[comp.sys.apple] User Tool Set

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (10/22/89)

   I'm trying to install a user tool set.  What I have is some code that I want
modules loaded at run-time to use.  I dug into the ToolBox Ref vol2, and
followed the instructions given in Appendix A.  However, when I run my program
(which installs the toolset) the system hangs inside the SetTSPtr routine. I
traced the problem to the fact that an incorrect function pointer address
is being referenced.
   I've checked and double-checked my code, and I believe it's right (as
specified in App. A).  I remember that there was some discussion a while back
on this subject, but didn't pay attention then.

   Here is the important bit of the code...
	pushword #$8000	;user tool set
	pushword #66	;tool #66
	pushlong #CallTable
	_SetTSPtr	;do it
CallTable	START
		long (TheEnd-CallTable)/4
		long x-1
		long y-1
		...etc...

Is the toolset number 66 a problem? I don't think it should matter, since
the Locator expands the TPT to the proper size. Or should I just use #2?
(#1 seems to be some sort of default user tool, somewhere in ROM).

Perplexedly...

jawaid bazyar    jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  Junior/Computer Engineering UIUC

Seepage from deep,black,brittle experiments which failed and transformations too
hard to find. "I was overcome and turned to Red." Duster's dust became the sale.
Lucifer the light. A restless motion came to move and then subside. In endless
knocking at the door- it's time. TYRANNY & MVTATION. TYRANNY & MVTATION.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct22.024748.19492@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>I'm trying to install a user tool set.  What I have is some code that I want
>modules loaded at run-time to use.  I dug into the ToolBox Ref vol2, and
>followed the instructions given in Appendix A.  However, when I run my program
>(which installs the toolset) the system hangs inside the SetTSPtr routine. I
>traced the problem to the fact that an incorrect function pointer address
>is being referenced.

I don't see what's wrong from your code--send me something I can load on
my machine & I'll figure it out.  Note that SetTSPtr calls your
xxxBootInit function after it installs your toolset.

>Is the toolset number 66 a problem? I don't think it should matter, since
>the Locator expands the TPT to the proper size. Or should I just use #2?
>(#1 seems to be some sort of default user tool, somewhere in ROM).

Nope, there are *no* user toolsets installed unless an application installs
some.  Any toolset number from 1 to 255 is fine.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.