[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS Finder pecularity

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (09/30/89)

I cannot figure this one out.  I am only using the System 5.0 disk -
I am NOT mixing earlier disks and 5.0.  About 1 out of every 3-4
times that I launch a program - p8 or gs/os , doesnt matter - I
find that upon returning to the Finder I get the desktop, the menu bar,
the volume icon for my Apple 3.5 disk, but the watch stays on and the
icons for my ram disk and my Apple Unidisk 3.5 does not appear.  I wait
a LONG time - even longer than 5.0 makes me normally wait :-( .
Finally, I hit control reset, the gs/os disk reboots, and things are fine
for a while longer.

Any ideas?

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (10/09/89)

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) writes:

>About 1 out of every 3-4
>times that I launch a program - p8 or gs/os , doesnt matter - I
>find that upon returning to the Finder I get the desktop, the menu bar,
>the volume icon for my Apple 3.5 disk, but the watch stays on and the
>icons for my ram disk and my Apple Unidisk 3.5 does not appear.

This is NOT a unique problem; I had the same thing happen today for the
first time.  (Un)Fortunately, this has not happened again, and I have
not had the opportunity to determine possible causes.  I am also using
System 5.0 (not 5.0.2), with 1 Apple 3.5, 1 UniDisk, and one Apple 5.25.
Perhaps (but hopefully not) the bug will repeat, and we can find out
what causes it.

Scott Blackman
blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu
blackman@pucc (bitnet)