[comp.sys.apple] Hello

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (03/21/89)

Two things:

1)  People who requested the apple2-l filelist from me and haven't heard
 back, either I didn't get your message, or you sent me a signature I
 couldn't reply to from here.  I think there were two people with
 uunet, or uucp addresses I couldn't reply to.  This  is in response
 to another request for the list I just saw go  up,  I couldn't
 send directly to that sig either.

2)  Viruses.  Checksum methods are actually pretty useless.  I have two
 associates from high school (notice I did NOT say friends) who used
 to unprotect software for fun.  They'd just cover the object code
 for the entire checksum routine over with NOP instructions.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (03/29/89)

Well I finally sent Daemon to Apple2-l, the instructions and
code are there now. (Now you can bug Chris).

So far people have requested, or I have created the following
task drivers:

A visible clock in the screen corner
A Prodos compatible clock without hardware
A keyboard buffer
An audible keyclick when a new key is pressed
Selector ability to switch between different programs
A timer routine for BASIC programs.
A modem driver for downloading in the background
(Communications was never my specialty)
A printer driver for printing a file  in the background
(This one I can handle, I just haven't gotten round to it yet)

So far that's seven tasks, under the current setup you
can have up to eight simultaneously running.
Is eight a problem?  How about 16?  24? even 64 can be done
without increasing the memory required by the program
beyond two pages.

The reason I chose not to just allow any old program to
be multitasked is because of the limits of SEI and CLI,
using SEI or CLI  in a program, without knowing how it would
affect the multitasker is begging for trouble.

In effect I exchanged some power for reliability, a necessary
precaution, considering what a rampant interrupt driver
can do.

Honestly though folks, I have to thank the Author of SHARE
a public domain multitasking program
I have his address available, should you  want it.
I learned a great deal from his code.

But his code tended to trash disk directories, hence the
caution.

any suggestions for something specific you's like,
write me a note.  Any offers to make a modem driver?
Write me a note.

Officially Daemon is Shareware, cost $30, but the official
version has not been released yet, this one is more of a
demo, since it will be easily wiped out of existance
in its current form.

*** When playing with strange task drivers, I suggest you
write protect your disks, a bad driver could easily trash
them.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,

P.S.  I help people too.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/30/89)

Please consider having DAEMON run as many as possible tasks.  I am sure that
SOMEONE will figure out a use for them - perhaps moving 'sprite' like objects
around a hires screen!

P.S.  did you ever reload your added command file to apple2-l?  The one that
you forgot to make binscii or executioner?

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (03/30/89)

In article <8903290453.AA13362@wpi>, GREYELF@WPI.BITNET writes:
> Well I finally sent Daemon to Apple2-l, the instructions and
> code are there now. (Now you can bug Chris).
>
> So far people have requested, or I have created the following
> task drivers:

> A visible clock in the screen corner
> A Prodos compatible clock without hardware
> Selector ability to switch between different programs
> A modem driver for downloading in the background
> A printer driver for printing a file  in the background

> --
> Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,

Sounds like a great program Michael, could you upload it to comp.binaries.
apple2.  I can't send mail to the apple2-l, so please send it okay

vince

demarco@CPSC.UCalgary.CA

sja@swbatl.UUCP (9080) (03/31/89)

In article <991@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) writes:
>In article <8903290453.AA13362@wpi>, GREYELF@WPI.BITNET writes:
>> Well I finally sent Daemon to Apple2-l, the instructions and
>> code are there now. (Now you can bug Chris).
>>
>> So far people have requested, or I have created the following
>> task drivers:
>
>> A visible clock in the screen corner
>> A Prodos compatible clock without hardware
>> Selector ability to switch between different programs
>> A modem driver for downloading in the background
>> A printer driver for printing a file  in the background
>
>> --
>> Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
>
>Sounds like a great program Michael, could you upload it to comp.binaries.
>apple2.  I can't send mail to the apple2-l, so please send it okay
>

>vince
>
>demarco@CPSC.UCalgary.CA

I second that!  Please post for those who don't have apple2-l access.

Thanks!

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/01/89)

What WOULD be useful would be someone collecting information about Apple
shareware, their versions, what hardware is required, etc.  Note that there
already IS (I think ) an alliance of shareware writers called Living Legends
which has a number of good products.
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)
osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)
The world's not inherited from our parents, but borrowed from our children.

belial@comhex.UUCP (Belial) (08/07/89)

Umm, I heard that apple was discontinuing the line of Apple II e's and c's.
Is this true or jsut a rumor?

synthgenius@pro-south.UUCP (Manoj Puranik) (10/18/89)

Hello.  I agree with the fact that the GS is a great machine for most home
users. Unfortunately, the computer industry seems to be leaving the home
market as it rockets forward.  I think the problem here is that technology is
evolving TOO fast, much like that of Uranium or Plutonium - once the critical
mass is achieved, we'll all be in REAL trouble.

-Synthetic Genius

UUCP: crash!pro-south!synthgenius
ARPA: crash!pro-south!synthgenius@nosc.mil
INET: synthgenius@pro-south.cts.com

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (10/21/89)

Network Comment: to #6397 by pnet01!pro-south!synthgenius@crash.cts.com

>RE:Hello.  I agree with the fact that the GS is a great machine for most home
users. Unfortunately, the computer industry seems to be leaving the home
market as it rockets forward.

The hardware may be moving faster but the software seems more or less the
same.

    Philip McDunnough     ->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
:   University of Toronto
:   [my opinions]