[comp.sys.apple] System 5.0.2

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (10/06/89)

  Hi all.

  TML systems claims that a major bug in thier compiler is caused by some
errors in TextEdit.  Specifically, they claim that if one cuts or clears more
than about 4K, bad things will happen.  I can verify that this is so.

  Does system 5.0.2 contain any changes over System 5.0 that fix this problem?
Are they telling the truth?  If so, when is this problem expected to be fixed?
If it really is this, could I fix it by merely getting a copy of the revised
TextEdit Toolset?  (I will get sys 5.02 eventually, but a trip to my local
apple dealer takes about three hours unless I am _very_ lucky.  I have to beg
rides.  :)

  Also, in many of my old TML 1.5 applications, I used statements like

  Drawstring( Concat ( Copy (' abcdef',3,2),' are letters.'));

  to draw the string "cd are letters."  These statements are not working.  I
believe this is because TML is now returning anonymous string types or some
such.  I am not really sure.  Can anyone with some experince make this work?

  To the person who wanted to make resources: I have created resource files,
but I have not yet tried to run them.  Soon as this little problem is solved, I
will let you know.

  Thanks much.

  Scott

gt0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gregory Ross Thompson) (10/19/89)

  What's keeping someone from putting 5.0.2 on comp.binaries or
Apple2.L?  Is it the size?  If not, then why not put it up there.
Some people (like me) don't have access to a dealer...

         -Greg T.

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (10/20/89)

Network Comment: to #5546 by gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu

>  What's keeping someone from putting 5.0.2 on comp.binaries or
>  Apple2.L?  Is it the size?  If not, then why not put it up there.
>  Some people (like me) don't have access to a dealer...

What keeps people from putting Apple's system Software in the
comp.binaries.apple2 group and similar mailers is simple. All of Apple
Computer Inc.'s sytem software is copyrited. It would be very hard for them to
protect said copyrite if they distributed the software in that manner.

If you want the newest System software, and you do not have access to a
dealer, then consider buying it via a mail order house. I know that Roger
Coats and Perfered Computing both carry it.

Daniel
BITNET : danield%pro-grouch.cts.com@nosc.mil  | ProLine: danield@pro-grouch
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield         | INET:danield@pro-grouch.cts.com
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield@nosc.mil| All opinions here in are MINE!!

In article <wZDTk7i00Ug7A6bEYv@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>  What's keeping someone from putting 5.0.2 on comp.binaries or
>Apple2.L?  Is it the size?  If not, then why not put it up there.
>Some people (like me) don't have access to a dealer...
>
>         -Greg T.

Mainly, the fact that Apple's system software is not shareware or freeware but
copyrighted software that Apple makes available to its customers through
dealers, CPU packages and electronic licensing agreements.

The software can be electronically licensed, but the license agreement requires
that all who access it electronically agree to certain terms and conditions,
and that the licensee (the electronic service) have the name and address of
everyone who receives the software.

(Did I use the word "electronic" enough for a first post in three months?)
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

On Thu, 19 Oct 89 15:14:50 CDT you said:
>  What's keeping someone from putting 5.0.2 on comp.binaries or
>Apple2.L?  Is it the size?  If not, then why not put it up there.
>Some people (like me) don't have access to a dealer...

The size IS a problem, but copyright is a bigger one.  Apple wants to make
the system software as readily available to THEIR customers (owners of
genuine Apple IIgs's :-)   However, if system software is archived in
a public access library with Apple's consent, then it's subject to adoption
by 'Orange', 'Pineapple' and assorted other vendors who would benefit from
Apple's investment without making any effort themselves.

Your local user group (even if annual dues are only a dollar) is legally
private, and you have to subscribe (and pay a commercial fee for) Genie and
Compu$erve (which by the way consider ANYTHING regardless of origin which
you download from them 'copyright' <in some sense, I'm not a lawyer> meaning
you are supposed to pass copyies of even freeware downloaded from a service
to nonsubscribers of that service -- I know how can you distinguish a copy
of BLU from APPLE2-L from one from Genie, but the legalese makes it possible
for user groups and commercial services to license system software and offer it
to their members or subscribers without compromising Apple's legal rights).

APPLE2-L and the 'ftp' libraries are open to all (I think it's possible to
retrieve files from a compu$erve account or MCImail as well as from any
Internet or BITNET site and *some* UUCP hosts); consequently, we cannot
offer system software now or in the foreseeable future.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>
   co-owner (with Chris Chung <Chris@BrownVM.Brown.Edu>) of APPLE2-L

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com (Bob Sherman) (10/22/89)

Comment to message from: mattd@apple.com (Matt Deatherage)

Well, it is sure good to see once again a message from Matt Deatherage...

It may have only been 3 months, but it seems a lot longer......

W E L C O M E   B A C K    M A T T !!!!

May it be a loooong time before your next sabatical from the net   ;-)

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (10/23/89)

Network Comment: to #1463 by SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

I am not sure, but I am really confused by what APPEARS to be missing words
in you msg concerning apple2-l vs compuserve vs Genie.  Let me clarify the
situation with respect to Compuserve.  Anything that you download from there
can be shared with others.  What one is NOT permitted to do is to download the
'entire' library (or significant portion of it) and then make it available as
'the Compuserve software' or other words to this effect.  In other words,
Compuserve maintains a copyright on the COMPILATION of the programs on their
service.  But any user is legally permitted to share particular files that
they have downloaded.  BUT, as is the case of downloads from ANY service, the
user should have the discretion to at least read the doc provided with a
download and see if the author has prohibited sharing of the program.  Most do
not - some do.  Authors, please be sure and state whether folks can upload
your program to other sources or not - which ever you wish.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet