[comp.sys.apple] GS Ram cards

henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) (10/05/89)

Dave Lyons  or someone else, mentioned that some ram cards don't work with the
ROM 3 machine.  I'm about to purchase a secondhand Apple memory card with 1
meg installed.  I'm wondering if if will work, and if I need modifications to
it to get it to do so.
Thanks in advance.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-europa.cts.com
APPLELINK PE DALAMAR11

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (10/06/89)

Network Comment: to #970 by henrym@pro-europa.cts.com

What you're looking for is a DMA-compatible memory card. I don't know of any
easy way to tell you how to tell if an old card is, other than the fact that
most of the early GS memory cards were NOT. Some sold new today are not.

Joe ... having just borrowed a RAM card, bought chips to go on it, and sent
Applied Engineering $60 to get a non-DMA card updated ...

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/06/89)

In article <8910050732.AA14633@trout.nosc.mil> henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>Dave Lyons  or someone else, mentioned that some ram cards don't work with the
>ROM 3 machine.  I'm about to purchase a secondhand Apple memory card with 1
>meg installed.  I'm wondering if if will work, and if I need modifications
>[...]

The Apple-brand card works fine in either machine.  For 3rd-party cards,
ask the manufacturer about compatibility:  the ones that use the
CROW0 and CROW1 signals on the memory expansion slot work fine.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.