[comp.sys.apple] II+ 16k Card?

mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.UUCP (Mark Lensenmayer) (10/12/89)

An Apple user in our district is trying to add a language card to an Apple
II+.  He found a card at a computer store in a bargain box labeled "ANDROMEDA
16K EXPANSION BOARD".  It looks to be for a II+.

Does anyone know if this is a II+ card, and how to connect the jumper wire
that appears to plug into a socket.

Unfortunately, no documentation came with the card, and the store owner didn't
even remember buying it!

Thanks!
Mark Lensenmayer          Pro-Line:  mlensenmayer@pro-tcc
Columbus Public Schools   Internet:  mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.cts.com
52 Starling Street        UUCP:  crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!mlensenmayer@pro-tcc
Columbus, OH  43215       (614)365-5101
---------------------  Yikes, and away!!!!  ------------------------------

cs225202@umbc5.umbc.edu (Sang J. Moon) (10/13/89)

In article <8910120219.AA11230@trout.nosc.mil> mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.UUCP (Mark Lensenmayer) writes:
>Does anyone know if this is a II+ card, and how to connect the jumper wire
>that appears to plug into a socket.

You have to plug it in slot zero, and you remove the RAM chip nearest to the
RAM card and plug the jumper wire there.  The RAM chip to be removed is the
left-rearmost chip in the RAM chip grid.  Be careful about the orientation of
the jumper plug; I believe the wires sticking out of it should be pointing to
the rear.  Also, get a chip-removing tool, or be very careful when you pull the
chip.  If you want more specifics on what to do or how to use the softswitchs
to use the extra 16k for your own programs, reply back.
Sang J. Moon                                   "Bwahahahahaha" -JLI

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (10/14/89)

Network Comment: to #5218 by pnet01!pro-tcc!mlensenmayer@crash.cts.com

I can only tell you how a usual 16K Card plugs into a ][+.
The card should plug in slot 0 with the 16 pin ribbon cable going from the
lowermost and frontmost IC socket to the socket on the motherboard at location
E3 (the top, left RAM socket when sitting in front of computer).
If you need any more help send me E-Mail
tomk@pro-grouch

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/15/89)

In article <8910120219.AA11230@trout.nosc.mil> mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.UUCP (Mark Lensenmayer) writes:
|An Apple user in our district is trying to add a language card to an Apple
|II+.  He found a card at a computer store in a bargain box labeled "ANDROMEDA
|16K EXPANSION BOARD".  It looks to be for a II+.
|
|Does anyone know if this is a II+ card, and how to connect the jumper wire
|that appears to plug into a socket.

Yes, it is, and yes I do.

Installing your Apple ][+ 16k card is simple.

First locate the ram chip in the upper left corner of the memory block of the
motherboard (the ram chip closest to slot 0).  Pull it out (using a chip puller
or small flat tip screwdriver).  If there is an open socket on the 16k card
install the extracted ram chip there.

Next take the ribbon cable ("jumper wire that appears to plug into a socket")
and plug it into the socket you just pulled the ram chip out of. (Take care to
ensure the cable gets orientated the correct way.)

Last, Install the 16k card in slot 0. Thats all there is to it.

|Thanks!
|Mark Lensenmayer          Pro-Line:  mlensenmayer@pro-tcc

Your welcome,
--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"