[comp.sys.apple] AppleWorks 3.0 5.25" disk question

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (10/09/89)

I just got AppleWorks 3.0 on Friday, and I had it sent on a 3.5" disk
because I wanted the large dictionary.  Since one of my main //e has
a 3.5" drive, this is all well and fine.

My other //e, however, has no 3.5" drive, and I want to be able to use
AW 3.0 on that.  Page B-10 ("Creating a Specialty AppleWorks Disk")
pretty much tells what files are on which 5.25" disks (but it doesn't say
where SEG.PR should go).

I have a 5.25" copy working right now, but when it preloads (I have a meg
in my second //e), it asks for the disks in something like this order:  WP,
startup, DB startup, SS, startup.  It seems that this is more disk swapping
than is necessary.

I have my disks configured as follows:
Startup disk:  ProDOS, aplworks.system, seg.aw, seg.el, seg.er, seg.pr, seg.xm
WP/DB disk:    seg.db, seg.wp
SS disk:       seg.ss

(I have an Apple-compatible RAMcard, so I use seg.xm.)

So the question is:  Does AW 3.0 really need all this disk swapping, or
should some file(s) go on different disks?

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) (10/10/89)

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) said...
|I just got AppleWorks 3.0 on Friday, and I had it sent on a 3.5" disk
|because I wanted the large dictionary.  Since one of my main //e has
|a 3.5" drive, this is all well and fine.

	Meanwhile, 5.25"-only users are screwed because Claris
	didn't want to bother with splitting the dictionary
	over two disks.  2:-(

|My other //e, however, has no 3.5" drive, and I want to be able to use
|AW 3.0 on that.  Page B-10 ("Creating a Specialty AppleWorks Disk")
|pretty much tells what files are on which 5.25" disks (but it doesn't say
|where SEG.PR should go).

	SEG.PR holds information on all the printers AppleWorks
	supports.  SEG.ER only holds information on your
	printer(s).  So once you're configured, you don't need
	SEG.PR.

|I have a 5.25" copy working right now, but when it preloads (I have a meg
|in my second //e), it asks for the disks in something like this order:  WP,
|startup, DB startup, SS, startup.  It seems that this is more disk swapping
|than is necessary.

	You need SEG.AW on each disk.  This file holds the desktop
	and main menu code.  Since you have it on the startup
	disk, AppleWorks keeps asking for that disk.

**
                         ___________________________
-------------------------  _    .       ___         --------------------------
ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.edu (_ |_ l F F    | (_) E |_ ucbvax!voder!polyslo!ctuel
-------------------------___________________________--------------------------

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (10/10/89)

Network Comment: to #11455 by gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!wuarchive!uwm.edu!marque!studsys!jetzer@apple.com

-> I have my disks configured as follows:
-> Startup disk:  ProDOS, aplworks.system, seg.aw, seg.el, seg.er, seg.pr,
-> WP/DB disk:    seg.db, seg.wp
-> SS disk:       seg.ss
->
-> (I have an Apple-compatible RAMcard, so I use seg.xm.)
->
-> So the question is:  Does AW 3.0 really need all this disk swapping, or
-> should some file(s) go on different disks?

I don't think SEG.DB, SEG.WP, and SEG.SS will fit on a single side of
a disk... thus you will have to keep swapping. That's the price that you
pay when you add all the new features that AW3.0 does.

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Chumley The Troll ) (10/10/89)

ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) says:
>	SEG.PR holds information on all the printers AppleWorks
>	supports.  SEG.ER only holds information on your
>	printer(s).  So once you're configured, you don't need
>	SEG.PR.

Did they change this in 3.0?  in 2.x SEG.PR contains your specific printer
info and the last date you ran AW, etc...  They require that the SEG.PR file
be unlocked and kept on the boot disk (even when they load AW into a RAM
card they still have to access the boot disk for the SEG.PR info).

