[comp.sys.apple] blu

steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn) (09/26/89)

Could someone please tell me where to get hold of BLU.  I would prefer an
EXECable version, if possible.
   Thanks,
     Gavin Steyn
steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

dougs@pro-tcc.UUCP (Doug Stevenson) (09/27/89)

Network Comment: to #402 by netnews.upenn.edu!eniac.seas.upenn.edu!steyn@rutgers.edu

You would be better off getting a FREE copy of ShrinkIt which makes BLU
obsolete.  It packs MUCH better that BLU and it will unpack Binary II and
Squeezed files from BLU.  Hope this helps.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (09/29/89)

Network Comment: to #3110 by netnews.upenn.edu!eniac.seas.upenn.edu!steyn@rutgers.edu

I noticed you are located at Rutgers.EDU so I figure you can make a local call
to my system if you want BLU.  I have the latest version as well as the
original BINARY.UP and BINARY.DN programs.  You will need BINARY.DN to unpack
the BLU file I have as it has been bunnied.  Number of my system is
201/469-0049 and other info follows in my signature.

-- Bob

PS:  It's in the Data Library in the Apple // catalog.
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (09/30/89)

Network Comment: to #478 by pnet01!pro-tcc!dougs@crash.cts.com

WARNING!  While ShrinkIt for the II, II+ and IIc/e may be free, apparently
from the rumors that I have hear Andy is discouraged about something and
now is making GS owners buy Shrinkit for the GS - at $40!  I guess it
is time for me to go back to porting zoo with enhancements for resource
files. Sigh.

cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) (10/01/89)

In article <8909300944.AA10524@trout.nosc.mil>, lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP
  (Larry Virden) writes:

>WARNING!  While ShrinkIt for the II, II+ and IIc/e may be free, apparently
>from the rumors that I have hear Andy is discouraged about something and
>now is making GS owners buy Shrinkit for the GS - at $40!  I guess it
>is time for me to go back to porting zoo with enhancements for resource
>files. Sigh.

Wait a minute..  Andy Nicholas can't "make" GS users buy anything..  Even if
he charges for ShrinkIt GS (which he has the right to), everyone can still
use the P8 version, which I think is nicer than any GS/OS version would be,
anyway..  Of course, if he starts writing updates and only making them
available commercially, then there could be problems..
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (10/02/89)

Network Comment: to #638 by asuvax!mcdphx!xroads!cc@handies.ucar.edu

I am sorry - my comments were unclear.  My concern is after quite a few
months convincing folks that a new standard was viable, and that it was
an open standard, and that the software to use the new standard was freely
available, I then have thrown back into my face by various sysops the
question 'If this is such a good deal - why do I have to spend $40 to
archive GS/OS files?'  I believe that it would be best for the Apple community
to search for archiving formats which do not require one to pay money to
archive, and perhaps dearchive if resource files are involved, buying
commercial software.  Then again, perhaps I am wrong - certainly the MS-DOS
world has survived, though the various archive formats certainly had
public domain programs to support them.

And Andy, I didnt mean to cause so much problems - I just felt like
some discussion of the problem was needed.  Who was selling your programs?
You should talk to Don Elton - his COMMERCIAL software was being sold by
folks without his permission!
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
                                CIS:    75046,606

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (10/03/89)

Comment to message from: asuvax!mcdphx!xroads!cc@handies.ucar.edu (Dan McGuirk)

I agree... Andy can't "make" -anyone- buy something.... but neither does he
have to do any programming for FREE! Now that ShrinkIT has been recognized by
certain services as the PRIME packer, etc <and the fact that ShrinkIT is
FASTER and WORKS better than any other> I, for one, certainly can't blame Andy
for wanting to get a few bucks for the bang... He is an EXCELLENT programmer
and he does things right.. people that use his programming should support it
by PAYING for what they use.
It's really funny... in the IBM world, a shareware programmer can make big
bucks on a project (and eventually make bigger bucks by commercializing it --
like ProCOMM)... in the Apple world, it's a JOKE. People are used to ripping
programmers off <both commercial and shareware> that they get upset if they
actually have to pay for something! RED RYDER for the MAC and ProSEL for the
8/16 bit Apple family are the =ONLY= programs I have ever seen where the
authors actually make a buck or two... (I use ProSEL and can tell you it has
been worth 100 times the $40 I paid for it over the past few years)
I say MORE POWER TO THE GREAT PROGRAMMERS.... screw the CHEAP users!

