[comp.sys.apple] Music Studio, Sider, Thexder

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (10/15/89)

I have Music Studio 2.0, and am running it under GS/OS 5.0.  I haven't had
the problem mentioned with the program hanging.  I _have_ had another problem,
however.  Occassionally, MS gets stuck playing a note and won't stop short of
quitting the program.  Has anyone ever heard of this before and, if so,
what causes it and what is the solution?

I also just got Thexder.  I really like it but the version I have (I bought
the original + docs used, so it's an older version) can't use the joystick.
I seem to remember something about a newer version that can use the joystick.
Does anyone know anything about this?

Finally, I see that First Class Peripherals is advertising a SCSI card for
their drives that they claim "will allow your Sider to operate an incredible
Twelve [sic] (12) times faster."  This sounds too good to be true to me.
Does anyone have any experience w/ this?  I got their driver for the Sider
D4a that was supposed to double the speed of the drive, but I have seen
a much small increase, only.  Does it really work 12X faster or some
fraction thereof?  Do you think it's worth the $150 for the new card?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (10/15/89)

In article <8910142057.aa08477@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517) writes:
>I also just got Thexder.  I really like it but the version I have (I bought
>the original + docs used, so it's an older version) can't use the joystick.
>I seem to remember something about a newer version that can use the joystick.
>Does anyone know anything about this?

It's not in the docs, but in fact the old version of Thexder will let you
use the joystick too, by just pressing 'J' while playing the game.  However,
it doesn't work too well, at least with my joystick.  If you send your
original disk back to Sierra On-Line, they'll send you a new version with
better joystick control and a game-save feature.

>Kevin Lepard
>Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (10/16/89)

Comment to message from: SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET (Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517)

Kevin,
  Unless I'm missing something, the newer Siders are NOT SCSI.  Rather they
are SASI (Shugart Associates Standard Interface [Shugart is now known as
Seagate, FYI]).  While the two standards are similar, there are many
noticeable differences.
Randy
rs.miller@pro-harvest
"On, you cheeseheads, on, you cheeseheads..."

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/20/89)

In article <8910170955.AA16393@trout.nosc.mil>, rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) writes:
> Comment to message from: SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET (Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517)
>
> Kevin,
>   Unless I'm missing something, the newer Siders are NOT SCSI.  Rather they
> are SASI (Shugart Associates Standard Interface [Shugart is now known as
> Seagate, FYI]).  While the two standards are similar, there are many
> noticeable differences.

Um...perhaps it would be more correct to say that Shugart is no longer at
Shugart...he left to start up Seagate.  Shugart kept on after Al left
(without the use of his name, as it were).

"...I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by
reorganizing: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion
of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."
	- Petronius Arbiter, 210 B.C.