[comp.sys.apple] Fairness

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (10/16/89)

My god people....  Lay off Andy will you?

I am in awe of his previous accomplishments concerning P8 ShrinkIt!'s.  I
know what a bummer it is to write programs that are relatively small, but
he has written programs that took quite a bit of time and did it for FREE.
After all the work his doing with Shrinkit gs, I dont think it is unfair at
all for him to ask for a little compensation.  I dont recall anyone complaining
about what a sham ShrinkIt! was when you didnt have to pay for it.

By the same token, one must respect Andy McFadden for putting out HIS NuFX
program....  That also was no easy task, and if he wants to put it out for
free, that is his given right.

I guess my point is, if you dont feel like paying for ShrinkIt!, fine...
DONT, just dont complain about it....  Use the old one......

Im sorry if I offended anyone with this message, but im sick of all the
hippocrits who though that ShrinkIt! was the best thing since sliced bread
until the found out it might be worth a few dollars and instantly thought
Andy was some sort of highway bandit..

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         America Online:  Wilken        !
! UUCP:      ..!uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken         GEnie Mail:      S.WILKEN1     !
! BITNET:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                                                 !

blochowi@rt20.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (10/17/89)

In article <3010@ndsuvax.UUCP> nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) writes:
>My god people....  Lay off Andy will you?
>I am in awe of his previous accomplishments concerning P8 ShrinkIt!'s.  I
	Me too, basically ;)
>know what a bummer it is to write programs that are relatively small, but
>he has written programs that took quite a bit of time and did it for FREE.
	Well, pretty much...
>After all the work his doing with Shrinkit gs, I dont think it is unfair at
>all for him to ask for a little compensation.  I dont recall anyone complaining
	Me either, basically ;)
>about what a sham ShrinkIt! was when you didnt have to pay for it.
> [Kudos to Andy McFadden regarding program x, which I agree with]
>I guess my point is, if you dont feel like paying for ShrinkIt!, fine...
>DONT, just dont complain about it....  Use the old one......
	Well, see, that's not entirely possible. As of System Disk 5.0, there
are these neat new things called Resource Forks (to paraphrase Doug Gwyn "One
of the worst design botches in OS history" - at least he said something like
that), which ShrinkIt 8 can't handle. This means that programs written that
use certain new features can't be archived with ShrinkIt. I'm currently working
on a small (it'll probably end up being ~30 blocks = ~15k) utility. The only
way to distribute it at the moment would be to pack an entire disk, which would
be something of a waste. And if I did use ShrinkIt GS (tm?), then only people
that owned ShrinkIt GS would be able to unpack & use MY utility. This would
seem to needlessly restrict the number of people that would be able to use my
utility. This is, of course, an annoyance. However, if Andy added a feature
to automatically prepend an executeable auto-extractor to ShrinkIt GS
archives, or released a simple extract-everything program as FreeWare, then I
don't think I would have any complaints left. I know that Andy spent one
HELL of a lot of time and sweat on ShrinkIt, and I do think that he should be
compensated for it. Now, if ShareWare actually worked, and people actually
paid for it, then he could've released it using that route. I think I've been
vocal enough about the failings of ShareWare in the Apple // market, so I
won't ramble on further about it here.

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

            "What's up pruneface?" - Bugs Bunny in the year 2000

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/89)

     I didn't think the "Andy deserves to be paid" issue was under contention.
Sure, I agree for a programmers work he should be paid a reasonable amount
depending on the usefulness of the program.
     The issue as I understand it is if Andy has the 'right' to ask money for
it.  By right, I don't mean legal right.  Apparently, Andy Nicholas used the
NuFX routines given to him under the 'don't collect money for this' clause,
and voiced a verbal agreement to this point.
     If this is truly the case, that Andy went back on his word, then I would
be inclined NOT to pay for ShrinkIt GS.  Regardless of how good it really is,
I think the morals involved have an impact.
     Getting paid for someone else's work doesn't fall under my priorities
as far as my checking account is concerned.  If Andy N. is using his own
'unique' NuFX algorythms, my next check is filled out.

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964
I'm 17 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
   and proud of it.  If I my opinions are not those of the U of I, they're
      out of luck.  They're the ones giving away 6,000 signons a year!

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (10/20/89)

Network Comment: to #12349 by puff!rt20.cs.wisc.edu!blochowi%speedy.wisc.edu@BRL.MIL

Everyone get off Andy's back!!   Up to now ShrinkIt has been FREE.
I recall that he was saying (at AppleFest) that the GS version would not be
FREE, but that the program to extract files made by ShrinkIt GS would continue
to be FREE.   One only will have to pay money if one wants to make archives.
That seems fair, we all can still get .shk files over our modems and those who
make the .shk files pay the cost.   If they want to pass the cost along, that
is their right.   To summarize, if one doesn't like what the author is doing,
don't use the product and don't knock at him because he wants a little something
for his efforts.
(Andy please forgive and correct me if I have passed any false info.)

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (10/21/89)

In article <8910200601.AA21154@trout.nosc.mil> tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) writes:

>Network Comment: to #12349 by puff!rt20.cs.wisc.edu!blochowi%speedy.wisc.edu@BRL.MIL

>Everyone get off Andy's back!!   Up to now ShrinkIt has been FREE.
>I recall that he was saying (at AppleFest) that the GS version would not be
>FREE, but that the program to extract files made by ShrinkIt GS would continue

Okay, where is that program then?  Is it in development?  Is it already out?
Or what?  Since he sold it, does that mean he can't make a free
extractor that is basically a demo of the full version one?  What's the
scoop?!

-kareth.

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/23/89)

In article <3387@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

> Okay, where is that program then?  Is it in development?  Is it already out?
> Or what?  Since he sold it, does that mean he can't make a free
> extractor that is basically a demo of the full version one?  What's the
> scoop?!

Believe it or not, GS/ShrinkIt is still in development.  I haven't even sent
out copies to the beta-testers.  And yes, everyone is making this much of
a fuss over something that is very much vaporware. (well, not to me anyway,
I don't consider 15,000 lines vapor... ouch)

> -kareth.

andy

--
----