[comp.sys.apple] Scroll bars in NDA

c162-dx@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (William Wong) (10/11/89)

In writing a NDA for the GS, I ran into a problem with the scroll bars
in a standard window.

The NDA opens a window with horizontal and vertical scroll bars.  Everything
works fine.  The window can be moved, resized, zoomed.  The content is
displayed correctly.  The only thing wrong is that the content can't be
scrolled.

I uses FindControl() to try to retrieve the control handle for the scoll bars,
but so far without any luck.

FindControl() returns 0 as part code and nil in the control handle pointer.

Help!

To: Andy McFadden

Hey, I've thought of some names.  How about NuPack, NuPacker (new packer),
CPack, PackIt, Compact, NuCompact, CompactIt, NuC (sounds like News),
Reducer, Compresser, NuCruncher, NuStuff (new stuff)...

William Wong

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/14/89)

In article <18229@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c162-dx@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (William Wong) writes:
>In writing a NDA for the GS, I ran into a problem with the scroll bars
>in a standard window.
>
>The NDA opens a window with horizontal and vertical scroll bars.  Everything
>works fine.  The window can be moved, resized, zoomed.  The content is
>displayed correctly.  The only thing wrong is that the content can't be
>scrolled.
>
>I uses FindControl() to try to retrieve the control handle for the scoll bars,
>but so far without any luck.
>
>FindControl() returns 0 as part code and nil in the control handle pointer.
>
>William Wong

Under System Software 5.0, you can pass the DAEvents you receive to
TaskMasterDA, after copying the event record into an extended task
record.  This way the system will handle the scrolling for you.

Before 5.0, the only way to get an NDA window to have usable scroll bars was
to create a window *without* scroll bars, and then use NewControl to create
them yourself, in the *content* area of the window.  That's a pain because
not only do you have to find/track them yourself, but you also have to avoid
overwriting the scroll bars when you draw your window's content (the clip
region is very handy here).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.