[comp.sys.apple] Error with system 5.0

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (10/13/89)

I recently ran across a strange problem with an Appleworks data disk I was
using.  When I inserted the disk, GS/OS told me that it could not recognize
the disk in the 3.5" drive.  When I looked at it from any other program (ie.
AppleWorks or Copy II+) the disk was fine.  I tried disk copy on C2Plus and
it copied fine, but GS/OS won't recognize the original OR the copy.  Any ideas?

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (10/13/89)

I am not a gs user, but it seems to me that the System 5.0 and/or ROM 03 are no
t worth the silicon and magnetic media they are made of.... Why doesn't apple q
uickly refund/replace these items with ones that WORK!? I think Apple is really
 not keeping up with the interests of the consumer...

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (10/14/89)

In article <8910131159.aa09414@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) writes:
>I am not a gs user, but it seems to me that the System 5.0 and/or ROM 03 are no
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WHOA!!  If you have no experience with a GS,  I think that's a pretty
sweeping, misinformed generalization.  I can't speak for ROM 03 machines,
but I have a ROM 01 GS (version 2) running System Software 5.0 and I love
it.  System 5.0 is a vast improvement over 4.0 and lightyears past ProDOS 16.

I'm having some compatibility problems, just like those discussed on the net,
but for the most part everything runs just fine.  If anything,  software
vendors need to update their wares to ensure compatibility to the dynamic
and exciting computing experience the IIgs offers.  The traffic you see on the
net represents a small part of all the software being used, SUCCESSFULLY,
on IIgs's.

Stepping down from soapbox.

David
dhom@cosmos.acd.calpoly.edu (SLO Kid)

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (10/14/89)

On Fri, 13 Oct 89 14:11:24 GMT you said:
>I recently ran across a strange problem with an Appleworks data disk I was
>using.  When I inserted the disk, GS/OS told me that it could not recognize
>the disk in the 3.5" drive.  When I looked at it from any other program (ie.
>AppleWorks or Copy II+) the disk was fine.  I tried disk copy on C2Plus and
>it copied fine, but GS/OS won't recognize the original OR the copy.  Any ideas?
  You probably neglected to install the driver for 5 1/4" drives when you
installed GS/OS.  (Or, it may be installed but disabled.)  The other
applications recognize the drive because they don't go through GS/OS
and hence don't need that driver.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (10/14/89)

Evan <ST802148%BROWNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU> wrote:
>I am not a gs user, but it seems to me that the System 5.0 and/or ROM 03 are
>not worth the silicon and magnetic media they are made of.... Why doesn't
>apple quickly refund/replace these items with ones that WORK!? I think Apple
>is really not keeping up with the interests of the consumer...

Hmmm,  I really like system 5.0.  ROM 03 was badly needed,(mainly the 1meg
ram), and I would like to point out that system 5.0 made me decide to devote
some time to the IIGS instead of full time mac programming.  I like it!  It
really does not take much more that a week to transfer from the Mac, and
do something reasonable(of course years of II+/IIe help).  Of course the
full tech books help also make the transfer possible.

scott hutinger   mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/14/89)

In article <8910131159.aa09414@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) writes:
>I am not a gs user, but it seems to me that the System 5.0 and/or ROM 03
>are not worth the silicon and magnetic media they are made of....

You're obviously not a GS user, or you'd know better!

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (10/14/89)

No, I clearly stated (at least I think so) that I was using the 3.5" drive.
The 5.25" controller should have nothing to do with it. I don't even have one
of those expensive paper weights hooked up!
Anyways, the problem is still there, and GS/OS still refuses to recognize the d
isk.  Any more ideas?