/steve

| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com * My son is a Georgia Tech freshman |
| I work for Xerox Corporation for decent  bucks but dream of Palto Alto RC |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/04/89)

In article <8910020919.AA04570@trout.nosc.mil> lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) writes:
>[...] I believe that it would be best for the Apple community
>to search for archiving formats which do not require one to pay money to
>archive, and perhaps dearchive if resource files are involved, buying
>commercial software.
>
>Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden

The NuFX format *is* free.  Feel free to look it up in one of the $E0 File
Type Notes and write your own public domain utility to deal with it.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (10/07/89)

In article <8909300944.AA10524@trout.nosc.mil> lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) writes:
>Network Comment: to #478 by pnet01!pro-tcc!dougs@crash.cts.com
>
>WARNING!  While ShrinkIt for the II, II+ and IIc/e may be free, apparently
>from the rumors that I have hear Andy is discouraged about something and
>now is making GS owners buy Shrinkit for the GS - at $40!  I guess it
>is time for me to go back to porting zoo with enhancements for resource
>files. Sigh.

Don't worry--Andy won't be able to screw you guys over.

I am the author of the compression algorithm used in ShrinkIt.

But you probably don't know that--Andy is pretty sparse with his
credits.  The fact that ShrinkIt is so fast is due entirely to the great
deal of effort (over a year of intermittent hacking) to create a fast,
and efficient compression method.

Well, I have gotten very tired of Andy's handling of this whole affair,
and so I have created code for Andy McFadden to use in his new C version
of ShrinkIt.  His program is written in portable C, so not only will it
compile on the GS, but also on any larger computers you may have access
to.

So don't buy Andy's GS ShrinkIt--we had a verbal agreement that he would
NEVER charge money or release my source to anyone.  Well, he has now
succeeded in doing both.  Sure, he has added a great deal to the program
other than just my algorithm, but he has been dishonest about it the
whole time.

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (10/08/89)

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (Mike Harrison) (10/09/89)

Does anyone know where I can get (or ftp to) to get a copy of BLU that will
work on an Apple IIgs? All I have now is something called blu6502 which
is really two basic programs which don't recognize file type $BF as Binary
II. $BF is what I get when I download a Binary II file using Kermit on the
Unix end and Proterm with Kermit protocol on my end. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

 Mike
 mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/09/89)

In article <366@orchid.waterloo.edu> mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (Mike Harrison) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get (or ftp to) to get a copy of BLU that will
>work on an Apple IIgs? All I have now is something called blu6502 which
>is really two basic programs which don't recognize file type $BF as Binary
>II. $BF is what I get when I download a Binary II file using Kermit on the
>Unix end and Proterm with Kermit protocol on my end. Is this correct?

Binary II files are generally identified by the data inside at the beginning,
rather than by their file type.  Your BASIC program is probably looking for
files with type $06 (sometimes called "BIN").  $BF is definitely a weird
filetype for them to have; set Kermit to download to TXT or BIN files instead.

If you already have lots of $BF files, either change their types or change
your BASIC program to load them (look for a line like  PRINT CHR$(4);"BLOAD";
A$  and change it to PRINT CHR$(4);"BLOAD";A$;",T$BF").
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   America Online: Dave Lyons                |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (10/10/89)

Comment to message from: phoenix!kadickey@princeton.edu (Kent Andrew Dickey)

So when is McFadden's C version of ShrinkIt going to be available??

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com