[comp.sys.apple] Speed....

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (07/27/88)

No, comparing 65816's and 68000's is not like comparing apples and oranges.

First, the 68000 is not a 32-bit processor. It does have 32-bit registers, but
not a 32-bit address bus. Notice that even Apple doesn't call it a 32-bit
processor anymore, now that the Mac II sports a "true" 32-bit 68020. They only
called it a 32-bit processor in '84 to suite their needs. (Remember when IBM
was trying to pass the 8088 as a "16-bit" processor? Same thing.)

Second, a 65816 running at 7.4 Mhz is faster than a 68000 running at the same
speed. The 6500 series is more efficient than Intel or Motorolla processors.
The other processors waste clock cycles; the 6500 processors don't.

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (10/18/89)

One question that's bothered me for a while.  The TransWarp IIe has a 65C02, or
65802 on it, right?  And it make yer 'puter buzz along at what, 3.6Mhz?  Then
you've get yer nifty little Zip and Rocket chips that replace the 65C02 on a
IIe (or IIc, for arguements sake).  So what happens if you put a 10Mhz Rocket
Chip on a TransWarp?
Just wondering....

Osiris

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/20/89)

In article <8910180053.aa04251@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) writes:
|One question that's bothered me for a while.  The TransWarp IIe has a 65C02, or
|65802 on it, right?  And it make yer 'puter buzz along at what, 3.6Mhz?  Then
|you've get yer nifty little Zip and Rocket chips that replace the 65C02 on a
|IIe (or IIc, for arguements sake).  So what happens if you put a 10Mhz Rocket
|Chip on a TransWarp?
|Just wondering....
|
|Osiris

Proably alot of confuse integrated circuits.  Has anybody ever tried this?  The
big questions are:

	1) Can the Zip or Rocket chips sync to a 3.6mhz sync clock.

	2) How much added performance is there accessing main memory at 3.6mhz
	   verses 1mhz.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

rbannon@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Roy Bannon) (10/21/89)

I am having a little trouble writing an NDA using the taskmaster to track
the controls.  The window is a resource created with two controls, a radio
button and a normal button.  The window is created just fine with a
newwindow2 call.  I also make sure a save and restore the current res Id
when any of the da routines are run.  The problem is this.  In the action
routine, when the code is 1 (for DAEvent); I call taskmasterda with the
pointer passed to my action routine (params).  Sometimes, it returns with error\
$0E03.  My question is what calls need to be made in what general order to
make taskmasterDA handle my buttons and return the CtrlID of the button that
was hit.

This NDA is supposed to change the desktop, which it does fine. The only problemI have is that sometimes the palettes get screwed up.  The first time the Init
routine is called, is send the message to the message center about the desktop.
It also sends a message that contains the color palette for the picture. The
first thing the DaInit routine does is look for that message about the color
palette.  If it's there then it knows that the message about the desktop has
already been sent and just resets the color palette.  This was done so that
it isn't always loading the file every time the da is loaded and the init rou
tine is called.  This works fine most of the time.  Some programs (like TML
pascall II, which this is written in) seem to reset the message center, because
the picture is loaded every time.  Also, sometimes after going into prodos 8 and
back, the message s still in the desk center, but the palette is screwed up.
How long due messages stay in the center?  If there is a problem with the
above algorithm, what is it?  Any and all help appreciated.

Roy
rbannon@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (10/24/89)

Sorry, the 65c02 is NOT the 65802 chip. The 65c02 chip is just the original
IIe chip made with CMOS technology (hence the C in 65c02). It still only runs
at 8 bits and still only acceses directly the first 64K (after that you do
bank switching). IT IS NOT A GS CPU CHIP! The GS can access the sam commands
because it was created with just that in mind. Not only does it acces 16 bit
commands, it also can access ALL the old 8 bit commands. Therefore it wouldn't
do anything at all (except maybe ruin your computer)!
                                                          ...Sal
cause

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (10/25/89)

In article <8910180053.aa04251@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) writes:
>One question that's bothered me for a while.  The TransWarp IIe has a 65C02, or
>65802 on it, right?  And it make yer 'puter buzz along at what, 3.6Mhz?  Then
>you've get yer nifty little Zip and Rocket chips that replace the 65C02 on a
>IIe (or IIc, for arguements sake).  So what happens if you put a 10Mhz Rocket
>Chip on a TransWarp?
>Just wondering....
>
>Osiris

Well, the Zip/Rocket Chips IGNORE the 1 MHz clock from the Apple
motherboard, so they would still ignore the 3.58 MHz clock from the
TransWarp.  Matthew Stier had a good point though, the replacement CPU
might be able to access memory at 3.58 MHz instead of 1 MHz.  But I would
think that there would still be problems with the Zip/Rocket trying to
synchronize with the TransWarp clock, which is constantly changing as it
tries to stay in sync with the 1 MHz clock.

While I'm on the subject, I've been meaning to mention that the TransWarp
is a good consideration for slot based acceleration.  The price is coming
down, and you get much more memory with the TransWarp.  I own one for my
II Plus (clone) and it performs flawlessly with all my software and
commercial peripherals (my "custom" slot cards complain a little).  I
chose the TransWarp because it offers more consistent speedup.  The Zip
only has 8 K of RAM, so if you access a 32 K array, you will be running
at 1 MHz for the most part.  I was developing sound sampling hardware for
my Plus, so 8 K wasn't enough.  Besides, the TransWarp gives my Plus all
the 128 K RAM of a //e!  The Zip and Rocket limit you to 8 bits also, but
the TransWarp has the option for the 16 bit W65C802.

Of course, the TransWarp only works on Apples with slots AND the newer
replacement processors do run faster than the TransWarp.  (Until the next
TransWarp is released!)

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

stout@hpscdc.scd.hp.com (Tim Stoutamore) (10/25/89)

/ hpscdc:comp.sys.apple / SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET / 12:33 pm  Oct 23, 1989 /
Sorry, the 65c02 is NOT the 65802 chip. The 65c02 chip is just the original
IIe chip made with CMOS technology (hence the C in 65c02).
                                                          ...Sal

The 65c02 is not just a CMOS version of the original IIe chip (the 6502).
Besides moving from CMOS to NMOS, the number of addressing modes and in-
structions were increased.

Tim Stoutamore

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct20.193558.15449@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rbannon@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (Roy Bannon) writes:
>I am having a little trouble writing an NDA using the taskmaster to track
>the controls.  [...] In the action
>routine, when the code is 1 (for DAEvent); I call taskmasterda with the
>pointer passed to my action routine (params).  Sometimes, it returns with error
>$0E03.

Error $0E03 means that some RESERVED bits in the wmTaskMask field of the
extended task record you passed to TaskMasterDA were set.  The problem is
that you're taking a pointer to an *event record* (16 bytes) and using it
as a pointer to an extended task record (more than 16 bytes, including the
wmTaskMask field, which you must set).

So:  copy the event record into your own space, set the wmTaskMask field
to something valid, and then call TaskMasterDA with a pointer to your
own record--don't give it the same pointer the Desk Manager gave your DA.

>[...] How long due messages stay in the center? [...]

Messages stay in the MessageCenter until somebody deletes them.  I don't
think the system ever deletes message 2, and I hope some of your weirdness
goes away once you start calling TaskMasterDA as outlined above.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.