[comp.sys.apple] GIF files

TMURPHY@WPI.BITNET (06/22/88)

Has anyone been able to display the gif files sent by APPLE2-L on anything
but an Apple?  I can't seem to, althougt

the files work fine on the Apple with IIGIF.

Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
                              Mechanical Engineering Dept.
BITNET:   TMURPHY@WPI
Arpanet:  tmurphy%wpi.bitnet@talcott.harvard.edu

pmwenzel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Peter M. Wenzel) (06/22/88)

In article <8806211843.AA27175@wpi.local> TMURPHY@WPI.BITNET writes:

>Has anyone been able to display the gif files sent by APPLE2-L on anything
>but an Apple?  I can't seem to, although
>the files work fine on the Apple with IIGIF.

I was able to display them on IBM PC/XT/AT and PS/2's with a number of
different display programs.  I used Kermit on both ends to transfer them
to an IBM, setting the file type to binary.  No problems at all.  I'm
sure this same procedure works for other systems as well.

>Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
>                              Mechanical Engineering Dept.
>BITNET:   TMURPHY@WPI
>Arpanet:  tmurphy%wpi.bitnet@talcott.harvard.edu

           ___
        __/   \   _
       / _     \_/ \__^__/\_/-\               Pete Wenzel
      | | |     ---PMWenzel---->              Caltech 1-60
      | |_|     ==============/               Pasadena, CA 91126
       \__     / @CITRomeo.Bitnet             (818) 577-9005
          \___/ @Juliet.Caltech.Edu

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (08/01/88)

I have been using IIGIF on my //C with surprisingly nice results. What other
machines will the graphic files work on and what programs are required to use
them. I just got a MAC+ on extended load from the local dealer and was wonderin
g if there was a way to transport graphics between it and my //C.
Also, I have a demo version of Diversi-Tune for the GS. Since I don't have a
GS is there any  way that I can convert the PRODOS16 files on my //C into a form
Thanks,
Bob Church  CS656@OUACCVMB
P.S. Judging from some of the responssa I have recieved about my last posting
"a new menace" I feel, once again, the need to point out what I would think wou
ld be the obvious. It was intended as a bit of humor. This is starting to seem
impossible in the world of terminals.

taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Taro Nobusawa) (08/03/88)

In article <8808010938.aa26566@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>I have been using IIGIF on my //C with surprisingly nice results. What other
>machines will the graphic files work on and what programs are required to use
>them. I just got a MAC+ on extended load from the local dealer and was wonderin
>g if there was a way to transport graphics between it and my //C.

GIF is a non-computer specific graphics format.  Any computer if it has GIF
conversion software can display GIF pictures.  The quality of the picture
depends on the capabilities of the computer, but usually a acceptable picture
can be made from GIF files.  I know the Mac has a GIF viewer, freind of mine
has one.  I have the IIGS GIF viewer.  Pretty sure there are viewers for the
Amiga and Atari ST.  If you can get the pictures into GIF format, you can
transport them to any machine that has software to do the conversion.

>Also, I have a demo version of Diversi-Tune for the GS. Since I don't have a
>GS is there any  way that I can convert the PRODOS16 files on my //C into a form

Sorry, I don't think you'll be able to run this on a IIc.  I'm not sure what
your question exacly is, since it seems to have gotten lost somewhere.
--
"Mad as a hen wetter...goodbye and good day.   THPPT" -Opus
Taro Nobusawa  		taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/20/89)

DOUG@ECL.PSU.EDU writes:
>Can anyone tell me exactly what a GIF file is for? I downloaded one and
>unarchived it, and now it's just sitting on my disk in binary doing
>nothing.. something tells me that it won't be very useful for me.

GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format (or something close to that).  This
is a file format designed for the universal exchange of computer graphics
images between different machines with different display capabilities.  If I
created a picture on my Apple IIGS, and wanted to share it with a friend who
had an Amiga, I could use a GIF converter (such as SHR Convert) to translate
the Apple IIGS picture format into GIF.  My friend would then use a GIF reader
on his Amiga to view the picture!

Keep in mind, though, that some images don't "GIF" very well across different
machine types.  A GIF file contains information about the picture's dimensions
and color use.  For example, you download a GIF picture that was originally
created on an IBM PC.  The original picture has 256 different colors out of a
possible 262,144 color map, with a screen size of 320x200 pixels.  All this
information was encoded into the GIF file you just downloaded.  Attempting to
deGIF this file onto the Apple IIe double hires screen (16 colors and
effective 280x192 COLOR resolution) will probably not be worth the effort.

For the Apple IIGS, there is a program called SHR Convert which will handle
GIF files plus a myriad of other computer file formats.  It is availiable from
35.1.1.43 (or it was).  There is a file there called UT.IIGIF that is a GIF
converter for non-GSs, but I don't remember if it handles double hires or
LAAARRGE bitmaps.  Also, you might want to check out the !INDEX file,
which defines all those file prefixes.

| <<<<<(((((( DAVE SEAH ))))))>>>>> |	Internet:  dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
| Worcester  Polytechnic  Institute |	Bitnet:	   dseah@wpi.bitnet
| Computer Engineering Class of '90 |	ALink PE:  Omnitreant

yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) (10/25/89)

I would like to download some gif pictures on some FTP sites but I am
unable to do so. I downloaded the files onto the UNIX system and then
I sent the files via Kermit to my GS. I then tried SHRConvert but it
either responded by saying that the file was too long or it responded
by going into some kind of endless loop. I also tried stripping line
feeds but that didn't help.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong. If anyone can help me, please
leave a message. Thanks
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   |||||||The Korean from Hong Kong.||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|UUCP    : rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4  ||||||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||||
|_______________________________________|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

In article <8910250334.AA01954@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) writes:

>I would like to download some gif pictures on some FTP sites but I am
>unable to do so. I downloaded the files onto the UNIX system and then
>I sent the files via Kermit to my GS. I then tried SHRConvert but it
>either responded by saying that the file was too long or it responded
>by going into some kind of endless loop. I also tried stripping line
>feeds but that didn't help.
>
>Obviously, I am doing something wrong. If anyone can help me, please
>leave a message. Thanks

	The only idea I have is that FTP might not be sending them in
binary mode. You must tell FTP to send them in binary for them to work.
(Type "binary" at the prompt). I've downloaded them ASCII, they don't work,
and then if I do them binary it works.. (Downloading them ASCII was
an accident).

	By the way, is there any work on a FASTER GIF converter? Either
a new version of SHRConvert or a wholly different program? That's one of the
few speed related things that I really really complain about. Sure speeding
up everything else would be good to but that takes forever. I realize that
I COULD NOT write a faster one either, so....

---
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (10/27/89)

In article <8910250334.AA01954@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) writes:

|I would like to download some gif pictures on some FTP sites but I am
|unable to do so. I downloaded the files onto the UNIX system and then
|I sent the files via Kermit to my GS. I then tried SHRConvert but it
|either responded by saying that the file was too long or it responded
|by going into some kind of endless loop. I also tried stripping line
|feeds but that didn't help.

GIF files are BINARY - make sure you have eight-bit-quoting ON on both
machines, or use XMODEM protocol (Kermit 3.83 and up have XMODEM
protocol as an option)...
Also, if yo have the current version of SHRConvert, APPLE-mouse_click
should recover what was converted - if it looks wavy and distorted, you
have accidentally uploaded in 7-bit mode...

good luck!
--
Les Barstow                              **All of the paths work!!!!**
LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET  lmb7421@{ultb,vaxa,vaxb,vaxc,vaxd}.isc.rit.edu