[comp.sys.apple] Sharing Disks/Printers

nazgul@alphalpha.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (10/12/89)

Does anyone know what the Apple Talk networking card
for the IIe does for you?  Presumably with the right software
you can access remote disks/printers/anything.  But a) is
there software, and b) does it emulate anything by its lonesome?
What I'd really like to do is use it under ProLine to access
my Mac's printer and/or disk.  I'd also like to use Publish-It
and it to access the printer.  What is the thing for and how
do you use it (other than with System 5 on a GS)?

This was all rather moot until recently, when a company called
Information Presentation Technologies anounced a "Personal
Network Server" which is AppleShare compatible and doesn't
require a dedicated Mac. (800/233-9993, $145 per user, 30 day
money back guarantee).
					-kee

BTW.  Where does one get the ImageWriter I emulator for the
laser printer?

Please reply in person, I'm not currently on the list or reading
news.

nazgul@alphalpha.com *** NOT WORKING YET ***	Alphalpha Software, Inc.
alphalpha!nazgul@bu-it.bu.edu			148 Scituate St.
obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu		Arlington, MA 02174
nazgul@osf.org					Home:  617/641-3805
    *** The following will not work until the NYNEX strike ends ***
Proline: nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com		Modem: 617/641-3722
	 					Work:  617/646-7703

-------

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/15/89)

In article <8910121657.AA17135@obsolete.UUCP> nazgul@alphalpha.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>Does anyone know what the Apple Talk networking card
>for the IIe does for you?  Presumably with the right software
>you can access remote disks/printers/anything.

The card comes with software to let you log onto AppleShare file servers and
choose network ImageWriter and LaserWriter printers.  The card pretty much
emulates a SuperSerial card (at the firmware level, not the hardware), so
you can print to it from many (not all) existing programs.

>[...]  What is the thing for and how
>do you use it (other than with System 5 on a GS)?

Apple doesn't support using the Workstation card on an Apple IIgs. (The
GS has AppleTalk capability built in.)

Using the workstation card on an Apple IIe, you can boot ProDOS 8 from a
server if you want.  If you boot locally, you can still log onto and off
of server volumes, and they look to your ProDOS 8 software pretty much
like ProDOS volumes (except that READ_BLOCK and WRITE_BLOCK return an
error).

>[...]
>BTW.  Where does one get the ImageWriter I emulator for the
>laser printer?

It comes with GS System Software 5.0 and with the Apple IIe workstation
software.  The GS Control Panel NDA's LaserWriter CDev has a button for
downloading the emulator into a LaserWriter, and the Chooser.II program
has the same capability under ProDOS 8 (on either machine).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (10/16/89)

Network Comment: to #6209 by dlyons@apple.com

  Can a GS(ROM 3) + System 5  boot off an AppleShare server without having a
3.5" disk drive to install the client software? What limitations(even with the
floppy) does the GS endure by doing this. For example could one play on of the
Sierra games which has to access lots of files such as Kings' Quest IV at a
reasonable speed(with a TWGS although I don't see this as helping).I've tried
this between 2 Macs hooked up over AppleTalk and using TOPS and saw no
difference in game play.The Macs were the SE/30 and the IIcx.I then tried it
with AppleShare on one of the Macs and it worked great.Really eliminated the
need for a HD drive.

  What is the situation in the GS case? The AppleTalk port seems to be one of
the serial ports.Hopefully this won't slow AppleTalk down to 9600bps.

 Philip McDunnough    ->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
:University of Toronto
 [my own opinions]