[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS rejects disk?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/14/89)

In article <89286.101124SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET> SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I recently ran across a strange problem with an Appleworks data disk I was
>using.  When I inserted the disk, GS/OS told me that it could not recognize
>the disk in the 3.5" drive.  When I looked at it from any other program (ie.
>AppleWorks or Copy II+) the disk was fine.  I tried disk copy on C2Plus and
>it copied fine, but GS/OS won't recognize the original OR the copy.  Any ideas?

Please post the exact message you received.  Was it something a lot like
"GS/OS does not recognize the file system on this disk.  Do you want to
initialize it?" with Continue and Cancel buttons?

If it really was a ProDOS disk and ProDOS 8 programs had no trouble, then
probably one of the bytes at the beginning of the directory was messed
up--there is at least one byte there that is *supposed* to be 0, but
ProDOS 8 and P8 applications don't bother checking it.  The ProDOS FST
does.

The simplest solution is to copy the files onto a freshly formatted 3.5"
disk & see if the problem goes away.  (Don't just do a Disk Copy--you'd
copy the problem right along with the files.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.