (I think -- the advertisement with red and
black lettering, they also sell Ramworks, and various other peripherals).
I called and got a quote under 800 dollars for Pc trans w/ 640K, keyboard
and single drive.

Did you order single or dual drives?  640K?

I'm curious what other's are buying.  Also, where did you order yours
from and how much did it run ya?

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/21/88)

I ordered it from Quality Computers (I'm not sure why). It was $599 for the
fully populated (768K) PC Transporter, $254 for single 5.25 inch drive, a
little under $200 for the 8702-2 coprocessor chip, and around $30 for the
][e adapter kit. I plan (hope) to use it with a Citizen 120D printer,
Apple monochrome monitor, Apple mouse, all of which I have. I separately
ordered an Apple 3.5 drive that should work with the PC Transporter.

Sounds like I could have done better with Prefered Computing.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

god3@SPHINX.UCHICAGO.EDU (Peter Godwin) (01/21/88)

Bruce,

The prices as quoted from Preferred Computing:

768K PC Transporter -- $469
Keyboard            -- $109
Single Disk Drive   -- $209

Maybe you could return it?  This is a significantly cheaper system
than the one you quoted.

Pref. Compt.  phone # 1-800-327-7234
              or      1-214-484-5464
Visa, MasterCard, or COD.

Also, is the 8087-2 Math coprocessor a useful item?

In any case, lemme what how things go when you get it all set up.

Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      god3@sphinx.uchicago
5335 S. Kimbark Ave., Apt. #2  |
Chicago, IL  60615             |      Phone #: 312-288-1816

LLi.ESCP8@XEROX.COM (01/23/88)

Why would a person consider buying a kludged PC Transporter when one can get a
PC compatible at about the same price?

Leonard Li.

------------

To: "Bruce P. Halpern" <halp@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
Cc: god3@sphinx.uchicago.EDU, info-apple@BRL.ARPA
Subject: Re: PC Transporter
From: Peter Godwin <god3@sphinx.uchicago.EDU>
Date: 20 Jan 88 17:37:29 CST (Wed)

The prices as quoted from Preferred Computing:

768K PC Transporter -- $469
Keyboard            -- $109
Single Disk Drive   -- $209

Maybe you could return it?  This is a significantly cheaper system
than the one you quoted.

Pref. Compt.  phone # 1-800-327-7234
              or      1-214-484-5464
Visa, MasterCard, or COD.

halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/23/88)

RE: Why buy a PC Transporter when the same $$ will get a free-standing clone?

It all depends on circumstances. In my case:

1. Doesn't take any additional space.

2. Simulataneously adds a 3.5 in controller, 800K of RAM, mouse controller
   to the ][e.

3. Allows same printer, monitor, mouse, 3.5 in drive to be used for Apple
   and IBM.

4. Converts between Apple and IBM files.

Obviously, if one intends to live only in the IBM world, a PC Transporter
would be foolish. It's probably most sensible if one has a hard disk with
relatively large capacity, since the disk can be used for both IBM and
ProDOS (according to the official story, at least). I don't have hard
disks on my Apples (only on IBM ATs) at present, but . . .  I think it
would be equally foolish to buy the PC Transporter if one lives primarily
in the Apple ][ world.  Of course, after it comes, I may conclude it's
foolish under any circumstances.
****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

god3@SPHINX.UCHICAGO.EDU (Peter Godwin) (01/24/88)

A PC Transporter is more attractive than a clone because:

1.  All current peripherals will work with the PC Transporter in IBM mode.
   (No need to buy new modem, hard drive, clock, etc.)

2.  For myself in particular, I move alot (I'm a student) and by
having to move only one machine, instead of two is better.

3.  PC clones are not the most reliable machines in the world.  PC Transporter
is made by a very supportive and reliable company.  A US company so
problems can be resolved much quicker.

      Peter Godwin             |   UUCP   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
  5335 S. Kimbark Ave., #2     | Bitnet   god3@sphinx.uchicago
  Chicago, Illinois  60615     |
  Home Phone: 312-288-1816     | The University of Chicago Computation Center

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Operator) (06/27/88)

The PC Transporter creates a large (up to 16meg) ProDOS file.  When you are
running MS-DOS it is treated as an MS-DOS hard disk.  It does not know
anything about a ProDOS disk anyplace.

