[comp.sys.apple] Bad News..

kirk@pro-realm.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) (10/15/89)

I just saw an ad in the paper this morning. "Your school can get FREE Apple
Computers!" Blah..Blah..Blah.. Now for the bad part - They have a picture of a
Apple MACINTOSH PLUS! What the **** is going on with Apple?! Have they decided
to drop the II line for good?!

ProLine: kirk@pro-realm                     |            Pro-Realm
BITNET:  kirk%pro-realm.cts.com@nosc.mil    |  3/12/2400 baud (914) 691-3863
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk           | "The opinions expressed are my
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk@nosc.mil  |  my own."

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/16/89)

In article <8910151939.AA27344@trout.nosc.mil> kirk@pro-realm.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) writes:
>Have they decided to drop the II line for good?!

Maybe they merely need to dump a surplus of Mac+es and decided this was the
best way (for Apple) to do it.

Cheer up, maybe they know they can SELL Apple IIGSes as fast as they can make
them, and that's why they're not giving any away..

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (10/16/89)

In article <11308@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <8910151939.AA27344@trout.nosc.mil> kirk@pro-realm.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) writes:
>>Have they decided to drop the II line for good?!
>
>Maybe they merely need to dump a surplus of Mac+es and decided this was the
>best way (for Apple) to do it.
>
>Cheer up, maybe they know they can SELL Apple IIGSes as fast as they can make
>them, and that's why they're not giving any away..

No, they're giving away GSs and IIc+s also, as well as software, most of
which is for the II.  If I remember, a GS can be had for $250,000 worth of
receipts, a Mac+ for $185,000, and a IIc+ for $150,000, so I don't think
that they expect to be giving out a whole lot at those prices.

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu