[comp.sys.apple] Tex

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (02/11/88)

  Has anyone heard of a version of Tex (the typesetting system designed by
Knuth) for the Apple II series?

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) (10/17/89)

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Network Comment: to #6170 by rang%speedy.wisc.edu@BRL.MIL
>
>Furthermore you cannot,to the best of my knowledge,find a GS version of TeX
>even though this is in the public domain,would suit the GS(it is not WYSYWIG)
>and would enable GS users to compose (long) technical documents. The Amiga and
>the Atari both have implementations of TeX which can be obtained via ftp.It is
>a matter of having a good C compiler I suppose.Ther is also a commercial
>version of TeX on the Amiga which is used in various universities.This may be
>the best implementation of TeX on any computer(except the NeXT-same person
>ported it there).

I'm working on such a beast.. I do have parts of the system runing..
Unfortunatly I do not have the memory to link such a hog.. If anybody has say
3M and a development system and would be willing to help me with this, write
to me.. I only(:-) have a filled up GSRam.. Even with Apple's new Linker I can
not do it.. So the only solution is to move up in memory.. Unfortunatly that
would also set me back about $500..
I have the dvi printer working, and testing that with a TeX system setup on
my favourite Unix system I get to have beutiful typeset documents..

I have tried to do some simple Math on a desktop system (Econ department
requires* homework to be typed...) and it totally sucks.. Looks like

somebody just came along and stuck it down anywhere..
So write to me if you are willing to help me with this..

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm                Compuserve: 70611,2215
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                        ALPE: DougMac
INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com                                    GENIE: D.MCINTYRE1

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (10/18/89)

  A few messages ago (~40) someone mentioned that they wanted to see an
implementation of TeX on the GS.  I second the motion.  Last I looked, TeX was
a montrous, but not unreasonable, pile of Pascal code.  I would bet that we
have the processor horsepower, and certainly the memory.  Anyone with a copy of
TeX want to look at the source for us?  As I recall, Knuth made it very easy to
implement on any machine that ran standard Pascal.

  (Anyone want to do try to arrange a net.project?)

  Scott Ellsworth

  ps.  H. Grant Delany: Did the post of an installer script imply a post of the
rest of Sys 5.0 -> 5.02, or was that just meant to suggest that we should go
out and get it.  :)

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Stupid ) (10/20/89)

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU ("Scott, part time fuzzy") says:

>  A few messages ago (~40) someone mentioned that they wanted to see an
>implementation of TeX on the GS.  I second the motion.  Last I looked, TeX was
>a montrous, but not unreasonable, pile of Pascal code.  I would bet that we
>have the processor horsepower, and certainly the memory.  Anyone with a copy of
>TeX want to look at the source for us?  As I recall, Knuth made it very easy to
>implement on any machine that ran standard Pascal.
>
>  (Anyone want to do try to arrange a net.project?)

I have seen and worked with the source for TeX on a VAX/VMS system.  The
source is distributed in a format called WeB, which includes TeX, funky
declarations, and Pascal source all in one file.  The WeB files for TeX,
not including LaTeX or Metafont, are more than three megabytes long.  I
know I wouldn't want to try to compile something like that on the //gs...

>  Scott Ellsworth
>
>  ps.  H. Grant Delany: Did the post of an installer script imply a post of the
>rest of Sys 5.0 -> 5.02, or was that just meant to suggest that we should go
>out and get it.  :)

- John

P.S.  I do own a GS and I love it; the only reason I would ever give it up
      is if someone decided to donate an Amiga 2000/2500/3000 (if it ever
      comes out) to my cause...

Stupid@Idiots.Anonymous.Com | There's an explanation for everything. Tis a pity
jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  | that many of those explanations make no sense.
earlsj@AFAL-EDWARDS.AF.MIL  | - The Teachings of Ebenezum, volume LXIX

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/20/89)

In article <392CA75D7DFF80091D@HMCVAX.BITNET> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>Last I looked, TeX was a montrous, but not unreasonable, pile of Pascal code.

Actually, it's WEB, which needs to be preprocessed before being fed to the
compiler.  There is also a corresponding C translation available, and that's
the one usually used on UNIX systems.

>I would bet that we have the processor horsepower, and certainly the memory.

Don't be so sure about that.

>As I recall, Knuth made it very easy to implement on any machine that ran
>standard Pascal.

Ease of implementation (actually, porting) lies in the eye of the beholder.
TEX itself is by no means the only thing you'll need.  You also need device
postprocessor support for the Apple IIGS display (which is lousy) and for
whatever hardcopy printers you want to support.  In turn, this requires
storage for Metafont descriptions (or font bitmaps, if you take that
approach).  I personally don't think it would be worth the trouble.