[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIGS in Sweden.

hb@kuling.UUCP (Henrik B}kman) (10/05/89)

I am own one of about a dozen IIGSs in Sweden. The Apple II is not supported by
Apple Sweden, so we rely on information from abroad. I have just come into
contact with Internet, so forgive me if something is weird.

Can I use FTP to request GS programs through internet? Are Apple documents suchas tech-notes and file type information available in this way? Which sites
carry this information?

I like GSOS, but what really bugs me is that reset reboots the entire computer when using ORCA, as opposed to in Prodos 16 where it only did a 'normal' reset.
Is it possible to fix this by intercepting the reset-vector?

I will be visiting New York city in December, could you recommend dealers where I could get hardware/software (specially programming)/litterature for the IIGS
as cheap as possible?

Could you point out the advantages of being an APDA member? What is the current connection between CALL-APPLE and APDA?

  Thanx. I have forwarded reviews in this conference to the Swedish Apple II
  community, and we are very grateful.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/05/89)

In article <1195@kuling.UUCP> hb@kuling.UUCP (Erland Lewin) writes:
>Can I use FTP to request GS programs through internet?

If you have access to any true Internet site, it should support the DoD
protocol suite, which includes TCP/IP and FTP.  If you only have access
to the true Internet via a mail relay, then you will have to ask a "list
server" (an electronic-mail address that responds to requests to "GET"
files) to retrieve files from its archives.  There is one such mail
server for the Apple II on BITnet, address LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET
which will respond to mail containing the message "INDEX APPLE2-L" by
returning to you a list of available Apple II files.  You can then have
desired files sent to you by sending commands "GET APPLE2-L yy-nnnnn" to
the list server, where "yy-nnnnn" is replaced by the numbers shown in
the file listing.

>Are Apple documents such as tech-notes and file type information available
>in this way? Which sites carry this information?

I don't know how many of the technical notes are archived in the BITnet
file server.  If you have true Internet support, you can use "anonymous
FTP" (FTP connection where you supply "anonymous" as the user name and
"guest", or your own name, as the password) to APPLE.COM.  On APPLE.COM
the "pub/dts" subdirectory contains the files you want.

>Could you point out the advantages of being an APDA member?

It's the only way for most people to obtain drafts of forthcoming Apple
manuals, APW and other software.

>What is the current connection between CALL-APPLE and APDA?

There isn't any.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/06/89)

In article <1195@kuling.UUCP> hb@kuling.UUCP (Erland Lewin) writes:
>[...]
>Can I use FTP to request GS programs through internet? Are Apple documents
>such as tech-notes and file type information available in this way? Which
>sites carry this information?

Yes--you can get technical notes, file type notes, and sample code by
FTP from the same machine I'm on now (apple.com).  I don't remember the
FTP numbers, but yell again if Mark Johnson or someone doesn't post them
shortly.

>I like GSOS, but what really bugs me is that reset reboots the entire
>computer when using ORCA, as opposed to in Prodos 16 where it only did a
>'normal' reset.

This has been discussed a lot in the past.  RESET has never been completely
reliable.  There's no way to insure that some important operation was not
half-way done when you hit RESET.  As the system software becomes more
complex, attempts to recover from a RESET become more and more risky; it
is not supported under GS/OS.

Some people have devised ways around having RESET reboot; I recommend
against them.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.