[comp.sys.apple] Shrinkit GS status

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/24/89)

I nabbed this off of the Apple Echo on Fidonet.  Any comments or further
information from the Usenet community.

|Msg#:35780 *Apple Echo*
|10/23/89 06:20:00
|From: HANK WESSEL
|  To: ALL
|Subj: SHRINKIT FOR THE GS
|
|Andy says that ShrinkIt for the GS will be FREEWARE.
|
|Andy posted a long message on GEnie early this morning which
|details a dispute between Andy and Kent Dickey (author of the
|Type-I LZW algorithm) and announces that Andy now intends to
|make ShrinkIt for the GS freeware.
|
|I don't presume to understand just what is going on here, but I
|am willing to bet that we have not heard the end of this story.
|
|I'll also bet there will be no winners here...not Andy, not Kent,
|not L&L productions, and not the Apple // community.

|-Hank

|--- TMail v1.12c & NoOrigin 3.6a
--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/25/89)

In article <945@greens.UUCP>, matthew@sunpix.UUCP
(Sun Visualization Products) writes:

> I nabbed this off of the Apple Echo on Fidonet.  Any comments or further
> information from the Usenet community.

> |Andy says that ShrinkIt for the GS will be FREEWARE.

[.. stuff deleted ..]

I also posted that message to comp.sys.apple -- if it hasn't shown up at
your sit yet, it should.  If it hasn't, then send me email and I'll mail
you a copy of it.  Whenever my compuserve account gets re-activated (long
story), I'll post it on compuserve also.

You might also think that there are "no winners" in this situation, but
I don't consider myself to have "lost" -- if I'd really have "lost" then
I'd probably more than consider not finishing the program and just moving
on to something else I like a lot better... but I like working on ShrinkIt,
and I like Apple II's, and this isn't going to change that.

So I made it freeware?  So my next product will almost certainly be commercial?
So I'm in hock up to my ears for products I've promised and can't deliver...
So I'm an idealist...

Sigh, it's going to be one of those days... weeks.. maybe years... :-)

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                                 uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/25/89)

> I also posted that message to comp.sys.apple -- if it hasn't shown up at
> your sit yet, it should.

Er, I meant "site"  :-)

I had a list of 15 different major things I have to do to GS/ShrinkIt to make
it "releasable" on my backboard in my lab here at college... I'm down to
9 items so far...

Someone asked when this thing was going to be released -- I think my usual
response will be something like "2 or so weeks after I send copies of it to
the beta-testers" -- I haven't even done that yet, so don't worry about it.
:-)

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                                 uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit
Moravian College                       GEnie: shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA  18018          America Online: shrinkit        CIS: 70007,3141

UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Joe Carlin) (10/26/89)

It's a shame there are users out there who still think they can buy a porsche
at honda prices.  I think ShrinkIt for the //e is well worth the money.  I
realize the compression routines are only a small portion of the program, but
if nothing else, it's the actual operation of the program that made it catch
on:  it's easy to select and choose files (lightyears beyond BLU), it's speed
is blinding enough to easy compress the largest 3.5" disks, and it's menu
system is second to none.  As soon as GS/ShrinkIt it is in my hands, my check
will be in the mail.

BTW - Attach comments to archives?  AWESOME!

Joe

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/26/89)

In article <8910252152.aa28948@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Joe Carlin) writes:

> BTW - Attach comments to archives?  AWESOME!

ShrinkIt 3.0 will be able to (read:doesn't yet) attach a single comment to
the first member record of an archive of 200 bytes.  This can be later
edited by GS/ShrinkIt.  You can never resize the comment area, but in
GS/ShrinkIt you can define the size of the comment area (200,400,800,1000
bytes) and to which files comment areas will be attached when the
archive is originally built.  The same goes for added files or disks...
you can attach a comment to only the first file/disk added or all of
the files added.  So, with shrinkit 3.0 and gs/shrinkit, the first member
record of an archive will ALWAYS have a comment attached to it that
you can assume will be ther... unless... someone has sorted the archive.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit