[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS kermit?

djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **) (10/23/89)

Does anyone know if Kermit has ever been released under ProDOS?  The only
versions I've been able to find are DOS 3.3 (yikes!) and my Unidisks and hd
aren't really available under 3.3

- Doug Hill   (djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu)

On Mon, 23 Oct 89 10:51:35 GMT you said:
>Does anyone know if Kermit has ever been released under ProDOS?  The only
>versions I've been able to find are DOS 3.3 (yikes!) and my Unidisks and hd
>aren't really available under 3.3

Lessee, I belive Kermit-65 has run under ProDOS as well as DOS 3.3 since
version 3.81, or was it 3.83?  Just copy the KERMIT385 'B' file and
KERMIT.INIT from DOS 3.3 to ProDOS and lo and behold (just like the docs
say by the way -- READING A LOST ART!).

The beta version of Kermit Version 3.86 on APPLE2-L contains versions for
unpacking in EITHER ProDOS or DOS 3.3.

According to Shoe (in the comics) FAX is just a fad too ("Remember the
telegram!?").

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/24/89)

In article <1107@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **) writes:
> Does anyone know if Kermit has ever been released under ProDOS?  The only
> versions I've been able to find are DOS 3.3 (yikes!) and my Unidisks and hd
> aren't really available under 3.3
>
> - Doug Hill   (djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu)

Most versions of Kermit for the Apple // series do work under ProDOS.  The only
limitation so far has been the need to build the program under DOS 3.3.  Once
built under DOS 3.3, the executable can be copied to ProDOS and run.

My understanding of the newest release of Kermit (v3.86) will permit building
under ProDOS.  If just building the executable is your problem, this may be
you solution.

Has anybody seen, or is using Kermit 3.86.  Can we get the build files posted
to comp.binaries.apple2

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

ptrepan1@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (pat trepanier) (10/25/89)

In article <948@friar-taac.UUCP>, matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:
> In article <1107@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **) writes:
> > Does anyone know if Kermit has ever been released under ProDOS?  The only
> > versions I've been able to find are DOS 3.3 (yikes!) and my Unidisks and hd
> > aren't really available under 3.3
> >
> My understanding of the newest release of Kermit (v3.86) will permit building
> under ProDOS.  If just building the executable is your problem, this may be
> you solution.
>
> Has anybody seen, or is using Kermit 3.86.  Can we get the build files posted
> to comp.binaries.apple2

You  can get a copy of kermit 3.86 from shark.nosc.mil that is prodos and I do
believe is in binscii format and packed. I got it a while back and I didn't have
to put in on the DOS disk and then exec it.

To get kermit 3.86 you have to login anonymous then "cd ker*mit." you must,
include the * and the ., then get appaaanew for all the files that are needed
and the files that they have for the apple. The server also has the docs
for kermit in postscript and can be printed on any postscript preinter, our
school uses laserwriters so I just printed them out at school. If you have
a laserprinter at school you can print postscript by lp filename.

	Pat trepanier
	ptrepan1@ub.d.umn.edu

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/26/89)

In article <2938@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> ptrepan1@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (pat trepanier) writes:
|In article <948@friar-taac.UUCP>, matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:
|>
|> Has anybody seen, or is using Kermit 3.86.  Can we get the build files posted
|> to comp.binaries.apple2
|>
|You  can get a copy of kermit 3.86 from shark.nosc.mil that is prodos and I do
|believe is in binscii format and packed. I got it a while back and I didn't have
|to put in on the DOS disk and then exec it.
|
|To get kermit 3.86 you have to login anonymous then "cd ker*mit." you must,
|
|	Pat trepanier
|	ptrepan1@ub.d.umn.edu

I'm included in the list of people that don't have access to anonymous uucp or ftp.
Since revisions of the Kermit software is of general interest to everybody, someone
want to post it to 'comp.binaries.apple', or e-mail it to me and I'll post it.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"
uucp:  sun!mstier or mcnc!rti!sunpix!matthew |
phone: (919) 469-8300 fax: (919) 460-8355    |

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (David C. Troup - Skunk Works : 2600hz) (10/26/89)

	someone wanna post Kermit to binaries? Thanks.

--
"We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, knowin' that ain't allowed"__         _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat
    _______)(______   |         |dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu : mail