[comp.sys.apple] IIGS Sound Digitizers

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (10/12/89)

I'm about ready to buy a new stereo and digitizer card, and I've been
considering the FutureSound card and AE's SonicBlaster, but I haven't
seen the FutureSound card advertised lately.  Does anyone know if they
are still in business?  I'm also wary about buying the SonicBlaster
because I'm not so sure about it's compatability with current sound
related software products (it's apparently not compatable with EA's
Instant Synthesizer, but the FutureSound and SuperSonic digitizers
are, according to EA).  Is anyone using the SonicBlaster to create
digitized sounds for use with Instant Synthesizer?  (it has been my
experience that often times, it seems tech support has no idea what
they are talking about and will give you any answer rather than
saying "I don't know" 8)

How do both cards rate for compatability with other music products
(e.g., Music Studio)?

Does the FutureSound card record both stereo channels at the same
time.  (I used to have the supersonic digitizer, and it had stereo
input but only one channel at a time, which is why I sold it). Does it
double as a stereo output card as well?

How about documentation and programming support?  (I plan on writing
some IIGS music software that will allow digitizing and use of
digitized sound files, and some decent documentation on how to access
and use the digitizer/stereo card from software would be a real help.
The one page 'explanation' that I got from MDIdeas when I requested
it was a joke.  All it said was something like "...repepeatedly read
such and such ..."  with no sample source code or anything (not even
a line or two).  Needless to say it wasn't very helpful.)

Pricewise, I like the SonicBlaster best, but it'll be a waste of my
money if it doesn't do what I'd like it to do (i.e., work with IIGS
music software).

I'd also be interested in comments on any of the other cards
available on the market.

Please email replies, and if there is interest, I will post a summary.

Thanks in advance,
Ray Rankins

BTW: what's the best price anyone has found on the FutureSound card
lately?
Ray Rankins
INTERNET:	rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
COMPUSERVE:	71131,3236
<insert standard disclaimer here>

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (10/12/89)

Network Comment: to #1160 by crdgw1!zaire!rankins@uunet.uu.net

> SonicBlaster - FutureSound comparison

You mentioned that you wanted to do programming. Applied Engineering has not
published the proprietary formats they're using to achieve stereo, or any of
the various formats their software can save.

Yes, you can probably figure things out, and I do like the SonicBlaster quite
a lot, but they aren't doing a darn thing to help programmers. If you're
wanting to program sounds based on AE's stereo format, plan on figuring the
format out on your own.

... haven't used a FutureSound.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/89)

     AE also puts out ther Audio Animator, which does considerably more
than the Sonic Blaster.  It may be more compatible with current software,
although it comes with it's own.  I haven't used it or even seen a demo,
but I did want to mention it.  List price is $229, I think.

							Ken.

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (10/13/89)

I personally own an Applied Engineering Sonic Blaster.

I find it works with almost everything.  It comes with two disks of software,
one which is called Audio Art, which contains several pre-recorded sounds for
you to mess around with... the second is a utility disk which allows you to
record sounds from an optional microphone or stereo system... even a
walkman... also you can playback sounds, edit them, etc. etc.

If you're worried about documentation, the Sonic Blaster comes with a detailed
65 page manual that gives you information on basically everything you ever
wanted to know (or didn't want to know) about this peripheral.

The Sonic Blaster lets you play and save sound files from the following
different formats:  AIFF (Apple's standard), Raw Data format (straight
binary), AE (Applied Engineering's own), 2:1 Compressed, and 2:67:1
Compressed.  It records and playbacks in either stereo or mono.  You can do
all kinds of crazy things with it, like echo and fading...  I haven't spent
that much time experimenting with it, but it seems to be totally sufficient
for my needs.

The only complaint I've consistently heard is regarding the volume controls
that have to be adjusted on the card (which I agree is annoying, but not that
big of a deal).  I'd go for this card unless you need something a little more
professional; then I'd look at the Audio Animator (also made by AE, but more
bucks).

I had an MDIdeas Super Sonic card which I would consider barely adequate;
their documentation was somewhat lacking...

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (10/16/89)

Network Comment: to #6132 by usc!henry.jpl.nasa.gov!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez@ucsd.edu

Can you import Mac sound files? Also does AE's Audio Animator do anything more
than the Sonic blaster(apart from the midi interface)? Thanks.

 Philip McDunnough    ->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
:University of Toronto

In article <8910161512.AA17112@trout.nosc.mil> philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Can you import Mac sound files?
> ..rest deleted..

	Yes, you can INDEED import Mac sound files. I do not know if there
are multiple ways of having digitized sounds saved on the Mac, but the
one form that I've used has ALWAYS worked. [Meaning I think there's a
"standard" form that things like SoundMaster INIT use]

	I copied them over with that program with the Mac system that
copies over to ProDOS disks..Apple File Exchange or something like that..

	I had to change them all to text file type...Or rather SoundStudio
didn't list them in the file type they were originally so I just changed them
all to text files...will probably work with lots of other file types...

	To make them sound better, I'd load them in, then SCALE DOWN, then
the Mac...They don't seem to sound as good as they did originally on the Mac,
but it's still neat having the LumberJack song on my GS...
{I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I drink all night and sleep all day...something
like that}  I also have the speaking part of the intro to Star Trek The
Next Generation...I don't know why they don't sound quite as good but
they're still good enough.

	Hope that helps... If anyone wants to trade sound files, just
mail me at the address at the end of this letter..

--

	unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/18/89)

The format I have been able to port between Mac and IIGS are Mac
BEEPSOUNDS.  Just make sure it is in the Beepsound format and use
apple file exchange to move it to a prodos disk.

Seymour

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/19/89)

In article <5917@portia.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>I don't know why they don't sound quite as good but they're still good enough.

It may have something to do with a design botch in the IIGS use of the
Ensoniq, in that a 0 sound level does something unexpected (documented,
so it's an official "feature").  I don't have my references at hand.
Try changing all 0 bytes to contain 1 instead and see if it sounds better.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/27/89)

In article <11342@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
[...]
>It may have something to do with a design botch in the IIGS use of the
>Ensoniq, in that a 0 sound level does something unexpected (documented,
>so it's an official "feature").  I don't have my references at hand.
>Try changing all 0 bytes to contain 1 instead and see if it sounds better.

A 0 does something documented:  it stops the sound (for that oscillator).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (10/27/89)

>[...]
>>It may have something to do with a design botch in the IIGS use of the
>>Ensoniq, in that a 0 sound level does something unexpected (documented,
>>so it's an official "feature").  I don't have my references at hand.
>>Try changing all 0 bytes to contain 1 instead and see if it sounds better.
>
>A 0 does something documented:  it stops the sound (for that oscillator).
>--

There is a tech note on this problem, it is in the Ensoniq chip I believe
not in the design of the IIgs because the tech note said the only real fix was
an updated Ensoniq chip.  The tech note suggests a work around.  If I remember
correctly the problem occurs with a transition through zero, it causes an
unexpected sound that can make quiet pieces of sound sound full of noise.
The work around was to simply not use 0.  It only throws your note off by a
small margin and sounds much better than the noise.  I don't know if Ensoniq
ever fixed the bug.  The noise is less noticeable in loud passages.  This does
not affect the way you use commercial programs for making sound, only the
programming of sound.  Presumably the commercial programs contain workarounds.

Rick