[comp.sys.apple] ecp16?

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (10/13/89)

What's the scoop on ECP16?  The copy in husc6.harvard.edu is a
preliminary version that's packed in sq3, but even when 'unq3'ed, it
still seems to be packed somehow.  Is there a more recent version? Has
it gone commercial, or is it only available from the author?

On another note- is there a way to load CDA's into memory w/o loading
GS/OS?

Also, is there by any chance a unix-like shell for the GS?  Just to
toss some wood on the fire, is there any reason that a person couldn't
take the sources for Unix BSD 4.3 and modify/hack/re-write it to work
on a GS?  Seems to me this would be a _real_ good test of a C
compiler...

Hardware: if anyone has a Xebec, datamac, or sider drive(s), dead or
alive, I'm interested.  Anybody have a 40meg NEC 5146H they would swap
for a Quantum Q540?  How 'bout a Seagate ST225 for a Quantum Q540?
Anybody looking for a //e logic board?  How 'bout a couple ][+'s?  I
want some new playtoys.... let's trade!  :)

--Chan Wilson
=============
'Fiction is art and art is the triumph over chaos...to celebrate a world
that lies spread out around us like a bewildering and stupendous dream.'
............cwilson@nisc.sri.com.....cwilson@nic.ddn.mil...................

--Chan Wilson
 "The vision of the future-- here, and now..." -- Sigue Sigue Sputnik
            cwilson@nisc.sri.com or cwilson@nic.ddn.mil
               `the center of the Internet Universe'

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/14/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.624244634.cwilson@fs4.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:
>[...]
>On another note- is there a way to load CDA's into memory w/o loading
>GS/OS?

Funny you should mention that...Roger Wagner Publishing sells something called
P8CDA that loads CDAs under ProDOS 8.

I like it...but then Hey: I wrote it.

It doesn't work with *all* CDAs, but it works with many of them (OMF 1 or
OMF 2, but not Expressed stuff).  If the CDA requires GS/OS to be around,
you're out of luck, of course.

Disclaimer:  So it's a plug.  Should I have just said "Yes"? :-)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (10/15/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.624244634.cwilson@fs4.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:
>What's the scoop on ECP16?  The copy in husc6.harvard.edu is a
>preliminary version that's packed in sq3, but even when 'unq3'ed, it
>still seems to be packed somehow.

It's not packed beyond sq3, but for some reason the filetype of the
ecp16.sys16 file is bin, not s16.  Changing this (by bloading from BASIC
and then bsaving it as ts16) gets it working.

>--Chan Wilson

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/16/89)

In article <35644@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>It doesn't work with *all* CDAs, but it works with many of them (OMF 1 or
>OMF 2, but not Expressed stuff).

I thought Expressed files were still valid OMF files and loadable by
the standard loader.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/20/89)

In article <11303@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <35644@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>>It doesn't work with *all* CDAs, but it works with many of them (OMF 1 or
>>OMF 2, but not Expressed stuff).
>
>I thought Expressed files were still valid OMF files and loadable by
>the standard loader.

They are, but P8CDA is *not* the standard loader.  I haven't actually tried
fatal error when it comes across the first segment, since the segment kind
is "dynamic data segment" (P8CDA doesn't deal with any dynamic segments at
all, although maybe I should have permitted dynamic data segments.)