[comp.sys.apple] Multiple ".SYSTEM" inits

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (10/28/89)

In article <11036@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) writes:
>Another solution is to use the QUIT routines that install themselves
>upon running a SYS file.  SQUIRT (and I presume SQUIRT-16) do this.
>Make SQUIRT.SYSTEM the first system file, and it runs, moves itself into
>memory, and runs the next .SYSTEM file.  This kind of solution requires
>NO effort when you change ProDOS versions.

I'd like any opinions on whether it is possible to string multiple
.SYSTEM init files in this manner.  I'd like to write several independant
init files which would all transfer control to the next eligible SYS file
in the (root?) directory.  How does the current SYS file transfer control
to the next?  I would assume that you would need to relocate the running
program to an area of memory that wound NOT be used by the next SYS file
and then load the first .SYSTEM file which appears in the directory AFTER
the current program.

Can I assume that $0800-$1FFF is a safe place to relocate to for the
purpose of loading the next .SYSTEM file?  <- This is my main question.

Or is there a ProDOS call which might transfer control to the next
.SYSTEM file rather than loading it manually and jumping to $2000?

I haven't gone home to check the ProDOS 8 Ref, but can you determine the
order of the files in the directory?  I don't want to end up with an
endless loop executing the first two SYS files.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP