[comp.sys.apple] New upstart computer company makes an announcement!

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (10/20/89)

I thought you all would get a kick out this one. Copied without
permission...actually, I don't *need* permission - the original
copyright has long since expired...Ahh, the history there is to be
found!

You've just run out of excuses for not owning a personal computer.

Clear the kitchen table. Bring in the color TV. Plug in your new Apple
II*, and connect any standard cassette recorder/player. Now you're
ready for an evening of discovery in the new world of personal
computers.

Only Apple II makes it that easy. It's a complete, ready to use
computer, not a kit. At $1298, it includes video graphics in 15
colors. It includes 8K bytes ROM and 4K bytes RAM - easily expandable
to 48K bytes using 16K RAMs (see box). But you don't even need to know
a RAM from a ROM to use and enjoy Apple II. For example, it's the
first personal computer with a fast version of BASIC permanently
stored in ROM. That means you can begin writing your own programs the
first evening, even if you've had no previous computer experience.

The familiar typewriter-style keyboard makes it easy to enter your
instructions. And your programs can be stored on - and retrieved from
- audio cassettes, using the built-in cassette interface, so you can
swap with other Apple II users.

You can create dazzling color displays using the unique color graphics
commands in Apple BASIC. Write simple programs to display
kaleidoscopic designs. Or invent your own games. Games like PONG -
using the game paddles supplied. You can even add the dimension of
sound through Apple II's built-in speaker.

But Apple II is more than an advanced, infinitely flexible game
machine. Use it to teach your children arithmatic, or spelling for
instance. Apple II make learning fun. Apple II can also manage
household finances, chart the stock market or index recipes, record
collections, even control your home environment.

Right now, we're finalizing a peripheral board that will slide into
one of the eight available motherboard slots and enable you to
compose music electronically. And there will be other peripherals
announced soon to allow your Apple II to talk with another Apple II,
or to interface to a printer or teletype.

Apple II is designed to grow with youas your skill and experience with
computers grows. It is the state of the art in personal computing
today, and compatible upgrades and peripherals will keep Apple II in
the forefront for years to come.

Write us today for our detailed brochure and order form. Or call us
for the name and address of the Apple II dealer nearest you. (408)
996-1010. Apple Computer Inc., 20863 Stevens Creek Boulevard, Bldg.
B3-C, Cupertino, California 95014.

(The box)

Apple II (tm) is a completely self-contained computer system with
BASIC in ROM, color graphics, ASCII keyboard, lightweight, efficient
switching power supply and molded case. It is supplied with BASIC in
ROM, up to 48K bytes of RAM, and with cassette tape, video and game
I/O interfaces built-in. Also included are two game paddles and a
demonstration cassette.

Specifications
* Microprocessor: 6502 (1MHz).
* Video Display: Memory mapped, 5 modes - all Software-selectable:
	* Text - 40 characters/line, 24 lines upper case.
	* Color graphics - 40h x 48v, 15 colors
	* High-resolution graphics - 280h x 192v; black, white, violet,
	  green (12k minimum required)
	* both graphics modes can be selected to include 4 lines of text at
	  the bottom of the display area.
	* Completely transparent memory access. All color generation done
	  digitally.
* Memory: up to 48K bytes on-board RAM (4K supplied)
	* Uses either 4K or new 16K dynamic memory chips
	* Up to 12K ROM (8K supplied)
* Software
	* Fast extended integer BASIC in ROM with color graphics commands
	* Extensive monitor in ROM
* I/O
	* 1500 bps cassette interface
	* 8-slot motherboard
	* Apple game I/O connector
	* ASCII keyboard port
	* Speaker
	* Composite video output

Apple I is also available in board-only for for the do-it-yourself
hobbyist. Has all of the features of the Apple II system, but does not
include case, keyboard, power supply or game paddles. $598.
---
PONG is a trademark of Atari Inc.
*Apple II plugs intoany standard TV using an inexpensive modulator (not
supplied).

Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/22/89)

In article <15248@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>...actually, I don't *need* permission - the original
>copyright has long since expired...

