[comp.sys.apple] NEW BUG IN GS/OS

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (10/14/89)

A strange thing I've noticed:  I have a one drive system (3.5).  When I
boot up the system disk, and eject the disk (manually) as soon as the
finder is up, and insert a new disk, the new disk is not recognized.  I
have to eject the disk, and re-insert it.  I don't know that this is an
important bug - or even if it is a bug, but it's nothing I've ever
noticed before.

       -seth
a physics/computer science major in four acts\Carnegie Mellon University
======================================================>
tHe mAd ScienTisT,	| sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
  and other carnations.	| p254sk2f@VB.CC.CMU.EDU
>>tmS software systems<<	|
<======================================================

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (10/15/89)

me too

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/15/89)

In article <IZBhmJO00Ws1I4vEwv@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>A strange thing I've noticed:  I have a one drive system (3.5).  When I
>boot up the system disk, and eject the disk (manually) as soon as the
>finder is up, and insert a new disk, the new disk is not recognized.  I
>have to eject the disk, and re-insert it.  I don't know that this is an
>important bug - or even if it is a bug, but it's nothing I've ever
>noticed before.

Since this does *not* happen on my machines, I need more information before
I can learn anything useful from it.

First, hardware.  Is this an Apple 3.5 drive or a Unidisk 3.5?  Is it attached
to the SmartPort connector on the GS, or is it connected to an card?  (The
Apple 3.5 drive has the "paperclip hole" inside the eject button; the UniDisk
3.5 is white and has the hole elsewhere [below the button, I think].)

Are you booting System Software 5.0?  If it's an Apple 3.5 drive, do you have
the AppleDisk3.5 driver in your System:Drivers folder, and is it active (use
Icon Info on that file from the Finder)?  (Ditto for UniDisk 3.5 and the
UniDisk3.5 driver.)

You say the new disk is "not recognized," and I don't know what to conclude
from that.  Does the System Disk icon "dim" when you eject the disk?  When
you insert the new disk, does the drive's light come on at all?  Does anything
change on the screen at all?
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) (10/15/89)

Comment to message from: sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh)

I've found the same thing, so what I've found that works best is to not eject
the 3.5 disk, untill all the icons are up on screen.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-europa.cts.com
America Online  Dalamar11

ptrepan3@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Pat Trepanier) (10/16/89)

> In article <IZBhmJO00Ws1I4vEwv@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
> >A strange thing I've noticed:  I have a one drive system (3.5).  When I
> >boot up the system disk, and eject the disk (manually) as soon as the
> >finder is up, and insert a new disk, the new disk is not recognized.  I
>
> Since this does *not* happen on my machines, I need more information before
> I can learn anything useful from it.
>
> You say the new disk is "not recognized," and I don't know what to conclude
> from that.  Does the System Disk icon "dim" when you eject the disk?  When
> you insert the new disk, does the drive's light come on at all?  Does anything
> change on the screen at all?

I have the same thing happen, when I boot 5.0 and the finder is coming up and
it checks what is in my 5.25 and I eject the 3.5 disk, it is a genuine apple,
it shows that the system.disk is still in the drive. I can then eject the disk
and then it dims the system.disk and puts the new disk on the desktop. My 5.25
is on a card in slot 6.

I can always get this problem. If I don't wait for the disks to appear on the
desktop I can take out the 3.5 and it still appears as the system.disk is still
in the drive. I don't know if the computer dosen't check if the disk was ejected
while it is polling a different drive.

	Pat Trepanier
	pterpan3@ub.d.umn.edu