[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt program

jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) (10/17/89)

        Howzit!

        Just another praise for Andy Nicholas and his ShrinkIt.  Once
upon a time, I archived some of my files (for backup purposes) using
PBH, Binary II, and ProPacker.  The completed archives took up twenty
3.5 inch diskettes.
        Then there was ShrinkIt.  The same files now take up nine (yes
9!) disks and are in only one format!  I also like the 'user
friendly-ness' of his program.  Mahalo Andy!  And yes people, I
probably (very probably) will buy his GS version as soon as I
re-locate to the east-coast.
                                       Latas, Jack
Proline: jlai@pro-sol                   |"A ship in the harbor is safe, but   |
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!jlai         | that's not what ships were made for"|
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!jlai@nosc.mil|      -- Admiral Grace Hooper --     |
INET: jlai@pro-sol.cts.com              |   'You actually believe me? HA!'    |
------------ You think <insert language here> is bad, try NELIAC! -------------

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (10/19/89)

Network Comment: to #12367 by jlai@pro-sol.cts.com

>        Just another praise for Andy Nicholas and his ShrinkIt.  Once
>upon a time, I archived some of my files (for backup purposes) using
>PBH, Binary II, and ProPacker.  The completed archives took up twenty
>3.5 inch diskettes.
>        Then there was ShrinkIt.  The same files now take up nine (yes
>9!) disks and are in only one format!  I also like the 'user
>friendly-ness' of his program.  Mahalo Andy!  And yes people, I
>probably (very probably) will buy his GS version as soon as I
>re-locate to the east-coast.
>                                       Latas, Jack

Great! But, can it backup a hard disk and split files across diskettes?  As
far
as ShrinkIt 2.02 goes, I haven't found a way.  My backup program is the one
found in ProSEL.  Its nice and fast, but uses no compression to save disk
space.  If ShrinkIt GS can serve the double duty of being a good backup
program, I'd pay big bucks for it!

Andy, you listening?
                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/23/89)

In article <8910190519.AA13143@trout.nosc.mil>, lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com
(Lawrence Haider) writes:

> Great! But, can it backup a hard disk and split files across diskettes?  As
> far as ShrinkIt 2.02 goes, I haven't found a way.
[...]
> If ShrinkIt GS can serve the double duty of being a good backup
> program, I'd pay big bucks for it!

Sorry, but ShrinkIt/GS will probably never have a feature like that, although
the possibility is intriguing.  I'm simply too loaded up with a ton of
work to start working on something like a backup program.  The best advice
I can offer you is to use Glen Bredon's ProSel-16 backup program.  It offers
selective extraction (like shrinkit), error correction (unlike shrinkit),
incremental backup, and works with resource forks.

> Andy, you listening?

yup. :-)

andy

--
----
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (10/26/89)

Andy,

I don't know how you have any time to program at all considering all
the time you spend responding to everyone's responses :-)

---------
Just say, "YO!"
                 UnestJ@uncvx1.bitnet  <tamara>