[comp.sys.apple] file compression

yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) (10/25/89)

	I have seen files which end in ".Z" and they cannot be de-compressed
using BINSCII nor SHRINKIT. Therefore I presume that it is some other
compression format. Does anyone have a program which can decompress such
files or know of an FTP site which has the program?
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   |||||||The Korean from Hong Kong.||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|UUCP    : rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4  ||||||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||||
|_______________________________________|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/25/89)

In article <8910250355.AA02351@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu>, yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) writes:

> 	I have seen files which end in ".Z" and they cannot be de-compressed
> using BINSCII nor SHRINKIT. Therefore I presume that it is some other
> compression format. Does anyone have a program which can decompress such
> files or know of an FTP site which has the program?

They're compressed with unix COMPRESS.  It's an LZW compression program
available at a ton of FTP sites and does quite well when compressing.  :-)

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                                 uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (10/26/89)

In article <8910250355.AA02351@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) writes:

|	I have seen files which end in ".Z" and they cannot be de-compressed
|using BINSCII nor SHRINKIT. Therefore I presume that it is some other
|compression format. Does anyone have a program which can decompress such
|files or know of an FTP site which has the program?
| _____________________________________________________________________________
||Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   |||||||The Korean from Hong Kong.||||||
||Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||UUCP    : rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4  ||||||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||||
||_______________________________________|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your file is compressed with the UNIX(tm) 'compress' utility.  Have access to a unix
machine? Upload the file to it, and do an 'uncompress file', then download the result.

A GS version of compress was posted to 'comp.binaries.apple2' awhile back.  Since I
don't own a //gs I haven't used it or tested it.  I do have it on file and can forward
if desired.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (10/26/89)

Sorry for posting this folks, but this is to Matthew

I have a copy of Kermit 3.86.
I can't figure out how to reply to your address on this dang vms
system.

Tamara

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (10/28/89)

I believe the .Z filename ending refers to a UNIX compression, not something
like ShrinkIt or BinSCII. Try "uncompress <file>" on your UNIX system.  Of
course, this didn't work when I got moria from husc6 -- saying "uncompress
moria01.Z" on a 40K file eventually ended up with a file that went over my
disk quota.  And moria has 13 files.  Does anyone else have any ideas?

Howard
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (Mike Harrison) (10/28/89)

In article <2993@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:
>I believe the .Z filename ending refers to a UNIX compression, not something
>like ShrinkIt or BinSCII. Try "uncompress <file>" on your UNIX system.  Of
>course, this didn't work when I got moria from husc6 -- saying "uncompress
>moria01.Z" on a 40K file eventually ended up with a file that went over my
>disk quota.  And moria has 13 files.  Does anyone else have any ideas?
>
>Howard
>huang@husc4.harvard.edu

Yes, .Z is definitely Unix compress. The uncompressed moria01 is only 67K
so I suspect that you may not have changed the type to "bin" before
getting the compressed file. Failing to specify bin results in a corrupted
file. So type "bin" before doing a get. This should work.

Mike
mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu