[comp.sys.apple] Earthquake?

MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (10/19/89)

I just wondered...I have heard everything about San fran, but not much about
San Jose, Cupertino etc area.  Was it that BAD in this area?  Eg. are all
the interstates buckled, Stevens buckled?  Are houses standing?  If they
are standing, is anything left inside them?

I did hear that Apple was closed for 1 day, but the media seems to only let
use know about the north east bay area.

Scares me.

scott hutinger   mmpr004@ecncdc.bitnet

winch@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bill Winchester) (10/20/89)

There was a whole-lot-a-shakin-goin-on.   8-|

Well, it was 5:04pm on Tuesday the 17 and I am standing in the isle near my
cubicle in Hewlett Packard Cupertino Bldg 42.  It starts to shake.  "Oh, an
earthquake."  The lady engineer I work with didn't waste an instant. She dove
straight under her desk.  I thought,"Hum, lets see what happens."  Well, what
happened was that I couldn't keep on my feet, so I dove under MY desk.  I have
never experienced such lateral ground movement in an earthquake in the 40
years that I have been in California!

I live in San Jose near the City of Campbell. It took me 3 hours to get home.
First an hour and a half wait for the bus, then a hour and a half ride.  The
power and therefore the traffic lights were all out all the way home.

In the dark, I could just make out some of the damage.  The Grand Auto store
on Prospect just across the street from West Gate Shopping Center had some
plate glass windows smashed, merchandise off the shelves and strewn all
over the floor.  The BP filling station (aka: Mobile) on Campbell Ave. at
San Thomas Aquino had its canopy fall straight down on its gas pumps.  Luckily
no-one was underneath.

I personaly was  LUCKY!!!!  LUCKY!!!!   LUCKY!!!

My family and I experienced no loss or damage to our property except 2 juice
glasses.  My apple IIgs has its color monitor propped up on its little view
angle elevator.  During the quake it danced forward until it dropped over the
edge of the System Saver, but no problem it still works great!

Are you guys at Apple O.K.?  I haven't seen any postings from you!

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (10/21/89)

In article <8910191036.aa12718@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) writes:
>I just wondered...I have heard everything about San fran, but not much about
>San Jose, Cupertino etc area.  Was it that BAD in this area?  Eg. are all
>the interstates buckled, Stevens buckled?  Are houses standing?  If they
>are standing, is anything left inside them?
>
>I did hear that Apple was closed for 1 day, but the media seems to only let
>use know about the north east bay area.

Apple was hit along with the rest of the South Bay area.  Cupertino and
San Jose were VERY lucky.  Some places were not really affected, others took
a lot of damage--mostly cosmetic.

We are back up and operating in a somewhat normal state, although there are
still buildings which are not yet open and at least one from which people
are being relocated.

DTS is back in business, but we've got a large queue, so response time may
be down for a few days.  Phone lines into the area are tough to get, so
your calls to customer satisfaction, etc., may not be answered right away.

Look for things to appear relatively stable to the outside world by early
next week for most of the company.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (10/21/89)

From article <8910191036.aa12718@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger):
> I just wondered...I have heard everything about San fran, but not much about
> San Jose, Cupertino etc area.  Was it that BAD in this area?  Eg. are all
> the interstates buckled, Stevens buckled?  Are houses standing?  If they
> are standing, is anything left inside them?
>
> I did hear that Apple was closed for 1 day, but the media seems to only let
> use know about the north east bay area.
Los Gatos was pretty hard hit.  Cupertino had quite a bit of damage, but
nobody seems hurt.  I hear that DeAnza 3 at Apple was really hit hard.

Everywhere else in Silicon Valley was largely unnafected.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (10/21/89)

Comment to message from: MMPR004@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger)

Scott,
   From what I heard my employer's development team in both Santa Clara and
Santa Rosa, both offices were in fine shape, except for papers and disks
strewn over the floor when the quake toppled over a bookshelf.  Other than
that, the only thing they noticed in both cities were broken windows.
Randy Miller
rs.miller@pro-harvest