[comp.sys.apple] Rwts and the like...help!

alank@pro-beagle.cts.com (Alan Krause) (10/16/89)

  Ok, here's the situation:

  I want to modify some things in ProDos 8's RWTS, so that when I format a
disk, it will be 'different' than normal...  For example, I'd like to be able
to change the address headers, epilog bytes, sector numbering, and the like..
I do not have Beneath Apple ProDos (Unfortunately) so I cant refer to that...
  My question is, how can I modify the RWTS in memory to do the above things,
and then format a disk so that it contains this information?
    Thanx,
      Alan Krause
      (@pro-beagle)

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/18/89)

In article <8910160302.AA02096@trout.nosc.mil> alank@pro-beagle.cts.com (Alan Krause) writes:
}
}  Ok, here's the situation:
}
}  I want to modify some things in ProDos 8's RWTS, so that when I format a
}disk, it will be 'different' than normal...  For example, I'd like to be able
}to change the address headers, epilog bytes, sector numbering, and the like..
}I do not have Beneath Apple ProDos (Unfortunately) so I cant refer to that...
}  My question is, how can I modify the RWTS in memory to do the above things,
}and then format a disk so that it contains this information?
}    Thanx,
}      Alan Krause
}      (@pro-beagle)

First off, the only internal ProDOS drivers are the Clock driver and the Disk ][
(5.25") driver, and the /RAM drive driver.

Secondly, the only device that support formatting is the /RAM driver. The Disk ][
driver only understands status, read and write calls (early versions of ProDOS8
would do a write when a format call was requested, there by destroying the disk.
If this is fixed, I don't know.)

Third, if you REALLY need to do what your requesting, your going to have to write
a disk driver to read and write to you modified disk, so you might as well go all
the way and write a complete driver to do all read/write/status/format requests.

Finally, Beneath Apple DOS and Beneath Apple ProDOS are invalueable tools for the
work ahead of you.  I'd try getting my hands on some copies.

(I once needed to include a DISK ][ formatter in a program I was writing.  I ended
up analyzing the DOS 3.3 RWTS code and optimized the heck out of the format routines.
If you really want to understand DISK ][ driver code, I'd suggest a good study of
the DOS 3.3 RWTS code.)

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (10/18/89)

In article <8910160302.AA02096@trout.nosc.mil> alank@pro-beagle.cts.com (Alan Krause) writes:
>  Ok, here's the situation:
>
>  I want to modify some things in ProDos 8's RWTS, so that when I format a
>disk, it will be 'different' than normal...  For example, I'd like to be able
>to change the address headers, epilog bytes, sector numbering, and the like..
>I do not have Beneath Apple ProDos (Unfortunately) so I cant refer to that...
>  My question is, how can I modify the RWTS in memory to do the above things,
>and then format a disk so that it contains this information?
>    Thanx,
>      Alan Krause

A) ProDOS doesn't have any format code which can lay down these headers,
   so there is nothing to modify except the access routines.  You would
   have to write your own formatter, and then write a ProDOS directory to
   the 'different' disk.  This would involve writing a program which
   could access both formats at the same time during copying, which
   wasn't really too hard.
B) If you are protecting a product, then you should check to see if Apple
   will allow you to distribute a modified ProDOS with your copy
   protected software.  I don't think so.  The Disk ][ driver will
   probably not behave or stay in the same locations.
C) If you are working on a product, then you could probably use some good
   documentation: buy Beneath Apple ProDOS.
D) If you are NOT working on a product, then why would you want to cause
   yourself such trouble?  You can just go out and buy some copy
   protected software if you really want that kind of headache. :-)

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

alank@pro-beagle.cts.com (Alan Krause) (10/21/89)

Network Comment: to #11867 by microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net

  Well Brian, I am attempting to help someone protect their software that they
have written.....  I personally believe that shareware is bs, but copy
protection is sort of a waste of time... I enjoy cracking my originals at
home, and looking att he protection schemes each company has used.. their
methods and the like...  But anyways, nuff' said.
     Alan