[comp.sys.apple] TML Pascal resource editor

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris: 223-8753, TECHNOLOGY OFFICE, MLO1-4/T35) (10/12/89)

>From: tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby)
>
>I used TML's Skeleton.r file as an example, taking out as many unneeded
>resources as possible. (There doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of
>unwanted windows.) My program (Skeleton.p with the window manipulation
>code removed) works when I use the modified Skeleton.r, but goes bonkers
>when I use a similar resource file that I created from scratch. The program
>starts up and puts the blue background, wristwatch cursor, and empty white
>menu line on the screen but then seems to be stuck (the cursor moves with
>the mouse, but nothing else happens). I stuck some WRITELNs into the program,

I tried what Dave described and got the same results.  Has anyone figured
out what was wrong or what caused this.

I must say the documentation that TML sent out is quite bad on the new
stuff.  It really would have been helpful to walk you through an example.

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV (Doug Ashbrook) (10/12/89)

> >From: tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby)
> >
> >I used TML's Skeleton.r file as an example, taking out as many unneeded
> >resources as possible. (There doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of
> >unwanted windows.) My program (Skeleton.p with the window manipulation
> >code removed) works when I use the modified Skeleton.r, but goes bonkers
> >when I use a similar resource file that I created from scratch. The program
> >starts up and puts the blue background, wristwatch cursor, and empty white
> >menu line on the screen but then seems to be stuck (the cursor moves with
> >the mouse, but nothing else happens). I stuck some WRITELNs into the program,
>
> I tried what Dave described and got the same results.  Has anyone figured
> out what was wrong or what caused this.
>
> I must say the documentation that TML sent out is quite bad on the new
> stuff.  It really would have been helpful to walk you through an example.
>
> |        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |

I have also been unable to successfully use a resource file that I
have created from scratch.  However, I did discover that I could
remove unwanted resources (such as the windows) by selecting the
resource and then clicking on CLEAR in the EDIT menu.  I agree that
the documentation leaves a *LOT* to be desired.  TML sure did not
spend the 3 months between July 1 (when the product was suppose to
ship) and it's actual release working on the manual :-(

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!