[comp.sys.apple] Need help with ORCA/C editor

jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) (10/14/89)

Well, I am now the proud owner of ORCA/C.
I have only played with it for a couple of hours, and, it appears
to be worth every cent I paid.

HOWEVER, I definitely  prefer to work in the text environment
instead of the desk top and I have not been able to get the text
editor to work in this environment.  I did some snooping and found that
there should be the file:
	/orca.c/system/editor
on one of the disks and I can't find it!

What am I doing wrong or what did Byte Works do wrong?

Also, are there very many other people using this package?
Is there a User's Group?

Thanks,
Jim Brohard
cbsds!jmb
or
cbnews!jmb

c162-dx@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (William Wong) (10/15/89)

In article <10244@cbnews.ATT.COM> jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard,45740,cb,3A294,6148604880) writes:

>editor to work in this environment.  I did some snooping and found that
>there should be the file:
>	/orca.c/system/editor
>on one of the disks and I can't find it!

Yes, the Editor file should be in /orca.c/system/, but alas, for some
bizzare reason (perhaps out of memeory), Byte Works decided to put it
in the /Samples/Extras/ in the Samples disk.

>Also, are there very many other people using this package?
>Is there a User's Group?

I don't know how many out there using it, but for one, I am using it and like
Orca/C a lot.  The text editor is great for writing programs, the desktop
editor is great for viewing multiple files and copying text from file to
file.

I don't think there is a user's group for it.

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (10/15/89)

On 14 Oct 89 03:16:56 GMT  "James M. Brohard" said:

>HOWEVER, I definitely  prefer to work in the text environment
>instead of the desk top and I have not been able to get the text
>editor to work in this environment.  I did some snooping and found that
>there should be the file:
>	/orca.c/system/editor
>on one of the disks and I can't find it!

Look on the Samples, disk, under the EXTRAS directory.  They moved it there so
there would be more room on the Boot disk.  It should be copied to the DESKTOP
disk, System directory, (if I remember correctly).

>What am I doing wrong or what did Byte Works do wrong?

See above :)

>Also, are there very many other people using this package?

Me.  I am using it, but getting fruistrated every once in a while.  No time,
not enough memory, need more practice.  sigh...

>Is there a User's Group?

If not, we can form one?

Kurt

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?   Doesn't that come after dinner?  I like strawberry shortcake"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (10/16/89)

Network Comment: to #6191 by att!cbnews!jmb@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

  If you are looking on your original ORCA/C disks, check the release.notes
file on your disk, I believe they moved it to another disk just before release
for more room.

  It should be all loaded on an HD anyways, right?

  If not you should consider building a dedicated C compiler disk. Where you
have taken out all the prizm stuff, the help files and utilities your never
likely to use. Then change the login file to make your ram disk a prefix for
temporary storage, and then keep your own source files on the ram disk.
Compile them to ram disk, copy them off the ram disk before running, but work
from the ram disk.. it makes things SO much faster.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sysop
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sysop@nosc.mil
INET: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/16/89)

In article <10244@cbnews.ATT.COM> jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard,45740,cb,3A294,6148604880) writes:
>HOWEVER, I definitely  prefer to work in the text environment
>instead of the desk top and I have not been able to get the text
>editor to work in this environment.  I did some snooping and found that
>there should be the file:
>	/orca.c/system/editor
>on one of the disks and I can't find it!

The (text-based) EDITOR should be in the UTILITIES directory.
I don't recall whether or not ByteWorks included it; mine might be
left over from APW, since I merged the APW, ByteWorks, and additional
utilities such as MAKE into a single development environment.

However, I don't understand why you prefer the text-based editor.
I like the desktop one MUCH better; it's essentially a superset of
the text one, with the addition of mouse-based cut & paste.