While running under ProDOS the above mentioned file is treated as a large
ProDOS file, that is all.

There is however an MS-DOS utility program that is supplied with the PC
Transporter that will transfer a file from ProDOS to MS-DOS and vice-verca.

This program is really only going to be useful for text files or a pretty
straight BASIC program since nothing else will really be cross compatible.

dale

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (09/16/88)

Not sure whether this belongs in the apple list or the IBM list; but
since I don't remember the addresss for the latter, this will have to
do.  (kermit can probably ignore it, but I'm including that for
completeness.)

Got myself a PC transporter because I have some clients who want their
documentation in IBM format.  In general, it is an amazing tour de force
and so far seems to work quite well.  But I have one complaint/question
-- I can't seem to get the communications port to run at 2400 baud --
1200 is the best it will do.  (I'm using kermit on the PC side.)  Any
ideas wheether that is a fundamental problem or is there something that
can be done about it?  (I notice, in fact, that for some reason things
are even slow enough that I can out-type kermit too.)

TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa

rstukey@pro-party.cts.com (Randall Stukey) (02/08/89)

I am strongly considering the purchase of a PC Transporter for my Apple IIe.
I have heard numerous good things about them, but as this would be a sizable
amount of money, I wonder like to hear of any bad experiences anyone has had
with a PC Transporter.

Thanks in advance.

Ken_J_Siegel@cup.portal.com (02/16/89)

I just read last night (I havent picked up a computer mag in a while) an ad
for the PC Transporter.  And it definatly sounded interesting.  I have been
mulling over the idea to buy an IBM compat or Mac in the future, and the PC
Transporter sounded like a good idea.  I too would be very interesed in
peoples comments, good or bad.
                                 Ken J Siegel

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (02/21/89)

I have an Applied Engineering PC Transporter with 768K RAM and a 8087-2
math co-processor in an enhanced Apple //e. An AE 5.25 single drive
IBM Format 360K drive system and a Mac 3.5 drive are connected to the
PCT. The //e has an Epson APL card running a Citizen 120D printer, a
Apple 128K 80 column card, a AE TimeMaster II clock, Apple Super Serial
Card for modem, and an Apple controller running two Apple Disk II 5.25
drives. An Apple monochrome monitor is used.

In IBM mode, the Citizen 120D thinks it's an IBM printer, while the
Apple monitor gives CGA displays. IBM BASIC will not execute, but
GWBASIC and Microsoft QuickBASIC will. I used IBM DOS 3.3. WordPerfect
4.2 and 5.0, SigmaPlot, Microsoft Chart, Systat, all work nicely. The
3.5 drive reads and writes IBM stuff. Software provided with the PCT
converts between IBM text files and Apple // ProDOS text files.

In Apple mode, all peripherals work as Apple // peripherals. The
memory on the PCT prpvides 768K in Apple mode (fully populated
PCT), 640K in IBM mode. I don't know of any way to increase RAM
beyond 640K in IBM mode. A hard disk can apparently be used, but I
don't have one.

For my purposes, this set-up works fine. However, If one has the space
for several systems, or wants a portable system, a Toshiba 1000 would
be about the same total cost as the PCT, 287, and Mac drive (or perhaps
a little less).

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (03/02/89)

Recently someone commented disparagingly about the PC Transporter.
Although I don't use mine for much more than copying Text and
WordPerfect files onto IBM format disks, it seems to work just fine.
(My son brought home an old copy of Pagemaker that we loaded up just for
the fun of it -- except that it was too old to really support my printer
it worked just perfectly, mouse and all.)  (This is on a GS).

I have only run into two problems with it.  (1) -- the New Finder spends
a lot of time polling the PCT's drive; Applied Engineering says that's
Apple's problem.  (2) -- the most recent versions of IBM Kermit
(MS-Kermit, actually) can't handle 2400 baud, even after the recent
fixes in the commo area that AE put out.  The problem appears to be in
the screen emulation, not in the commo side since it DOES transfer files
perfectly (its kind of neat to be able to use 1000 byte packets.)

Anyone from either Apple or Applied engineering able to comment on
either of the problems?

