[comp.sys.apple] Bird's Better 'Bye'

griffin@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Prof. A. Griffin) (10/23/89)

Disclaimer: I am NOT professor Griffin. If you use "F", please check the
attribution against the signature.

   A question for some of the Apple programmers out there: is there any
chance that Apple can get together with Alan Bird of Beagle Brothers to
make "Bird's Better 'Bye'" the standard ProDOS quit routine? I don't boot
ProDOS8 disks from the GS/OS 5.0 version of ProDOS8 because I much prefer
Mr. Bird's quit routine.
   As it is, every time there is an update of ProDOS8, I have to buy
another Applied Engineering peripheral to get Bird's Better 'Bye'
included. :-)
--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  |  "Scotty..now _would_
 cneufeld@pro-generic.pnet01.crash               | be a good time!"

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct23.041020.25027@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> griffin@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>   As it is, every time there is an update of ProDOS8, I have to buy
>another Applied Engineering peripheral to get Bird's Better 'Bye'
>included. :-)

There is, of course, a way of hacking Bird's Better Bye out of ProDOS
and patching it into any new version of ProDOS.  "All" you have to do is
locate the QUIT code in the version of ProDOS you're using (with BBB),
and the standard code in the new version.  Then you can BLOAD/BSAVE or
whatever) the pieces and make a new version, complete with BBB.

It works...I've done it several times; I just don't have the addresses
on hand right now.  If people are interested, feel free to mail me.

Another solution is to use the QUIT routines that install themselves
upon running a SYS file.  SQUIRT (and I presume SQUIRT-16) do this.
Make SQUIRT.SYSTEM the first system file, and it runs, moves itself into
memory, and runs the next .SYSTEM file.  This kind of solution requires
NO effort when you change ProDOS versions.

...but I like BBB better. :-)

I suppose a great solution would be a patcher program, with the
addresses of the routines built in.  I can also see a patch for BBB that
makes it work like SQUIRT.  Neither of those would be too hard to piece
together, if I had the time.  Maybe later, if there's demand at all.

>Disclaimer: I am NOT professor Griffin. If you use "F", please check the
>attribution against the signature.
>
> Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  |  "Scotty..now _would_
> cneufeld@pro-generic.pnet01.crash               | be a good time!"
> griffin@helios.physics.utoronto.ca              |   - Pavel Chekov
> "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity" |

Scott Blackman, 155 Forbes College  /  Princeton University
I have just discovered a proof of  /  blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fermat's Last Theorem!  But it's  /  blackman@phoenix.UUCP, blackman@PUCC
too long to fit in this .sig...  /  ...allegra!princeton!(phoenix|pucc)!blackman

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct23.041020.25027@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, Christopher Neufeld

>    A question for some of the Apple programmers out there: is there any
> chance that Apple can get together with Alan Bird of Beagle Brothers to
> make "Bird's Better 'Bye'" the standard ProDOS quit routine? I don't boot
> ProDOS8 disks from the GS/OS 5.0 version of ProDOS8 because I much prefer
> Mr. Bird's quit routine.
>    As it is, every time there is an update of ProDOS8, I have to buy
> another Applied Engineering peripheral to get Bird's Better 'Bye'
> included. :-)
> --
>  Christopher Neufeld

With a little help from BASIC.SYSTEM, you can have "Bird's Better 'Bye'" in
any version of ProDOS8 you wish.

The ProDOS quit code is only 768 bytes long (three 256 byte pages).  So far
Apple has always alloted three full pages in the ProDOS file for this code,
and it has always been stored on page boundrys. (This could change in the
future, but is correct so far).

If you have BBB enhanced ProDOS8 file, do the following.

#with the BBB enhanced ProDOS file:
BLOAD PRODOS,TSYS,A$2000
BSAVE BBB,A$xxxx,L$0300

#with the ProDOS file to be enhanced:
BLOAD PRODOS,TSYS,A$2000
BLOAD BBB,A$xxxx
BSAVE PRODOS,TSYS,A$2000,Eyyyyy

The variable 'yyyyy' is the decimal value for the length of ProDOS as specified
by doing a CATALOG.  The variable 'xxxx' is dependent upon the verion of ProDOS8
you are using and should be taken from the below table.

ProDOS8		xxxx
1.1.1		$5700
1.2		$5900
        thru
1.7		$5900
1.8		$5A00

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"