[comp.sys.apple] Atalk Printing Problem

cw2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Alan White) (10/23/89)

I currently have my GS attached to a large college appletalk network.  My
configuration is as follows:
    1 Meg
    GSOS 5.0
    Farallon Phonenet connector
On the network, I have had no problems accessing mac servers or using the
LaserWriter Cdev to choose a printer.  My problem arises when I attempt to
print.  When I try to print, The print manager returns error $1306.  My actual
port has been test (GOOD) by printing with mac, and my version of GSOS has
printed from another location on campus.

Does anyone have any idea of why I cannot print??

One aside, I have actually print on 3 separate occasions...Thesee were times
corresponding to relatively low network usage.  My opinion seems to lead to a
timming out of some sort, because of network load.  Has anyone else encountered
such a problem--If so does anyone have a fix...or could point me into the right
code to look at...
Basically any help would be appreciated

                                        Thanks
                                     Chris White
                                    (Carnegie Mellon)

In article <0ZEWITC00WB8E_=EMp@andrew.cmu.edu> cw2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Alan White) writes:
>I currently have my GS attached to a large college appletalk network.  My
>configuration is as follows:
>    1 Meg
>    GSOS 5.0
>    Farallon Phonenet connector
>On the network, I have had no problems accessing mac servers or using the
>LaserWriter Cdev to choose a printer.  My problem arises when I attempt to
>print.  When I try to print, The print manager returns error $1306.  My actual
>port has been test (GOOD) by printing with mac, and my version of GSOS has
>printed from another location on campus.
>
>Does anyone have any idea of why I cannot print??
>
>One aside, I have actually print on 3 separate occasions...Thesee were times
>corresponding to relatively low network usage.  My opinion seems to lead to a
>timming out of some sort, because of network load.  Has anyone else encountered
>such a problem--If so does anyone have a fix...or could point me into the right
>code to look at...
>Basically any help would be appreciated
>
>                                        Thanks
>                                     Chris White
>                                    (Carnegie Mellon)

We have seen this problem before, and if I'm right, it has to do with your
printing choices--I'll bet (and assume, for this post) that you're printing
to a LaserWriter or LaserWriter Plus, and not one of the newer LaserWriter II
printers.

As printers evolve, better designs are worked in.  One annoyance of the
"classic" LaserWriters is that when they take the sheet out of the tray and
push it through the printer and under the printing mechanism (or over it,
whatever), they lock out interrupts (what AppleTalk is based on) for a period
of *six seconds*.

This isn't long to you and me, but it's forever to an interrupt handler and to
AppleTalk.  The papOpen routines in the IIgs don't try for more than about 2.5
to 3 seconds to connect to the printer, and if they can't connect, the Print
Manager will return error $1306 ("Connection can not be established with the
LaserWriter").

This is more likely to happen when other people are printing, since the critical
time is when the paper's moving through the printer.  Unfortunately, some
applications treat each page as a separate document, requiring a new connection
to be opened with the printer while the previous page is being printed.  This
often fails.

We have not seen this happen with a LaserWriter II.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."