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/04/89)

In article <127500004@tippy> buzz@tippy.uucp writes:

>Does anyone know if AE's planning on upgrading the PC Transporter?
> (i.e., support for at least EGA graphics, faster processor, etc.)

Geez, I hope so. So much IBM software needs EGA, that I hope we get it soon.

Jonah

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/06/89)

>Does anyone know if AE's planning on upgrading the PC Transporter?
> (i.e., support for at least EGA graphics, faster processor, etc.)

I spoke with someone recently over at Applied Engineering.  From what I could
gather, they have just reduced the price of this peripheral to $499; and are
not planning to upgrade it.  As far as upgrading the graphics, I was told
you'd have to buy another monitor, and they figured most people won't buy the
Pc Transporter AND a new monitor (they'll go out and buy a clone instead). So
don't count on anything.

Just remember, you can't turn an Apple completely into a big blue monster -:).

Lynda

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (07/07/89)

Network Comment: to #9492 by pnet01!crash!ee.ecn.purdue.edu!pur-phy!tippy!buzz

No.  I asked AE sometime ago and received replies to the effect that what you
got (with PCT) was what you got and no more.  They were not currently working
on any of my recommendations (EGA, 12Mhz, Joystick port etc etc).  Btw, I
still think that the price for what you get is tremendous.  I use my PCT
probably as much as the apple side.  (sick isn't it!)

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/08/89)

In article <8907061916.AA00308@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!lbotez@nosc.mil writes:
>>Does anyone know if AE's planning on upgrading the PC Transporter?
>> (i.e., support for at least EGA graphics, faster processor, etc.)
>
>not planning to upgrade it.  As far as upgrading the graphics, I was told
>you'd have to buy another monitor, and they figured most people won't buy the
>Pc Transporter AND a new monitor (they'll go out and buy a clone instead). So
>don't count on anything.

Why would you have to buy a new monitor? I thought the GS analog monitor
was one of the best in the business. Do you mean for a IIe, perhaps?

Jonah

lexter@pro-abilink.UUCP (Sam Robertson) (07/11/89)

Network Comment: to #5931 by obsolete!pro-angmar!pro-sol!lbotez

Lets face it without at least EGA and 10 mhz on a 286 AT you are dealing with
limited computer power, might as well stick with old Big Red and do more
without messing with different color monitors!!!!
At work we just got our VGA c. and LaserPrinter (to take the place of the
QuietWriter) and finally I have seen a PC do some awesome graphics.  But, we
still don't have decent sound on them without shelling some major $$$$ for
cards!!!!

Funny thing, our business has 4 PC's and 2 Macs. and guess what gets used the
most (other than what I use)  The Macs (people love them!!!!)  Now I need to
bring my GS up there and wow them all!!!  ha ha

Sam
Applelink:  Lexter               || Sam Robertson   Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
GENIE:      SL.Robertson         || 1357 Santos           Sysop (Saw)
Proline:    Lexter@Pro-Abilink   || Abilene Texas 79605   (915)673-6856
INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com || UUCP: Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter
            ARPA:  Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
        " Tuesday Morning, please go away, I'm tired of you.
           What have I got to lose. "      --   CSN&Y

buzz@tippy.uucp (08/08/89)

Does anyone know if AE's planning on upgrading the PC Transporter?
 (i.e., support for at least EGA graphics, faster processor, etc.)

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (10/06/89)

Will anyone care to share with me their idea of which slot the PCTransporter
works best in?  I have a Sider HD card in slot 7, a GS-RAM card in the memory
slot, and the rest free.  What I'd like to be able to do is access my 5.25"
drives (2), 3.5" drive (Apple brand, not a UniDisk), 2 - 20meg partitions in
slot 7 (Sider HD), PCT RAM disk, Transdrive 360K disk, and a Transdrive
1.44meg disk ALL at the same time (power hungry), from ProDOS or GS/OS 3.0.  I
have the PCT in slot 6 for now, but can't seem to move it anywhere without
losing some kind of functionality from my machine.  Do I need to chock it up
to the cost of using a PCTransporter?
  I know, MS-DOS stinks, but I need it to use the files from work at home.
Any an all suggestions are welcome and appreciated :)

                                        Laer