[comp.sys.apple] 5.0.x and appleshare question

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/27/89)

In article <12344@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>ok, but that still doesn't answer my question, what's the best upgrade path
>from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2; why is 5.0.2 so much better (bug fixes?) and more
>importantly, why does the Appleshare FST REQUIRE AFP 2.0 on the server??

The best upgrade to 5.0.2 is to run the 5.0.2 Installer scripts and install
it.  (Since 5.0.1 was never released, I'm not going to waste my time trying
to figure out which of the 5.0.2 bug fixes were not in 5.0.1.)

I don't know specifically why The AppleShare FST requires AFP 2.0.  I assume
that there is a good reason (you can assume whatever you want).  I don't
even know how AFP 2.0 differs from previous versions--do you?

>ATTN MATT, DAVE: I have a list of bug/quirk reports about the 5.0.1 finder,
>system, and installer. Where should I send them or should I check out 5.0.2
>before I open my fat yap.

Go ahead and send them to me.  The Finder did not change between 5.0 and 5.0.2,
and I don't think the Installer did, either.  If some of the problems were
fixed in 5.0.2, it'll be simple enough to say to.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (10/27/89)

[line muncher]

>>importantly, why does the Appleshare FST REQUIRE AFP 2.0 on the server??
>
>I don't know specifically why The AppleShare FST requires AFP 2.0.  I assume
>that there is a good reason (you can assume whatever you want).  I don't
>even know how AFP 2.0 differs from previous versions--do you?

In this vein, I just tried using PSN (Personal Server Network) from PT, Inc.
(This is the program that lets the Mac run a a non-dedicated AFP Server) and
I got the message "The Server you want uses an incompatible version of AFP,
You cannot connect to it" when I tried to log on from the AppleShare CDEV in
the Control Panel.  The PSN Server Shows up and you can select it, but when
you click OK you get the message above.  I have a call in to IPT to see if
there is a fix.  The packing slip says that it is version 1.3 of the pro-
gram.

It is entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong. After I talk to their
tech support I'll post a followup message.

Rick Fincher