[comp.sys.apple] TML Pascal II answers

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/08/89)

In article <42AF679BB01FE0164A@HMCVAX.BITNET> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>[...]
>TML systems claims that a major bug in thier compiler is caused by some
>errors in TextEdit.  Specifically, they claim that if one cuts or clears more
>than about 4K, bad things will happen.  I can verify that this is so.
>
>Does system 5.0.2 contain any changes over System 5.0 that fix this problem?

Under 5.0, Text Edit hangs if you cut more than about 4K.  Under 5.0.2, it
doesn't hang any more.

Unfortunately, it seems TextEdit on 5.0.2 has a problem,  where the end
of your text can get "scrambled" when you do a large cut.  This is under
investigation.

>[...] Also, in many of my old TML 1.5 applications, I used statements like
>
>  Drawstring( Concat ( Copy (' abcdef',3,2),' are letters.'));

I had a problem like that, too!  The problem is that some of the ToolIntf
files contain -constants- called 'copy' and 'reset'.  I believe 'copy' is
in the Desk unit, and 'reset' is in the Print unit.  The constand definitions
override the Pascal standard-procedure definitions.

Solution:  either don't "Uses" those units, or change the name of the
constant and re-compile the unit (the source code to each unit is provided
on the compiler disk, so this is easy; just make sure the compiled copy
of the unit ends up in the same directory as the rest of you compiled
interface units).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.