[comp.sys.apple] Softswitch

Some of you may already know about this product.  However, I think it
deserves a plug, so here goes:

I was getting really frustrated playing Return of Werdna, because of
extremely unfavorable rolls of the dice at critical times forcing me
to keep starting over.  So, recalling something about SoftSwitch from
Roger Wagner Publishing, I bought a copy, and guess what -- now I can
instantly snapshot the state of the game at a couple of key positions
and instantly switch back to one of the snapshotted states when things
go badly in the game.  In fact, it is so convenient that it is worth
while to keep rolling dice from the same saved state until getting a
favorable outcome, then replace the saved state with the new one, etc.
Ths is the only way I know of to map every corner of the minefield on
level 8 with a level-3 Werdna, for example (forcing +8 HP per DIOS
potion).

Here's what SoftSwitch does, in essence:
It works only on a IIGS and is installed as a Classic Desk Accessory.
At any point in an 8-bit application (other than while a disk is being
accessed), press open-apple/ctrl/esc to get to the console/CDA menu,
and invoke SoftSwitch.  It shows mini-screens of the interrupted
application and up to three snapshotted states.  By a couple of
keystrokes, one can clear a snapshot, copy the interrupted state into
a snapshot, or copy a snapshot into the interrupted state (this is
the "switch").  Upon leaving SoftSwitch, then leaving the console/CDA
menu, one is back at the interrupted application, which MAY BE A COPY
OF A PREVIOUSLY SAVED STATE.  The snapshots are saved in allocated
memory (at least 512KB expansion recommended), and there is a utility
called "KeepSake" that can be run to save snapshots in disk files or
load snapshots from disk files.  (Great for games without a convenient
"save game" feature!)

The main reason this technique can work is that there is really no
disk write caching in DOS 3.3 or PRODOS-8, so there is no need to flush
internal buffers to the disk before switching to another task.

SoftSwitch works best if one of the snapshots is of the DeskTop (NOT
the Finder, which works in 16-bit mode; the DeskTop runs in 8-bit mode).
The DeskTop is supplied with SoftSwitch, in case you don't have it (i.e.
you have only the latest IIGS System Disk).  This makes it possible to
at any point in an 8-bit application quickly switch to the DeskTop to
create directories (oops, "folders"), format disks, etc. then switch
back to the application right where you left it.  It should be obvious
how handy this can be..

The main limitation is that 16-bit applications cannot be switched,
for a variety of techincal and practical reasons.  Also, some 8-bit
applications may disable interrupts so that you can't get to the
control panel (console/CDA menu) to invoke SoftSwitch.  But when it
does work, it is great!  It seems very well designed, too; it beeps
and asks for confirmation if you attempt to do something that would
irretrievably lose the interrupted state, but it just goes ahead and
does what you request (typically using a single obvious keystroke)
in all other cases.

I admit to being somewhat dubious when I read about this product in
Open-Apple, but now that I've used it I can attest that it really
works as advertised.  It's useful for a lot of applications, but
I especially think no IIGS Wizardry player should be without it!

shack@bucsb.UUCP (Randy Shackelford) (06/10/88)

>Well, the GS is semi-multitaksing. There's someting from W. RODGERS
>PUBLISHING that
>'s called the "SWITCHER" It allowes 4 simultasking programs to be run.
>Although not at the same time, you can just flip back and forth from
>Appleworks and then to Dazel Draw. (When the boss turns his head.)

Get it right, bud. First of all, the program is called Softswitch and it is
published by Roger Wagner Publishing. It can switch between three different
ProDOS 8 programs, after ProDOS 16 is booted.

>I think it only works for ProDos, (Ok, another limitation.), but then
>again, I don't own the thing.

So you feel limited by ProDOS. So what is your OS of choice? DOS 3.3? CP/M?
I kinda like ProDOS myself.

>+-++Jeremy+-++
>!Spies!fatcat!Jeremy

Haven't thought of a trick .sig yet so this will have to do.

>So you feel limited by ProDOS. So what is your OS of choice? DOS 3.3? CP/M?
>I kinda like ProDOS myself.

Now that the quit code has been humanized by Glen Bredon, Don Elton,
Dave Lyons, and others (who've I left out?), I think ProDOS is OK.
However, as a user, I see little advantage other than the hierarchical
file structure makes it MUCH easier to keep things organized on large
(over 256K) storage devices.