How do you figure THAT?

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (10/22/89)

In article <11377@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <15248@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>>...actually, I don't *need* permission - the original
>>copyright has long since expired...
>
>How do you figure THAT?

  Copyrights expire automatically after 7 years, I belive, unless re-applied
for. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong! (I'm not a c-right expert by any means).

jawaid bazyar    jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  Junior/Computer Engineering UIUC

Seepage from deep,black,brittle experiments which failed and transformations too
hard to find. "I was overcome and turned to Red." Duster's dust became the sale.
Lucifer the light. A restless motion came to move and then subside. In endless
knocking at the door- it's time. TYRANNY & MVTATION. TYRANNY & MVTATION.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (10/23/89)

Network Comment: to #12000 by gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!uxa.cso.uiuc.edu!jb10320@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

> Copyrights expire automatically after 7 years, I belive,
> unless re-applied for. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong! (I'm not
> a c-right expert by any means).

I think you're mistaken. I believe it's 75 years (for companies) and
Lifetime + 50 years for individuals..  Can anybody confirm or deny
those figures??

Mark Munz

rs.miller@pro-sol.cts.com (Randy Miller) (10/23/89)

Network Comment: to #12606 by mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com

Take it from a librarian (hint, hint)... Current copyright law says that
copyright is good only for 26 years, being renewable for another 26 year after
that.  From there, the work in question could bloody well go into the PD.  (At
least this is my recollection of how this works.  I haven't done anything with
copyright since the first time around for my MLS).
Randy Miller
rs.miller@pro-sol (soon to be a graduate student in library science [for the
second time] in Bucky Badger's backyard, up in the Land of Cheese. (Also known
as the University of Wisconsin at Madison).

lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) (10/24/89)

Since everyone's been talking about this, I thought it was about time to
find the circular that the copyright office distributes with the
copyright application.  Here it is (I assume I'm allowed to copy this :-)

		HOW LONG COPYRIGHT PROTECTION ENDURES

Works Originally Copyrighted on or After January 1, 1978

A work that is created on or after January 1, 1978 is automatically
protected from teh moment of its dreation and is ordinarily given a term
enduring for hte author's life, plus an additional 50 years after the
author's death.  In the case of a "joint work prepared by two or more
authors that did not work for hire," the term lasts for 50 years after
the last surviving author's death.  For works made for hire and for
anonymous and pseudonymous works, the duration of copyright will be 75
years from publication or 100 years from creation, whichever is shorter.

Works that were created, but not published or registered fo copyright
before January 1, 1978, have been automatically brought under the statute
and are nowgiven Federal copyright protection.  The duration of
caopyright in these works will generally be computed in the same way as
for works created on or after Jan. 1, 1978: the life-plus-50 or 75/100
year terms will apply to them as well.  The law provides that in no case
will the term of copyright for works in this category expire before Dec.
31, 2002, and for works published on or before Dec. 31, 2002, the term of
copyright will not expire before Dec 31, 2027.

Works Copyrghted Before January 1, 1978

Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on the
date a work was published or on the date of regstration if the work was
registered in unpublished form.  In either case, the copyright endured
for a first term of 28 years from the date it was secured.  During the
last year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal.  The
current copyright law has extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years
for copyrights that were subsisting on January 1, 1978, making these
works eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years. However, the
copyright must be renewed to receive the 47-year period of added
protection.

So, I guess the posting that started all of this copyright infringement
:-)
--
lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu / CLARKE'S THIRD LAW:
lmo3_ss@db1.cc.rochester.edu   / Any sufficiently advanced technology is

kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) (10/24/89)

  Shoud we consider the announcement on the AppleII as an Apple
  press release?

  All the current Apple press release are available via ftp from Apple
  (130.43.2.2).  Apple want people to read them (even if they are copy
  righted), what's wrong posting to the net?

  Dear netters, how about some discussion on how fast the technology is
  moving instead of copyrights?

Andy
Internet: kuo@tramp.Colorado.Edu