[comp.sys.apple] A rose by any other name...

a34@mindlink.UUCP (David Martyn) (10/09/89)

I noticed that Point-to-Point version 4.0 uses TEL as the file type for $E0,
hence Telecommunications file.
David Martyn, Burnaby, British Columbia  |  Perfection of the means of
Sysop: Apples BC  BBS                    |  communication has meant
David_Martyn@MindLink.uucp               |  instantaneity. (McLuhan)

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/10/89)

A brief history of an archiver:

May - started out only able to file the contents of NuFX archives.  So,
      I called it NuView.

Aug - (or so) It was able to most of the things you'd expect from an
      archive, so I called it NuARC.

Sep - SeaWare owns ARC, and doesn't like it when people even *think*
      about using those three letters in a program name.  So, it
      becomes CShrink (Shrinkit-compatible archiver written in C).

Oct - Guess which program is now commercial?  L&L own ShrinkIt, so I
      can't use "Shrink" or "It" in the name.

Today - I don't know what the hell to call it.  Suggestions are welcome.

The best I can think of is "NuSquish" (nusq).  I don't want to use
SQueeze to avoid confusion, and "Squash" is too vegetarian for me.  If
you can think of a better one, or a good reason why NuSquish would be
a bad idea, please let me know via e-mail.

I'm gonna call it the "No-Name Archiver" (nna) if I can't get this
worked out.  Grrrr...

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

On Mon, 9 Oct 89 21:26:28 GMT you said:
>The best I can think of is "NuSquish" (nusq).  I don't want to use
>SQueeze to avoid confusion, and "Squash" is too vegetarian for me.  If
>you can think of a better one, or a good reason why NuSquish would be
>a bad idea, please let me know via e-mail.

How about NuFXCA (or maybe NuFCA which is easier to say out loud :-)

as in NuFX C Archiver?

Maybe CANu ("I can row a boat; CANu?") -- C Archiver for NuFX?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/12/89)

Well, here's what has been suggested so far:

Name				My comments
CANu (C Archiver for NuFX)	[ nah ]
CPack				[ maybe ]
Compact				[ a UNIX utility... ]
CompactIt			[ can't use "Shrink" *or* "It" ]
Compresser			[ does more than just compress ]
NAU (NuFX Archive Utility)	[+ leaves very little to the imagination ]
NLU (NuFX Library Utility)	[+ I kinda like this one... BLU <-> NLU ]
NuC (sounds like News)		[ sounds more like nuisance... not good ]
NuCompact			[ too UNIXish ]
NuCrunch			[ maybe ]
NuCruncher			[ not very descriptive really ]
NuFA (NuFX Archiver)		[ maybe... sounds a lot like Hoffa ]
NuFXCA				[ if I could pronounce it, I'd use it ]
NuKE (NuFX KrunchEr)		[ that's a joke, son ]
NuLib				[+ not bad... hmm... ]
NuPack				[ maybe ]
NuPacker			[ I don't like the -er ones for some reason ]
NuSquish			[ too reminiscent of dropped Jell-O ]
NuStuff				[ too StuffIt ish ]
PackIt				[ been used on the Mac ]
Reducer				[ different, but not descriptive (NuFX...) ]

I'm still open to ideas... (via e-mail, please)

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (10/14/89)

Comment to message from: pasteur!cory.Berkeley.EDU!fadden@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

Andy...

How's about....... "NOPE"....??

New Optimum Packing Envelope

As in, "ShrinkIT"????... ; "NOPE"!!!

<smile>

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/14/89)

In article <18132@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) writes:
|A brief history of an archiver:
|
|Aug - (or so) It was able to most of the things you'd expect from an
|      archive, so I called it NuARC.
|
|Sep - SeaWare owns ARC, and doesn't like it when people even *think*
|      about using those three letters in a program name.  So, it
|      becomes CShrink (Shrinkit-compatible archiver written in C).
|
|Oct - Guess which program is now commercial?  L&L own ShrinkIt, so I
|      can't use "Shrink" or "It" in the name.
|
|Today - I don't know what the hell to call it.  Suggestions are welcome.

|--
|fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
|...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

	You may be jumping the gun here on all these name changes.  Have you even
tried getting written permission from the owners of ARC and Shrinkit to use your
derived names?

	I myself prefer NuARC.  I'm under the impression that SEA is not so
much after anybody that uses the letters 'ARC' in there product name, but to
prohibit persons from producing a incompatible archive that advertises to be
compatible.

	The use of 'ARC' in the names of non-SEA products invades even the UNIX,
and Apple worlds. (I've got a freeware version of a ARC running on my Sun work-
stations, (which the author has permission to distribute under the name 'ARC')
and we have DeARC running on the Apple //e's, //c's, and //gs.)

	Try writing SEA for written permission to use the name 'NuARC' as your
program name.  As long as you promise not to advertise it as 'ARC' compatible,
and even go to the length of promising to add a notice to the documentation,
startup screen, and online help screen that NuARC is a NuFx compatible archiver,
and not an ARC compatible archiver, they may grant you permission to use it.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (10/15/89)

Network Comment: to #12205 by sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com

Andy...

I actually like "NUKit" myself.  :-)

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (10/16/89)

Comment to message from: lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez)

Hi Lynda!
With today's current topic being "environmental safety" and with all the
anti-nukies out there <not me... I like cheap nuclear power and glowing in the
dark... makes love-making at midnight in the dark a snap> I don't think Andy
will go with anything that has NUK or NUKE in its name. (Then again, people
betting against what I say have made millions...)

Haven't you ever heard, "JUST SAY NOPE???" <grin>

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (10/16/89)

Yeah NUKit has a nice ring to it..........

Osiris

jerryk@pro-tcc.UUCP ("Jerry E. Kindall") (10/17/89)

Network Comment: to #1211 by UD182050@vm1.nodak.edu

Hmmm, how about just plain "nu", for "NuFX Utility"?  Short, easy to say, easy
to remember, easy to type.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

ART100@PSUVM.PSU.EDU ("Andy Tefft 862-6728", 814) (10/19/89)

>Hmmm, how about just plain "nu", for "NuFX Utility"?  Short, easy to say, easy
>to remember, easy to type.

I agree!! that's even better than my favorite of those mentioned so
far, nna. Even though it DOES have 'nu' in it....

On Tue, 17 Oct 89 06:01:06 EST you said:
>Network Comment: to #1211 by UD182050@vm1.nodak.edu
>
>Hmmm, how about just plain "nu", for "NuFX Utility"?  Short, easy to say, easy
>to remember, easy to type.

The only problem is that it won't be 'nu' forever (it'll get old after
awhile ;-)

         *sorry* I couldn't resist.

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (10/21/89)

Comment to message from: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Murph Sewall)

>> The only problem is that it won't be 'nu' forever (it'll get old after
>> awhile ;-)

Murph...
You crack me up... "it won't me 'nu' forever..." It may not be 'nu' forever
but one can always say 'NOPE". <As in "Just say NOPE!"> NuFXed Optimized
Packing Envelope is the way to go> {smile}
/steve