>                         ___________________________
>-------------------------  _    .       ___         --------------------------
>ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.edu (_ |_ l F F    | (_) E |_ ucbvax!voder!polyslo!ctuel
>-------------------------___________________________--------------------------
- John

      Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           |
-aka- EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | If two wrongs don't make a right,
-aka- jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        | try three...

tomd@pro-europa.cts.com (Tom Dolezal) (10/11/89)

Comment to message from: gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!wuarchive!uwm.edu!marque!studsys!jetzer@apple.com (Mike Jetzer)

Speaking of AppleWorks 3.0:  has _anyone_ who ordered the UltraMacros update
via the enclosed "29.95 special offer" received it yet?  Seems like I sent in
my order via mail about six weeks ago -- haven't heard a thing yet.

Either Beagle is really _swamped_ or it disappeared into a black hole
somewhere near San Diego.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!tomd
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!tomd@nosc.mil
INET: tomd@pro-europa.cts.com

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (10/11/89)

Network Comment: to #11480 by gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!usc!polyslo!jearls@apple.com

-> Did they change this in 3.0?  in 2.x SEG.PR contains your specific prin
-> info and the last date you ran AW, etc...  They require that the SEG.PR
-> be unlocked and kept on the boot disk (even when they load AW into a RA
-> card they still have to access the boot disk for the SEG.PR info).
{
 Yes, they did change it in AW3.0.  Along with only requiring SEG.PR when
updating printer info, the Printer info is also loaded into memory, keeping
that disk out of that darn drive.

Mark Munz
Beagle Bros

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (10/12/89)

Network Comment: to #12826 by tomd@pro-europa.cts.com

Yes, we're really swamped with the UltraMacros 3.0 offer (along with all other
updates.)  All orders processed through Sept. 30 have been shipped as of today
(Oct. 11.)  We hope to be caught up by the end of this week.

Jeff Jungblut
Beagle Bros

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (10/12/89)

Network Comment: to #11505 by tomd@pro-europa.cts.com

-> Speaking of AppleWorks 3.0:  has _anyone_ who ordered the UltraMacros u
-> via the enclosed "29.95 special offer" received it yet?  Seems like I s
-> my order via mail about six weeks ago -- haven't heard a thing yet.
->
-> Either Beagle is really _swamped_ or it disappeared into a black hole
-> somewhere near San Diego.

 I know for a fact that Beagle is SWAMPED with the Ultra orders. Be patient,
we are getting all the orders out as fast as we can.

Mark Munz
Beagle Bros

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (10/12/89)

In article <8910110900.AA13862@trout.nosc.mil> tomd@pro-europa.cts.com (Tom Dolezal) writes:
>Speaking of AppleWorks 3.0:  has _anyone_ who ordered the UltraMacros update
>via the enclosed "29.95 special offer" received it yet?  Seems like I sent in
>my order via mail about six weeks ago -- haven't heard a thing yet.

>Either Beagle is really _swamped_ or it disappeared into a black hole
>somewhere near San Diego.

I guess you could say they are swamped.  I sent in my applications to be
updated way back in July.  I called a couple of times and they said (at
various times) that they'd be shipping after August 15 (notice that they
didn't say *how much* after).  I called last week and they said that they
had just begun shipping and if I didn't have my upgrades 'within a few weeks'
that I should call again.

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

syslep@pro-lep.cts.com (System Leprechaun) (10/14/89)

Comment to message from: mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz)

Check the appendix of the AppleWorks 3.0 manual, "Creating a Specialty
AppleWorks Disk."  It tells you what to put where on 5.25" disks.
| Don Patrick             |ProLine: syslep@pro-lep| Source: R.I.P.      | |
| 9100 Circle Drive       |     512-288-2114      |  GEnie: DONPATRICK  | |
| Austin TX 78736-7911    | AppleLink: D Patrick  |    CIS: 72355,1717  | |

tomd@pro-europa.cts.com (Tom Dolezal) (10/15/89)

Comment to message from: mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz)

It never fails... as soon as I start asking around about a piece of software
I've been waiting for for weeks and weeks, it arrives.  My UltraMacros 3.0
arrived Friday.  I've finally got all my Timeout stuff running on AW 3.0.