[comp.sys.apple] Big problemo

markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) (09/30/89)

Network Comment: to #5644 by SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Well, today I was working on a program of mine, and well, I experienced an
EXREMELY frustrating error.  It was an error 16 on a line that was like this:

260 PRINT D$;"OPEN DATE"

And, yes, d$ was defined in line 10:

10 D$=CHR$(4)

Well, the file DATE exsists, the directory is proper etc, I have no idea why
there is an error with line 260!  Please, write back with an answer as soon as
possible (E-mail preffered).  BTW, could it be memory conflict?  Or what!
Thanks in advance, please write back soon.

  ==========::Mark::Leumanne::============  ======::Toronto::Ontario::=====
 =                                        ==                               =
 = UUCP: crash!pro-generic!markl          ==       "Apple ][ forever."     =
 = ARPA: crash!pro-generic!markl@nosc.mil ==       "Beatles forever."      =
 = INET: markl@pro-generic.cts.com        ==       "Networking forever."   =
 =                                        ==                               =
  ========================================  ===============================
 = CD 61 72 6B : CC 65 75 6D 61 6E 6E 65 : CC 6F 76 65 73 : C1 D0 D0 CC C5 =

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Chumley The Troll ) (10/01/89)

markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) writes:
>Network Comment: to #5644 by SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

>Well, today I was working on a program of mine, and well, I experienced an
>EXREMELY frustrating error.  It was an error 16 on a line that was like this:

>260 PRINT D$;"OPEN DATE"

>And, yes, d$ was defined in line 10:

>10 D$=CHR$(4)

>Well, the file DATE exsists, the directory is proper etc, I have no idea why
>there is an error with line 260!  Please, write back with an answer as soon as
>possible (E-mail preffered).  BTW, could it be memory conflict?  Or what!
>Thanks in advance, please write back soon.

Error 16 is a Syntax Error (either Applesoft or ProDOS).  It is most likely
a control character, either in the filename or somewhere in the D$;.

>  ==========::Mark::Leumanne::============  ======::Toronto::Ontario::=====
> =                                        ==                               =
> = UUCP: crash!pro-generic!markl          ==       "Apple ][ forever."     =
> = ARPA: crash!pro-generic!markl@nosc.mil ==       "Beatles forever."      =
> = INET: markl@pro-generic.cts.com        ==       "Networking forever."   =
> =                                        ==                               =
>  ========================================  ===============================
> = CD 61 72 6B : CC 65 75 6D 61 6E 6E 65 : CC 6F 76 65 73 : C1 D0 D0 CC C5 =
>  =========================================================================

Hope this helps,

- John
      Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           |
-aka- EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | If two wrongs don't make a right,
-aka- jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        | try three...

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (10/02/89)

Network Comment: to #11685 by markl@pro-generic.cts.com

Could it be that D$ and d$ are treated as two different variables?

paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) (10/03/89)

Network Comment: to #5736 by tomk@pro-sol.cts.com

No, the casing is irrelivant, I have tried both, also, I have re-written the
line, incase there are hidden control characters...TO NO AVAIL!!

                                        :: Paul Johnson ::
   UUCP: crash!pro-generic!paulj                Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
   ARPA: crash!pro-generic!paulj@nosc.mil   A
   INET: paulj@pro-generic.cts.co

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (10/06/89)

In article <8910060518.AA14838@trout.nosc.mil> paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) writes:
>Network Comment: to #5736 by tomk@pro-sol.cts.com
>
>No, the casing is irrelivant, I have tried both, also, I have re-written the
>line, incase there are hidden control characters...TO NO AVAIL!!

You don't say whether you're under 3.3 or ProDOS, but if it's the former,
defining d$ as chr$(13)+chr$(4) might work better.  This uses a <cr> to
force the ctrl-d on column 0, where 3.3 looks for it.

>                                        :: Paul Johnson ::
>   UUCP: crash!pro-generic!paulj                Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
>   ARPA: crash!pro-generic!paulj@nosc.mil   A
>   INET: paulj@pro-generic.cts.co

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) (10/09/89)

Network Comment: to #5933 by jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU!throoph@cs.orst.edu

        I am using ProDOS v1.8, I suspect it's memory conflict.
Unfortunately, I can not cut down on my DIM statements, Instead, I would want
to INCREASE them.  I will try the CHR$(13)+CHR$(4) thing.  Thanks.

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/10/89)

             ^---------------- Notice multi-line seperator.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/12/89)

In article <909@friar-taac.UUCP> matthew@friar-taac.UUCP (Matthew Stier - Sun Visualization Products) writes:
>In article <8909301118.AA12083@trout.nosc.mil> markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) writes:
>|Network Comment: to #5644 by SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>|
>|Well, today I was working on a program of mine, and well, I experienced an
>|EXREMELY frustrating error.  It was an error 16 on a line that was like this:
>|
>|260 PRINT D$;"OPEN DATE"
>             ^---------------- Notice multi-line seperator.

Leaving out the semicolon won't cause an error--having it there just makes it
look nicer.

What *will* get you an error 16 (syntax error, either from Applesoft or
BASIC.SYSTEM), is having D$ defined as something Weird.  If the original
poster will send me a copy of the program (was it you, Murph?), I'll take
a look.

--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

On Wed, 11 Oct 89 19:22:55 GMT you said:
>>|260 PRINT D$;"OPEN DATE"
>>             ^---------------- Notice multi-line seperator.
>
>What *will* get you an error 16 (syntax error, either from Applesoft or
>BASIC.SYSTEM), is having D$ defined as something Weird.  If the original
>poster will send me a copy of the program (was it you, Murph?), I'll take
>a look.

WEIRD!  I can't imagine what I did to get my name attached to that thread
(it's been years since I wrote anything in Applesoft).  I have messages
back to the beginning of the month, but I haven't found the origin of that
bit of Applesoft.  I don't recall commenting on the original program; there
might have been something else along with it that I responded to, but
ordinarily, I'd edit out other stuff (such as BAS program lines).

Ain't newsgroups a hoot?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (10/13/89)

In article <909@friar-taac.UUCP> matthew@friar-taac.UUCP (Matthew Stier - Sun Visualization Products) writes:
>In article <8909301118.AA12083@trout.nosc.mil> markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) writes:
>|Network Comment: to #5644 by SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>|
>|Well, today I was working on a program of mine, and well, I experienced an
>|EXREMELY frustrating error.  It was an error 16 on a line that was like this:
>|
>|260 PRINT D$;"OPEN DATE"
>             ^---------------- Notice multi-line seperator.

              ^------Notice the TEXT-STRING CONCATENATION

The semi-colon is used in Applesoft PRINT statements to show that no spacing
is printed between strings.  For example,

     10 PRINT "Hello";"World"

Will print

     HelloWorld

The semi-colon is optional and, unless there's some really obscure bug that
I'm unaware of in Applesoft, makes no difference one way or the other if it's
included or omitted in a PRINT statement.

Applesoft uses the regular colon as a multi-line separator, not the semi-colon.
You've been using Unix too long, Matthew!  :-)

| If there's a byte of data in the computer but  | Steve King  (312) 991-8056 |
| no pointer is pointing to it, then it isn't    |   ...uunet!motcid!king     |
| really there.                                  |   ...ddsw1!palnet!stevek   |