[comp.sys.apple] GS Portable

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (10/18/89)

Rumors...  I LOVE rumors.  Could this be true?  Sure sounds good.

 (10/9/89) --  Apple Computer IIGS Laptop
     Despite industry speculation, Apple Computer, Inc. is still maintaining
its cloak of secrecy surrounding development of the IIGS Laptop, codenamed
Malibu, long expected by industry analysts as providing an alternative to
low-end users who still need the functionality of a GS but require the
portability as well.
     From sources within the industry, it can be deduced that the Malibu will
include the same microprocessor architecture as the IIGS, full stereo sound
and
the IWM (integrated Woz Machine) chip, as well as some provision for
expansion,
probably through the use of a low-profile NuBus slot.  An internal 2400 baud
modem appears to be optional, and will probably sell well, since most
travellers will also face the need for telecommunication as well.
     The Malibu will double as an entry-level machine for GS users, since its
gas-plasma display will not allow the use of color.  Nonetheless, with its
rechargable nickel-cadmium battery assembly, expected usage will vary between
6
to 10 hours on a typical charge, depending on usage.  Apple is using advanced
CMOS circuitry, and with the use of static RAM, power consumption is expected
to be lower than with standard RAM chips; further, the hard drive (optional 40
meg) will automatically power down after a period of inactivity.
     Chief advantages of the IIGS over other industry laptops are: User
interface, low weight, expandability (with its single NuBus slot).  There are
also ports on the back to accommodate two serial devices, as well as a SCSI
port, stereo jack and modem port.  Price is expected to range between (US)
$900-1400.  The announcement by Apple Computer is to take place in Cupertino
on
20 October, one month after Apple announced its latest products in the popular
Macintosh line, the IICI and the Mac portable.  Such committment to the IIGS
line indicates that Apple does not yet regard the IIGS line as an evolutionary
dead end.

nXVFMB--Cuperino, CA [NewsNet 10/9/89 B.Bowker 118A-HF]

****

Personally, I think it's fascinating that Apple would release such a machine.
The more IIGS's sold, the better.  The basic price of course doesn't include
the cost of a hard drive; but the NuBus slot sounds interesting.  I would
assume there would be 1 meg of ram on the motherboard, just like the ROM 3
machine.  I wonder how you'd warp it up to speed; a transwarp GS isn't NuBus
compatible.  Gee, maybe there will be a faster processor.  Nah....

Well, October 20th isn't very far away... I guess we'll find out if this is
true or not real soon.

Sounds like "laptop fever" has hit the computer world really bad.

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (10/18/89)

I'll believe it when I see it and if I do see it, I'll take back ALL those
things I've said and thought about Apple. Long live the II!

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/20/89)

In article <21029@gryphon.COM>, lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
> Rumors...  I LOVE rumors.  Could this be true?  Sure sounds good.
>
>  (10/9/89) --  Apple Computer IIGS Laptop
>      Despite industry speculation, Apple Computer, Inc. is still maintaining
> its cloak of secrecy surrounding development of the IIGS Laptop, codenamed
> Malibu, long expected by industry analysts as providing an alternative to
> low-end users who still need the functionality of a GS but require the
> portability as well.
>      From sources within the industry, it can be deduced that the Malibu will
> include the same microprocessor architecture as the IIGS, full stereo sound
>	[...]
>      The Malibu will double as an entry-level machine for GS users, since its
> gas-plasma display will not allow the use of color.  Nonetheless, with its
> rechargable nickel-cadmium battery assembly, expected usage will vary between
> 6
> to 10 hours on a typical charge, depending on usage.

If this ever actually exists, it'll use Lead-Acid cells:

Unless the NiCads are truck-sized, you won't be able to use the display
while on battery power.  (They suck lots more juice than LCD displays.  Most
of the plasma displays won't run at all off batteries.)

> Apple is using advanced
> CMOS circuitry, and with the use of static RAM, power consumption is expected
> to be lower than with standard RAM chips; further, the hard drive (optional 40
> meg) will automatically power down after a period of inactivity.

A reasonable extrapolation, given the recent Mac Portable.

>      Chief advantages of the IIGS over other industry laptops are: User
> interface, low weight, expandability (with its single NuBus slot).

Oops...NuBus drinks too much power.  Re: Mac Portable.

> There are
> also ports on the back to accommodate two serial devices, as well as a SCSI
> port, stereo jack and modem port.  Price is expected to range between (US)
> $900-1400.

Highly unreasonable extrapolation, given the recent MP!

------------
"...I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by
reorganizing: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion
of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."
	- Petronius Arbiter, 210 B.C.

jerryk@pro-tcc.UUCP ("Jerry E. Kindall") (10/20/89)

Network Comment: to #1358 by usc!hacgate!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez@ucsd.edu

If they put a NuBus slot in a "IIgs", it's a Mac... no way can they put a
NuBus slot in an Apple II and expect any existing peripherals to work with it.

Today's October 20; I guess we'll find out today!
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry