[comp.sys.apple] Was..Re: GS/OS 5.0 Problem;Also a NEW system question

In article <2887@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> ptrepan3@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Pat Trepanier) writes:

>I just got GS/OS 5.0 recently and was trying the new operting software with all
>my old software and when I tried to run Arkanoid when I switched the disk when
>it asked me to the last time it polled my 3.5 and my 5.25 and then came up with
>the message "Some weird interanl error wait a few moments and reboot". I tried
>Arkanoid again with 3.1 and it still worked so it wasn't the game.
>
>I was wondering is this some weird 5.0 error or what is the deal that it won't
>launch Arkanoid from one 3.5 disk?
>
>	Pat
>	ptrepan3@ub.d.umn.edu

	Well this is just Arkanoid [Arkanoid I...II works fine off of one disk]
flaking out in a fairly humorous manner. At least it has a sense of humor when
it crashes...I think the error occurs because either Arkanoid or the system
software doesn't tell you to insert the Arkanoid program disk after tools have
been loaded...So the system spits out an error # to Arkanoid, and Arkanoid
barfs at you.  I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, I'm just not sure
if you understand something. The "..wait a few moments.." is just a joke,
like waiting in reverence (sp?) for something that died...

	Speaking of the system disk, I have a question... Does the system disk
NOT allow you to rename another volume to the boot volume's name (even when the
boot volume is not currently online)?  I know that would be a VERY intelligent
thing to do, but I want to be a lazy bum and rename /RAM5 to /System.Disk and
then put a virtually empty system folder in it (EXCEPT a full tools folder)..
Thus when programs search for tools, it will find "the boot disk" and grab
the tools off of there. It's just my laziness but it would be a neat thing to
be able to do.
--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  (The Unknown User)    or
unknown@darkside.com   Use the former during the school year please.

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (10/10/89)

I've had the same problems with my friends disk, but it only happens
intermittently. I don't believe it can be that the system.disk is not on line
because I have an AE RAMFactor in my GS, so all my system disk is on it. It is
never off line. Oh, and we tried the trick with renaming /ram5 to /system.disk
and it didn't work right. I don't know for sure if we did something wrong or
if it was that it couldn't be done.

PS: How do you get those little excerpts from other articles? I can't find any
way to do it.
                                                   ...Sal
I speak only for myself. Anyone who thinks I speak for them should check again
because I am NOT a ventriloquist.
Besides, wouldn't that make them my dummy?