[comp.sys.apple] Generic Macro Programs

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (10/23/89)

>As an aside - if you folks out there at BB really want to make the word "Ultra"
>mean something in the name of the program, figure out how to "divorce" it from
>AppleWorks and make it a stand-alone keystroke recorder/player, available for
>use with any program.  That kind of capability is readily available on the two
>machines that are usually the object of attack in this group.  I would wager a
>substantial (for me) sum of money that a tremendous number of people would find
>a product like that to be an extremely worthwhile purchase.  (I suspect it
>would also be quite difficult, if not impossible, to implement.)

Well, I don't know about the difficulty in implementing this beast, but
there are at least _two_ generic macro programs for the GS, the first is
MacroMate from (I think) Robert Wagner Publishing, and the second is
Diversikey from DSR, Inc.  I haven't used the first one, but I use the
second one all the time, and it is one of the reasons I haven't gotten a
10Mhz Rocket Chip and gone back to my //e.  Bill Basham is working on an
update to the program right now, and I'm waiting to post until he's
finished it.  Diversikey is shareware, costs $45, and is well worth every
penny.

Diversikey can record keystrokes, etc., and has a number of other
capabilities, including the ability to monitor memory locations (useful in
writing more advanced, program-like macros).  It's a really good program.

Insert standard disclaimer about not having anything to do with the program
except using it here.

>-Rich Sims-
>
>UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
>ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
>INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet: Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer: These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Albion
College.

blochowi@rt4.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (10/24/89)

In article <8910230852.aa13490@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517) writes:
>> [Some stuff about separating UltraMacros from the TimeOut stuff and making
>>  it a general purpose recording/playback thingie]
> [Comments about MacroMate and DiversiKey]

	One problem with both of those programs - they require either the
Apple or Option key (depending on the program) to be held down before you
press a key. This makes those neat keys I have on my extended keyboard
absolutely useless (although the feel of the keyboard is nicer, and there are
other reasons for owning it).

	Basically, they both seem to install a HeartBeat handler, monitor the
keyboard modifiers register, and when the trigger key goes down, it sits there
and either waits for the trigger to go back up (in which case it does nothing)
or for the user to press a key (in which case it stuffs the input buffer).

	Can someone from Apple comment on how the keyboard uController
auto-polls the keyboard? And how that could be simulated in software running
on the //gs? It'd be great to have the function keys, pg up/dn, etc. work,
and if those worked, it'd be real easy to program the rest of the keys...

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP