[comp.sys.apple] Reset in GS/OS

hb@kuling.UUCP (Henrik B}kman) (10/10/89)

 I'm still wondering if it's possible to avoid making RESET reboot the ORCA
shell under GSOS.
 Any Ideas? One of the things I like best about Apple IIs is being able to
press reset when things go wacko, and being able to jump into the monitor and
check what happened.

 /Erl

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/14/89)

In article <1200@kuling.UUCP> hb@kuling.UUCP (Erland Lewin) writes:
>I'm still wondering if it's possible to avoid making RESET reboot the ORCA
>shell under GSOS.
>Any Ideas? One of the things I like best about Apple IIs is being able to
>press reset when things go wacko, and being able to jump into the monitor and
>check what happened.

You'd have to patch GS/OS to avoid having Reset reboot.  I don't recommend it,
since there are better ways to get control of your machine and see what killed
it.

Install the Visit Monitor CDA (type "#" in the Monitor); then when your machine
hangs you can hit Apple-Ctrl-Esc and choose Visit Monitor (or Memory Peeker,
for that matter--or whatever other CDAs you have installed).  The cases where
the machine is locked up so badly you can get into the CDA menu or into
something like GSBug are rare in my experience.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.