[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt as disk archiver

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (10/19/89)

I've tested ShrinkIt as a disk archiver on a couple of disks and haven't
had any problems, but before I go ahead and archive all my 5.25" disks
(both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS) I wanted to ask and see if anyone had ever had
any trouble unarchiving whole disks of either operating system or had
run across some obscure bug or something.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquath@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer:  Somebody must've broken into my account.

ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) (10/20/89)

Actually, I've had a problem with ShrinkIt (2.something) as far
as disk archiving is concerned.  I can't get it to unpack a
whole disk, and I can't find anything in the docs that tells me
if I'm doing it right.  When I select the shrunk disk and hit return,
it drops back into the menu, instead of asking me where to put the
unpacked disk (what I would expect it to do.)  I hope I'm not just being
dense, but if anyone has any hints, I'd really like to hear them.

Shannon Bell
PO Box 36266   Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastbs
Internet: ccastbs@prism.gatech.edu

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/21/89)

     I've had a problem unpacking 800k disks.  They crash at various points
of the decompression, i.e. frozen thermometer.  Nothing obnoxious happens, it
resets back to the menu if I hit RESET, but the inability to unpack disks is
not convenient.

							Ken.

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/23/89)

In article <2643@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell)
writes:

> Actually, I've had a problem with ShrinkIt (2.something) as far
> as disk archiving is concerned.  I can't get it to unpack...
[..]
> but if anyone has any hints, I'd really like to hear them.

Shannon, you need to make sure that you are not using ProDOS v1.4.
v1.4 has a problem reporting whether you make an invalid appletalk call or
not.  If you use ProDOS/8 v1.5, 1.6, v1.7, v1.8 it should work fine.

Or, if you're really patient, you could wait for ShrinkIt 3.0 to come out.

andy

--
----
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu

In article <113300119@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>      I've had a problem unpacking 800k disks.  They crash at various points
> of the decompression, i.e. frozen thermometer.  Nothing obnoxious happens, it
> resets back to the menu if I hit RESET, but the inability to unpack disks is
> not convenient.

Hey folks -- could you at LEAST post a more detailed decription of problems
when you have them with shrinkit?  In this instance, it'd be nice to know
what type of machine he has, what types of stuff he has IN the machine,
what type of 3.5" drive he has (apple 3.5", unidisk, etc) and the program
he was trying to unpack along with any sort of stuff you can figure out
about what shrinkit's trying to do.

I can't help you if I don't know what's going on... :-)

andy

--
----
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA,  18018    GEnie, AppleLink PE: shrinkit        CIS: 70007,3141

chines@pro-europa.cts.com (Clifford Hines) (10/25/89)

Comment to message from: nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu!gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!tank!eecae!netnews.upenn.edu!vax1.cc.lehigh.edu!vlsi3b15!batman!nicholaA@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andy Nicholas)

Andy: What is the LATEST version of shrinkit-8? I have Shrinkit 2.1 dated
July 1989 and Shrinkit 2.2 dated April of this year, which is correct?
Thanks

Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-europa.cts.com

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (10/25/89)

I don't know that this is a problem with ShrinkIt itself, but after
I downloaded the HyperC files from husc6 and unarchived it (it's a
compressed 140K disk), the disk wouldn't boot properly.  Of course
this could be a problem with HyperC and not ShrinkIt.

Howard Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (10/26/89)

In article <2968@husc6.harvard.edu>, huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang)
writes:

>I don't know that this is a problem with ShrinkIt itself, but after
>I downloaded the HyperC files from husc6 and unarchived it (it's a
>compressed 140K disk), the disk wouldn't boot properly.  Of course
>this could be a problem with HyperC and not ShrinkIt.

Howard, could you like email me the file you downloaded? (i don't have
access to any ftp sites without more work than I have time for right now :)

I recall that there was a problem with HyperC using a non-standard OS
whose structure was like that of ProDOS and when earlier versions of ShrinkIt
before 2.1 went to pack the whole disk, it would try to auto-optimize the
disk and munge it incredibly.

In other words if you get an original of Hyper-C and then pack it with
ShrinkIt 2.1 that shouldn't happen any more.  The problem is that all these
sites have HyperC packed with Shrinkit 1.x or 2.0x...

If, however, you repack it and you have many of the same problems, let me
know because that should *NOT* happen with ShrinkIt 2.1.  And yes, please
beware of the bug in Shrinkit 2.1 when formatting 5.25" disks when you've
launched Shrinkit 2.1 from System 5.0 or 5.0.2... it will not format the
disk correctly and you subsequently end up with it hollering "I/O Error"
at you.  This happens ONLY with 5.25" disks, ONLY when launched from System 5.0
(as far as I know).  If you have ShrinkIt 2.1a from AppleLink PE (er,
America Online) then this bug has been fixed in that copy.  Shrinkit 3.0
doesn't have this problem (let's certainly hope not... geez... :-)

andy

yes, to those on the net, I suddenly discovered that vnews has an "f" key. :-)

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                                 uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/26/89)

>In article <113300119@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>     I've had a problem unpacking 800k disks.  They crash at various points
>>of the decompression, i.e. frozen thermometer.  Nothing obnoxious happens, it
>>resets back to the menu if I hit RESET, but the inability to unpack disks is
>>not convenient.

>Hey folks -- could you at LEAST post a more detailed decription of problems
>when you have them with shrinkit?  In this instance, it'd be nice to know
>what type of machine he has, what types of stuff he has IN the machine,
>what type of 3.5" drive he has (apple 3.5", unidisk, etc) and the program
>he was trying to unpack along with any sort of stuff you can figure out
>about what shrinkit's trying to do.

>I can't help you if I don't know what's going on... :-)

     Sorry.  Here it goes:  I have a ROM 01 GS, Apple 3.5" and 5.25" drives,
1.25 Meg, and a Datalink 2400 modem (if it matters) in slot 2.
     I'm running ShrinkIt versions 2.1, 2.02, and 0.97, all with the same
problem.  The disks I've tried to archive either contained Sys 4.0 and some
Sys16 files, or $C1 files.  I copy the SHK archive of the 800k disk to /RAM5,
and unpack it to S5,D1.  I've tried formatting the disk in drive 1 first, but
no go.  I've tried ProDOS 8 versions 1.7 and 1.8 over GS/OS v3.0, and I've
gone in through both the Shrinkit.System and Shrinkit SYS files.
     I can List Archive fine, and the decompression starts out ok, but when
it gets to about the midpoint (varies, +/- inch or so) of the thermometer,
the thermometer stops, and the drive light goes out...nothing.  The only thing
it responds to is RESET, which takes me to the main menu.
     I would assume that if ShrinkIt hit a corrupt file it would say so, not
go comatose so easily.  The files could have been corrupt, they had been on
a few pretty used disks, so it IS possible.  That's about all I can think of,
hope it helped.

>andy

>--
>----
>Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
>Box 435, Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit
>Bethlehem, PA,  18018    GEnie, AppleLink PE: shrinkit        CIS: 70007,3141

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964
I'm 17 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
   and proud of it.  If I my opinions are not those of the U of I, they're
      out of luck.  They're the ones giving away 6,000 signons a year!

In article <113300132@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>      I'm running ShrinkIt versions 2.1, 2.02, and 0.97, all with the same
> problem.  The disks I've tried to archive either contained Sys 4.0 and some

[... stuff deleted ...]

>      I can List Archive fine, and the decompression starts out ok, but when
> it gets to about the midpoint (varies, +/- inch or so) of the thermometer,
> the thermometer stops, and the drive light goes out...nothing.  The only thing
> it responds to is RESET, which takes me to the main menu.
>      I would assume that if ShrinkIt hit a corrupt file it would say so, not
> go comatose so easily.  The files could have been corrupt, they had been on
> a few pretty used disks, so it IS possible.  That's about all I can think of,
> hope it helped.

Actually, if you'd have hit bad data it would have much more easily have
given you a little message that says "Data Corrupted, Err $81" in version 2.1
of shrinkit. (3.0 and GSSHK shouldn't do that because they can unpack the
file/disk and tell you what portion was blown).

I'm not exactly sure from your description what's wrong with either shrinkit
of the files you are unpacking, but you are correct in saying that shrinkit
shouldn't hang when unpacking.

My advice (not worth much) is that you first make sure the disk you are
formatting is 100% OK, and then check the archive that you are unpacking
to be sure that it's also 100% ok (you can do this by archiving another 3.5"
disk on your own and then unpacking it to be sure that that option works
correctly on your machine).

If you notice anything else bizzare going on, by all means let us know and
someone on the net will probably have a fix for you... :-)

andy

--

In article <8910260804.AA12444@trout.nosc.mil>, chines@pro-europa.cts.com
(Clifford Hines) writes:

> Andy: What is the LATEST version of shrinkit-8? I have Shrinkit 2.1 dated
> July 1989 and Shrinkit 2.2 dated April of this year, which is correct?
> Thanks

ShrinkIt 2.1 is the latest version of ShrinkIt for the IIe/c.  The
previous version was Shrinkit 2.02, which was released in April, not
2.2 (there *IS* a difference).

There was never a ShrinkIt 2.2

BTW -- I've come to realize that folks have a hard time keeping version
       number straight, which was why originally I was only using 2
       numbers (like 1.0, 1.1, etc), but am going to use the Apple
       version numbering system of 5.0 -- 5.0.2, etc.  Folks seem to
       remember it better if you have that extra decimal point after
       the second digit rather than 5.02

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA  18018                   GEnie: shrinkit
-- I'm finally a Senior!      America Online: shrinkit        CIS: 70007,3141

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (10/29/89)

<writes:
<
<>I don't know that this is a problem with ShrinkIt itself, but after
<>I downloaded the HyperC files from husc6 and unarchived it (it's a
<>compressed 140K disk), the disk wouldn't boot properly.  Of course
>>this could be a problem with HyperC and not ShrinkIt.
<
<Howard, could you like email me the file you downloaded? (i don't have
<access to any ftp sites without more work than I have time for right now :)
<
<I recall that there was a problem with HyperC using a non-standard OS
<whose structure was like that of ProDOS and when earlier versions of ShrinkIt
<before 2.1 went to pack the whole disk, it would try to auto-optimize the
<disk and munge it incredibly.
<
<In other words if you get an original of Hyper-C and then pack it with
<ShrinkIt 2.1 that shouldn't happen any more.  The problem is that all these
<sites have HyperC packed with Shrinkit 1.x or 2.0x...

If you're using a gs, the copy of HyperC at husc6 doesn't work, since it
has a BRK, which causes a jump to the language card on a IIe, but to ROM
on the gs (or something like that), so it hangs upon boting.  To get it
working, enter the monitor, enter E1:0010: 5C D4 D0 00, and boot with
6 ctrl-p. I also have a patch for the disk, but I haven't tried it yet.

>andy

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu