[comp.sys.apple] Font Suitcase Files

saa33413@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Scott A. Alfter") (10/24/89)

I've transferred lots of Macintosh font suitcase files onto ProDOS disks.
I hope to break these suitcases down into their constituent font files so
I can use the fonts on my IIe with TimeOut SuperFonts and 816/Paint.

Does anyone out there know anything about suitcase files?  Articles in
A2-Central and Call-A.P.P.L.E. describe the format of the fonts themselves.
However, no Apple II publication in its right mind would publish the format
of a Macintosh file.  I can recognize a font in a suitcase file, but I
need to know what headers the suitcase files themselves use.  I hope to
write a program, running under ProDOS 8, that will automatically (or at
least, semiautomatically) sift out fonts.

Yours truly,
Scott Alfter
Usenet:  alftersoft@uiuc.edu
U.S. Mail:  Scott Alfter
            Alftersoft
            URH, 716 Oglesby Hall
            1001 W. College Ct.
            Urbana, IL  61801
            USA

Mailed 23 Oct 89 @ 2221 hrs.

saa33413@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Scott A. Alfter") writes:
>I've transferred lots of Macintosh font suitcase files onto ProDOS disks.
>I hope to break these suitcases down into their constituent font files so
>I can use the fonts on my IIe with TimeOut SuperFonts and 816/Paint.
>
>Does anyone out there know anything about suitcase files?  Articles in
>A2-Central and Call-A.P.P.L.E. describe the format of the fonts themselves.
>However, no Apple II publication in its right mind would publish the format
>of a Macintosh file.  I can recognize a font in a suitcase file, but I
>need to know what headers the suitcase files themselves use.  I hope to
>write a program, running under ProDOS 8, that will automatically (or at
>least, semiautomatically) sift out fonts.
>
>Yours truly,
>Scott Alfter

Good luck.  Macintosh fonts are almost entirely stored in resources, including
NFNT, FONT and FOND resources (the latter links together a lot of FONTs in the
same family and also correlates screen fonts to Postscript fonts, or something
like that.  I'm oversimplifying because I don't have this memorized).

Although you can transfer both forks of the file using GS/OS and AppleShare or
the MPW IIgs tool DuplicateIIgs (Apple File Exchange does *not* put forked
files on ProDOS disks), ProDOS 8 will be unable to read the file.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."