[comp.sys.apple] Graphics & SHR

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (10/18/89)

I just got my IIGS assembler last week.  I just got time to use it today, and
found that the SHR screen really is usable for animation!!!!!  I have never
used C for animation before, and tried it, but it sure didn't do too much for
me.  Blam..the wonders of quick memory moves!

Is their really any reason not to bypass quickdraw?  Or, is more that just
a outline of a window in that area of memory?

SHR is great!  This is the first time in my life no lookup tables are needed
for drawing!!!!!  Feels like heaven to me.

scott hutinger   mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/21/89)

In article <8910172140.aa00225@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) writes:
>I just got my IIGS assembler last week.  I just got time to use it today, and
>found that the SHR screen really is usable for animation!!!!!  I have never
>used C for animation before, and tried it, but it sure didn't do too much for
>me.  Blam..the wonders of quick memory moves!
>
>Is their really any reason not to bypass quickdraw?  Or, is more that just
>a outline of a window in that area of memory? [...]

For some kinds of programs, going directly to the screen is your best choice.
Reasons to *use* QuickDraw II include:  insuring compatibility with any future
GS-compatible machines, and (if you use the other desktop tools, too) providing
the user with a consistent desktop interface, including NDAs.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.