[comp.sys.apple] The FST story continues

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (10/04/89)

In article <4454@internal.Apple.COM> you write:
>In article <404@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>>Why has Apple released a CD-ROM FST and an Appleshare FST but has
>>not provided DOS 3.3, or MAC (MAC should be very simple given the
>>back end of the Appleshare FST could be copied)?
>
>	It's not that simple, because the Appleshare FST knows
>	nothing about the HFS disk structure used on Macintosh
>	volumes.
>       [lots more deleted ...]
>
>Cary Farrier

I hate to go on about FSTs - the issue has been flogged to death.
At least these discussions have raised awareness of what can (will?) be
done - and thus will increase user demand and hopefully move some
butts.
Anyway the response: Its true that the Appleshare server need not be a Mac,
but Appleshare was designed with the Mac as a server. Thus all the info
passed to and from the Appleshare server (through the Appleshare commands),
maps directly onto stuff relevent at the low level HFS structure.
Thus the Appleshare FST does much of the high level translations that
are necessary to map onto MFS or HFS.
Sure it knows nothing about how all this stuff is physically arranged on
each block of the disk, or even that a disk has blocks.
An FST must map file names and file info between OS's as well as handling
the low level stuff - so perhaps when I said the "back end" I caused
confusion (maybe "front end" is more appropriate?).
Anyway, even the low level stuff is not very complex as the smartport
interface supports reads and writes of 524 byte blocks for the Mac directly,
so all you need is the directory structure and file manipulation.
I remember putting Mac HFS and MFS reads into The Graphic Exchange in
ONE WEEKEND before Applefest at the end of last year; quite a few bugs were
uncovered later, but it shows that things are not as complex as some
will have us believe.
All I want is some FSTs for the real people.

Always the critic ...
John MacLean.
Action is one sure way to silence the critics.
--
Internet: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au			  Phone: +61 2 427 2999
UUCP:     uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac		  Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/08/89)

In article <502@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>[...] so all you need is the directory structure and file manipulation.
>I remember putting Mac HFS and MFS reads into The Graphic Exchange in
>ONE WEEKEND before Applefest at the end of last year; quite a few bugs were
>uncovered later, but it shows that things are not as complex as some
>will have us believe.

John, I agree with almost everything you said.  I just have to point out
that *writing* to an HFS volume is more complicated than reading it (since
you have to rearrange the B-tree (or is it B*-tree?) directory structure
whenever you add, delete, or rename a file).  Bugs in *reading* a disk
are a nuisance, but any bugs in *writing* could destroy people's volumes.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (10/09/89)

In article <35363@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>In article <502@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>>[...] so all you need is the directory structure and file manipulation.
>>I remember putting Mac HFS and MFS reads into The Graphic Exchange in
>>ONE WEEKEND before Applefest at the end of last year; [...]

>John, I agree with almost everything you said.  I just have to point out
>that *writing* to an HFS volume is more complicated than reading it (since
>you have to rearrange the B-tree (or is it B*-tree?) directory structure
>whenever you add, delete, or rename a file).  Bugs in *reading* a disk
>are a nuisance, but any bugs in *writing* could destroy people's volumes.

	This is true, however don't you think that most people would be
happier if they had a read-only FST as opposed to having nothing at all? It
would seem that they could port the HFS read and the common code that read
uses first, throw that puppy out the door, and then work on putting in writes,
renames, formats, etc. The worst that would happen with a buggy read-only HFS
FST would be that someone would try to copy/import some file, and it would be
trash (well, this is assuming it didn't do a DWrite somewhere...).

	Anyways, for all of Apple's comments about their inability to comment
about Apple products that haven't been released yet, I found the following
"Note" in the new APW tools manual amusing: "DiskCheck will only verify a
ProDos volume. It will not work with an HSF [sic] volume." Now, if this
program were named DiskCheckIIGS (implying that it was a port of some MPW
tool, like some of the other stuff on the disks), then it would seem to be a
bit less indicative of something interesting going on.

	Why doesn't Apple just have someone who officially "leaks" stuff - that
way, Apple would have deniability if something got killed, and it would almost
certainly make the rumors more accurate, even considering the "telephone"
effect (where things change as they move from mouth to ear...). Of course, they
wouldn't be able to leak everything, or else things would return to the way
they are today, but people would be complaining about things not existing
before the current round of stuff got released. I also seriously doubt that
for something like the HFS FST, it would damage any potential edge that Apple
would have...

> --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

            "What's up pruneface?" - Bugs Bunny in the year 2000

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (10/10/89)

Network Comment: to #11440 by dlyons@apple.com

-> John, I agree with almost everything you said.  I just have to point ou
-> that *writing* to an HFS volume is more complicated than reading it (si
-> you have to rearrange the B-tree (or is it B*-tree?) directory structur
-> whenever you add, delete, or rename a file).  Bugs in *reading* a disk
-> are a nuisance, but any bugs in *writing* could destroy people's volume

 Wait a sec.. you make it sound like you're GUESSING at how the Macintosh
writes its stuff to disk. Last I heard, APPLE had MAC SOURCE on how to read
and write to the disk..  Now the way I see it, it would take a very short time
for someone to convert the MAC SOURCE CODE into 65816-based code.

That's not to say you won't have bugs, but chances are Apple (if they didn't
try to do it from scratch) could put out a fairly reliable HFS FST pretty
quick like.

--Mark Munz

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (10/11/89)

At AppleFest recently an Apple Employee let it slip that Apple was working
on an HFS FST.  We had asked about FST's for the new SuperDrive and he
said 'Gee we haven't even shipped the HFS FST for the 800K drives yet and
you already want them for the SuperDrive'.  We said 'Ah-Haaa so you are
working on an HFS FST' and the guy said 'Oops I guess I shouldn't have said
that (wink, wink)'.  He really spilled his guts then and said that they had
been using the HFS FST all over Apple internally for quite a while but it took
Apple forever to release stuff like that because they tested it for a long time
then documented the final source code, wrote tech notes, modified manuals, etc.
etc.  All of which takes time.  The impression we got was that it was very near
to release.

I hope Apple doesn't wait for the next major upgrade to GS/OS to ship it.
Just include it in new copies of System 5.02, and distribute it through
APDA or the online services.  We desparately need it.  I hope you Apple
folks on line will pass this on to the powers that be.

Rick