The problem IS so much worthwhile software isn't upward compatible
(ProDOS doesn't have a "DOS box" the way OS/2 will in the IBM world).
I have quite a bit of software that still does what I bought it to do
quite nicely AND I'm used to it (no reason to change) BUT it's NEVER
going to be ported to ProDOS (in many cases the original publisher has
gone bankrupt or merged into another firm that's abandoned it, in a few
cases it's just been abandoned - example: Apple made Quick File <for all
intents and purposes> part of AppleWorks and doesn't sell a <cheap>
free standing version for ProDOS).

I don't have a Z80 in my //e, but I know quite a few folks that do.
dBase II retains all the power it ever had.  Is there REALLY enough extra
advantage to ProDOS (ProDOS 16 may be another matter, but the software
library at the moment looks more like "gee whiz" stuff than something with
REAL advantages over in-place systems) to merit starting over from scratch?

dBase II is "expertware," and I'd hardly recommend anyone starting up
invest in it, but once even complex software is learned and often used,
then new stuff which is prettier (color, icons, etc.) and easier to learn
may not offer much real advantage.  In fact, for many tasks of modest size
dBase II in the hands of an experienced user runs circles around most of
the newer stuff (CP/M coprocessors have run 3MHz and faster for years and
dBase doesn't generate the overhead that ease of use often requires).

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

>Well, the GS is semi-multitaksing. There's someting from W. RODGERS
>PUBLISHING that's called the "SWITCHER" It allowes 4 simultasking
>programs to be run. Although not at the same time, you can just flip
>back and forth from Appleworks and then to Dazzle Draw. (When the boss
>turns his head.)

>I think it only works for ProDOS, (Ok, another limitation.), but then
>again, I don't own the thing.

If you're talking about the product I think you're talking about, it
is called SoftSwitch, and it's from Roger Wagner Publishing (the
people who brought you Merlin and MouseWrite, etc).  They can be
reached at 1050 Pioneer Way, Suite "P"; El Cajon, CA 92020.  (619)
442-0522.

The actual limitation is that SoftSwitch will not switch ProDOS 16
programs in or out.  It works fine with ProDOS 8, DOS 3.3, and any
other environment that does NOT turn off interrupts but can be
preserved with a snapshot of the first 128K of RAM (and, optionally,
requests additional RAM from the GS memory manager, like AppleWorks
does).  I haven't tried it with Apple Pascal, but I suspect it
would work fine.

The reason interrupts must be left enabled is that you can't get
into the CDA menu to get to SoftSwtich and switch to another
program if interrupts are off!

Disclaimer:  I know & like Roger Wagner, but he's not paying me to
             say any of this.

>+-++Jeremy+-++
>!Spies!fatcat!Jeremy

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (04/04/89)

I am experimenting with a copy of SoftSwitch that came with my computer,

Apparently, any program that tries to capture all the available memory kills
Softswitch.

This includes Appleworks 2.0 and Proterm. Could someone recommend a terminal
program that works like Proterm that doesn't try to use all available memory for
its capture buffer?

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (10/11/89)

Under GS/OS software 3.0, Softswitch insists that all my applications,
even P8 ones, are GS/OS applications.  Has anyone else had this problem?
If so, is there an update to Softswitch?

BTW:  Does anyone know how to contact R.Wagner on the network or what
his email address on, say, compuserve is?

Thanks.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (10/13/89)

Network Comment: to #12076 by SASQUATCH%ALBION.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu

>Under GS/OS software 3.0, Softswitch insists that all my applications,
>even P8 ones, are GS/OS applications.  Has anyone else had this problem?
>If so, is there an update to Softswitch?

It's a problem with SoftSwitch that I've called Roger Wagner Publishing
several times about.  I keep getting a nice receptionist to tell me that Roger
is working on the problem and someone from the tech-support will get back to
me with an explaination about when I "might" expect an update.  Guess what!
I've never been called back!  I really miss that program, but I hope the
update supports GS/OS based applications.  I can't understand why it never
has (even under ProDOS16), like programs have been running on IBMs and Macs
for years now.  Certainly a similar system can be made for the GS.

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/14/89)

In article <8910111253.aa14997@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517) writes:
>Under GS/OS software 3.0, Softswitch insists that all my applications,
>even P8 ones, are GS/OS applications.  Has anyone else had this problem?
>If so, is there an update to Softswitch?

Yes, I believe there's an update.  The problem was Softswitch and GS/OS
not interpreting a certain flag byte in the same way (additional bits
are now used, but Softswitch was checking for the byte to be zero or
nonzero).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.