[comp.sys.apple] How to fix Eyes

c162-dx@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (William Wong) (10/13/89)

In article <8910120158.aa26021@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) writes:
>I just DL'd EYE NDA from Comp.Binaries.Apple2, and it don't go!  I unBinSCII'd
>it, unShrinked it, and put it the */System/Desc.Accs subdir, and it showed up
>in my NDA menu, but when I selected it, it went BING...cleared the screen, and
>gave me a bunch of inverse D's.  I'm using a ROM 01 IIgs w/1.5Mbyte AE GS-Ram,
>and System Disk 5.0.  So what am I doing wrong?
>
>Osiris

Well, after couple tests, I was able to duplicate the error you mention.
Ok, here is the story...

Somehow, when unshrinking ALL the files in the shrinked file, the nda file
Eyes is corrupted.  (A possible rare buy in ShrinkIt?)

I had repeated the process of shrinking and unshrinking files for several
times with the original working files, the nda, the source, and the doc.
The problem persists.  When unshrinking only one file, it works
fine, but when unshrinking all of the files, the nda file got corrupted.

Ok, here is the rememdy:

Either

1.  Extract the nda Eyes first, copy it to the /../SYSTEM/DESK.ACCS/.
    Then extract the rest of the text files.

or

2.  If you have the Orca/C compiler, recompile the source code as follow:

	asml eyes.cc
	filetype eyes nda	(change file type to nda)

    Then copy Eyes (nda) to */SYSTEM/DESK.ACCS/.

When I get hold of a copy of BLU, I'll use it to pack the files and send
them again.

Sorry about the trouble.

Thanks Osiris, for pointing out the problem.

-William Wong