[comp.sys.apple] backup programs

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (10/20/89)

Is there a hard drive backup program that works with the new files supported
by GS/OS 5.0 (data/resource forks)?  If anyone knows, please respond via
e-mail.

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (10/22/89)

On Fri, 20 Oct 89 04:49:42 GMT Shawn P. Stanley said:
>Is there a hard drive backup program that works with the new files supported
>by GS/OS 5.0 (data/resource forks)?  If anyone knows, please respond via
>e-mail.

How 'bout responding in public?  I know a few people with the same question.

Osiris

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV (Doug Ashbrook) (10/23/89)

> On Fri, 20 Oct 89 04:49:42 GMT Shawn P. Stanley said:
> >Is there a hard drive backup program that works with the new files supported
> >by GS/OS 5.0 (data/resource forks)?  If anyone knows, please respond via
> >e-mail.
>
> How 'bout responding in public?  I know a few people with the same question.
>
> Osiris

I would recommend the backup program that comes with ProSel-16.  This
program can do incremental backups as well as full ones.  ProSel-16
costs $60 (it includes ProSel-8 also) and is only available directly
from the author:

     Glen E. Bredon
     521 State Road
     Princeton, NJ  08540

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/23/89)

In article <3@marilyn.UUCP>, shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) writes:

> Is there a hard drive backup program that works with the new files supported
> by GS/OS 5.0 (data/resource forks)?  If anyone knows, please respond via
> e-mail.

Try Glen Bredon's ProSel-16 backup program.  It will backup resource files
(extended files) and do stuff like error correction also.  Pretty cool, and
ShrinkIt/GS will almost certainly never have anything like it unless I have
a whole year off from school and work (not likely).  :-)

andy

--
----
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu

emerrill@tippy.uucp (10/24/89)

/* Written 11:49 pm  Oct 19, 1989 by shawn@marilyn in tippy:apple */
>Is there a hard drive backup program that works with the new files supported
>by GS/OS 5.0 (data/resource forks)?  If anyone knows, please respond via
>e-mail.

Better, yet...  Respond by the net, 'cause I'm sure there's a lotta people
out here who would be interested.  Glen Bredon's backup works, but it makes
full backups (as contrasted to incremental backups).  Anybody know of any
good incremental backup utils?

 |  Eric Merrill  tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu |
 |    My other witty .sig is in the shop being repaired.   |
 |_________________________________________________________|

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (10/26/89)

In article <145300009@tippy> emerrill@tippy.uucp writes:

>/* Written 11:49 pm  Oct 19, 1989 by shawn@marilyn in tippy:apple */
>>Is there a hard drive backup program that works with the new files supported
>>by GS/OS 5.0 (data/resource forks)?  If anyone knows, please respond via
>>e-mail.
>
>Better, yet...  Respond by the net, 'cause I'm sure there's a lotta people
>out here who would be interested.  Glen Bredon's backup works, but it makes
>full backups (as contrasted to incremental backups).  Anybody know of any
>good incremental backup utils?

Glen Bredon's Prosel-16 does full backups, incremental backups, and supports
backups by script (allowing you to specify only certain subdirectories,
files, etc.  It also allows for selective restores.  With its support of
extended files (aka resources forks) and error checking capability, it is
IMHO, the best 60 bucks I ever spent.  (BTW, the newest version is v8.0)

One thing I would like to see is a catalog disk feature that knows on which
backup disk a particular file resides.  (i.e.  restore Appleworks.GS and the
application prompts you for /BU.14, instead of searching for the disk with
the file you want.)

One happy customer.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

jib@prism.TMC.COM (10/26/89)

RE: Backups for System Disk 5.0...

Glen Bredons Backup program that is built into ProSel-16 (not the
stand-alone backup utility that comes with ProSel-8) is an INCREMENTAL
backup program that works fine with all files (including files with
resource forks).  It has optional error correction, too. (So that backups
are nearly bullet proof).

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/28/89)

Glen Bredon's Prosel 16 backup makes incrementals and full backups.
It can do incrementals based on several different flags also.  It
works fine for me.

Seymour Joseph